Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Just returned from Pheasants in South Dakota. Great trip, lots of Birds. Went with Wilkeshunter from here and his friend Bruce. Along with a loooog time hunting friend and his Son. We tramped along behind Merlot and Clancy. If any are looking to test their Dog, legs and shooting against Wild Pheasants, I can highly recommend Birddog Bunkhouse for all three.

On the way, outside of Chicago thing were a little slippery.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

However, the weather was about perfect for the rest of the trip.

Wilkeshunter, his Bud Bruce and Merlot.

Bruce and his first ever Wild Rooster.

Phil his Son and Clancy.

One more that Merlot pushed out for me.

As the others finished up the day trying for one more Bird, Merlot and I watched them flush a couple more, along with others flying in to roost for the night.

Last edited by battue; 11/18/19.

laissez les bons temps rouler
BP-B2

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Great show battue, see that little 28 is still at the top of you list.. Glad you had a great trip and got home safe..

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looks like a great time, thanks for coming.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Looks like a great trip, good for you

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks, it was a great trip and the people of SD were friendly.

I split my 10 day license and am already trying to figure out how to use those last 5 days.

IC B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Man, did we have great trip South Dakota to hunt pheasants!

Many thanks to dukxdog. Best host ever. Despite all the walking/hunting, I believe I actually gained weight. The accommodations were perfect for our group of hunters and dogs.

Many thanks to Merlot and Clancy for working so hard to put birds up for us.

Many thanks to battue, dog handler extraordinaire, despite not having an e-collar remote part of the time. wink

I was honored to hunt and spend time with the fine folks that made up our group. Great memories!

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
I suspect all that whistle blowing gave more than one Pheasant advance warning. frown

Combined with that little 35minute disappearing act, when Merlot was making his own fun in the corn...."Woopie, there goes one, hey and another. Them boys should really get off their azz and move up!"

Last edited by battue; 11/18/19.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good Stuff! Glad you all had a grand trip.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
As a kid, I grew up on Wild Pheasants and this was like going back in time. They often run out from the best of Dogs, or they come up cussing that you had the gall to interrupt them. They let you see them land and then disappear. They often will test your shooting ability. They can take a pounding and still escape. On the table they are excellent.

They were introduced to this land, yet they have become a National treasure.

Last edited by battue; 11/20/19.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Awesome Battue and Company! Wish I was there with you guys. Looks and sounds like you had a great time.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very nice!! SoDak is on the short list of places to go next year.

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
A heads up:

For those interested in Birddog Bunkhouse, there are a couple things they need to be aware of. It is not a guided hunt operation. Essentially it provides excellent meals and a nice place to stay. The owner is a Pheasant hunter of the first order. That being said, it is best you have your own Dog or be with someone who does have a Dog. Thus the name Birddog Bunkhouse. Your Dog will stay outside in an excellent kennel facility. You will be hunting public and private access land for Wild Pheasants-there are no salted fields-and will be given some general guidelines of where to hunt. Public land is for the most part walk in areas purchased by the State. They can be excellent. Private access will be right of way sections that borders private farms. They can be excellent and there is more of it than one will be able to use during their stay.

The amount of available hunting land is immense, and we encountered perhaps 5 hunters in the field during our stay. They were on one of the walk in areas. There was absolutely no problem with us staying out of each others way.

It is best that one has some prior knowledge re hunting Pheasants. How, where and when.

Last edited by battue; 11/21/19.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by battue
A heads up:

For those interested in Birddog Bunkhouse, there are a couple things they need to be aware of. It is not a guided hunt operation. Essentially it provides excellent meals and a nice place to stay. The owner is a Pheasant hunter of the first order. That being said, it is best you have your own Dog or be with someone who does have a Dog. Thus the name Birddog Bunkhouse. Your Dog will stay outside in an excellent kennel facility. You will be hunting public and private access land for Wild Pheasants-there are no salted fields-and will be given some general guidelines of where to hunt. Public land is for the most part walk in areas purchased by the State. They can be excellent. Private access will be right of way sections that borders private farms. They can be excellent and there is more of it than one will be able to use during their stay.

The amount of available hunting land is immense, and we encountered perhaps 5 hunters in the field during our stay. They were on one of the walk in areas. There was absolutely no problem with us staying out of each others way.

It is best that one has some prior knowledge re hunting Pheasants. How, where and when.

Yep, well said.

A gameland map and a partial day scouting would be beneficial too. Top it off with a turbo charged English Cocker and you should have a great hunt. grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just got home from my house in South Dakota to spend Thanksgiving with my family.

I just saw this post. Battue, Wilkeshunter and their group were a real pleasure to host. Great bunch of guys with good attitudes and healthy appetites! It's always very nice to know when guys come to my Bird Dog Bunkhouse they have had an excellent overall experience.

Thanks once again for coming out. You guys had LONG drives from home and back so I'm really happy to hear you had fun. It was my pleasure and you guys are welcome back anytime.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Gun Owners of America & NRA Life Member
https://www.facebook.com/BirdDogBunkhouse57442/
"There are a hundred things that can happen at long range and only one of them is good"
B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
A prop to the owner....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

We are looking forward to our annual trek to S.D. in a week and a half. If any forecast that far out is dependable, it looks like we will have fair weather...

Now I’ve done it.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I wish I'd known you guys were up there. Looks like a good time

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

We are looking forward to our annual trek to S.D. in a week and a half. If any forecast that far out is dependable, it looks like we will have fair weather...

Now I’ve done it.

Yeah, gonna stock up for a blizzard now. wink

Hard to say, but at least we haven't been hit with a string of Arctic blasts this year. Might even be some harvesting going on yet to keep things stirred up.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by battue
A prop to the owner....

Great pic!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
301 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 31 invisible), 2,034 guests, and 937 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,822
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.