-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My last experience with a gunsmith has me so spooked that I will never venture down that path again. Excuse after excuse, mis-aligned scope mounts, hammer marks all over the receiver, pitting covered with DuraCoat, rusty front sight joint oozing rust, etc. etc. And it took phughing FOREVER. This from a smith with a stellar reputation...

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
18 months

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Reloader7RM
I lose interest too fast lol.

^ that’s me there.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I waited over a year for a barrel switch and a recoil pad. He did good work and was reasonably priced, but damn!

"Give a lazy man the toughest job, and he will find the easiest way to do it"
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 3584ELK
My last experience with a gunsmith has me so spooked that I will never venture down that path again. Excuse after excuse, mis-aligned scope mounts, hammer marks all over the receiver, pitting covered with DuraCoat, rusty front sight joint oozing rust, etc. etc. And it took phughing FOREVER. This from a smith with a stellar reputation...

Name him out and save someone from the same. At least they will be prepared if they choose him.

"Mark the birds and handle your Dog"
IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
From the things I learned from gunsmithing training / starting my gunsmithing shop

Things to think about with metal work..

1) Do you want a custom reamer ? - that’s going to take extra time (3-8 months).
2). Are you having a barrel made vs. buying off the shelf - This can add considerable time.

IF... you are going the custom barrel and custom reamer direction - order them, get them in hand, and get them to your smith...

A Few things to be careful off...

A). The DIAMETER of the barrel Shank matching the Action (don’t get one that is way too big)...
Turning the barrel after the fact can add stress too it, so it’s best to have it made to size if you can, if it’s big it “CAN” look weird

B). IF you are thinking about putting on a muzzle break, get a cut rifle vs. button rifle barrel.. ESPECIALLY for hunting rifles
Button rifled barrels have compression stress in them, and when you remove the metal to thread the end of the barrel it bells out which can easily cause accuracy issues.
Cut rifle barrels don’t have that stress so they don’t bell out.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Too dang long! I think 2 1/2 years.

I have one now, that I give all the time in the world. He is fantastic, but busy as heck. One of the hardest working people I know. And his rifles flat out shoot. If I truly need something in a time crunch, it gets done post haste.

That in contrast with some of the egotistical, lazy, unmotivated, woe is me smith's that will never get another dime from me. No matter how skilled they are.

I am done with the fancy full blown rifles, been down that rabbit hole. You are much better off spending the time finding used customs. They may need a small tweek here and there. But the turnaround time is much, much better.

Arcus Venator
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

If you find a good gunsmith, stay on his good side. smile

He’ll help you avoid the waiting for tooling, and metal parts of the equation... the work itself takes a day or two... it’s the line of things waiting that’s the problem.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Usually about 9 months to do a complete rifle with synthetic stock supplying only the complete action.

One time the regular gunsmith was so backed up, I went to another, recommended gunsmith. In the usual amount of time all he managed to complete was the barreled action, and without a commitment to a completion deadline. I went and paid him off, gathered up the work in progress and then handed everything to the regular gunsmith who finished it pronto. He did mention that the barreled action work was superb.

Now as he edges his way into retirement, he's stopped taking in 'gunsmithing' work and only builds rifles from scratch.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
15 months. That was the 'smith supplying all of the parts.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
From the things I learned from gunsmithing training / starting my gunsmithing shop

Things to think about with metal work..

1) Do you want a custom reamer ? - that’s going to take extra time (3-8 months).
2). Are you having a barrel made vs. buying off the shelf - This can add considerable time.

IF... you are going the custom barrel and custom reamer direction - order them, get them in hand, and get them to your smith...

A Few things to be careful off...

A). The DIAMETER of the barrel Shank matching the Action (don’t get one that is way too big)...
Turning the barrel after the fact can add stress too it, so it’s best to have it made to size if you can, if it’s big it “CAN” look weird

B). IF you are thinking about putting on a muzzle break, get a cut rifle vs. button rifle barrel.. ESPECIALLY for hunting rifles
Button rifled barrels have compression stress in them, and when you remove the metal to thread the end of the barrel it bells out which can easily cause accuracy issues.
Cut rifle barrels don’t have that stress so they don’t bell out.

Your statement about cut vrs button is completely false.
A " PROPERLY" stressed relieved button barrel doesnt have anymore than a cut one does.
Case in point, the smallest group I've ever shot was .078 with a button barrel that has a muzzle break and fluted.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Sherm,

Please go give these video’s a look, I didn’t video the ones I found it on.

It does depends on what size break (how much metal you leave between the bore and the min-thread diameter).. however for hunting rifles that have thinner profile barrels it CAN BE definitely a thing. The guy in the video doesn’t IIRC, talk about cut vs. button lands - this is something I learned and tested...

Happy holidays & enjoy the videos. - page below links to multiple videos on it.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2015/04/muzzle-threading-dont-remove-too-much-steel/

BTW - if it effect the rifle there are ways to fix it.... the basic issue with long range accuracy, not short - when the barrel gets loose near the end of the muzzle - you don’t cut it back..

Last edited by Spotshooter; 12/26/19.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Dont know if I missed it but were did he talk about cut vrs button.
In my opinion taking to much material off the barrel is the biggest detriment whether it's a button or cut barrel.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
16 months but 14 of it was courtesy of McMillans backlog

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
18 months from calling and placing myself on the list to final delivery. From when I sent the parts in to delivery probably 4-6 weeks.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A year and a half after a promised delivery date of 6 months. I finally got pissed and went in and picked up all my parts. Didn't mind the wait so much as the lie.

It all worked out for the best as I found a smith that has finished about 8-10 builds without a single missed date and the work is better.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
Such as you supplying the bare action, bolt shroud/safety, new barrel, scope/rings, butt plate & grip cap, walnut blank, sling swivel studs, etc. and a small down payment??

I was quoted a 1 year turnover on a job like you mention from a guild builder.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 7_08FAN
Originally Posted by 3584ELK

Name him out and save someone from the same. At least they will be prepared if they choose him.

Mike Palazzo- Palazzo "Precision" Covington, WA

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just over two years for a 45-90 Shiloh Sharps built to my specs. Damned well worth it too.

Am at an age now, however, that I'll not commission anything that far out.

Last edited by 1minute; 12/30/19.

1Minute
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

I waited 18 years for a rifle once.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

507 members (007FJ, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 47 invisible), 2,147 guests, and 1,139 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,790
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.