Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by fredIII
Fresh from a sleep in the truck and a proof lite 9T in 7-08ai.

My wife willing to sleep in the truck all night to shoot elk! I’m living well.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Very nice! Not to derail the thread, but what bullet are you running in that 7-08AI?

GB1

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by HandgunHTR

Very nice! Not to derail the thread, but what bullet are you running in that 7-08AI?

162eldx. Lapua brass 40.5grains of H4350 cci 200 @ 2750.

Last edited by fredIII; 11/04/19.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I am certainly no "fan boy," but if Stick chimes in with his considerable experience? I will certainly give it serious consideration. Regardless of how the wisdom is conveyed.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Lorin
I am certainly no "fan boy," but if Stick chimes in with his considerable experience? I will certainly give it serious consideration. Regardless of how the wisdom is conveyed.

Spit.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Fred is the antler restrictions in WA stating you must shoot immature bulls? Is it a management area?

Last edited by shootAI; 11/15/19.
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by shootAI
Fred is the antler restrictions in WA stating you must shoot immature bulls? Is it a management area?

Westside of cascades is 3 point minimum, east side is spike, unless you draw a branched bull tag. Please quit making fun of Fred

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

You have a good women who is willing to hunt the west side of the cascades. I said it many times I hunted the trask unit in Oregon one year good lord it sucked!

Last edited by 79S; 11/15/19.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I have had at least 10 hart barrels, not a cull in the bunch. Barrels get blamed on a lot that is not the barrel's problem. It is rare to find a bad barrel made by a top maker these days.

Lot of guys don't know how to work up loads, bed rifles, and know nothing about how wind effects bullets. Barrel or gunsmith gets blamed most of the time.

There is also "service after the sale" issue that no one ever speaks of, and Hart is one of the best in customer service.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I’m an advocate of picking your smith, going with the smith on choice of barrel maker.

Some barrel companies back their product better than others, big names notwithstanding. Your smith will know. His reputation is on the line as well.

DF

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Only bad Barrel I have is from Lilja it should have been culled and it must not have been gauged at all after lapping or they would have caught it. What was discouraging is they would not even respond to my Emails when I asked if there was anything they could do. This can happen to any barrel maker but most of them would try to make it right somehow or at least respond. Last Lilja for me.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Tejano
Only bad Barrel I have is from Lilja it should have been culled and it must not have been gauged at all after lapping or they would have caught it. What was discouraging is they would not even respond to my Emails when I asked if there was anything they could do. This can happen to any barrel maker but most of them would try to make it right somehow or at least respond. Last Lilja for me.

Big name doesn't always mean "big service". Who knows the fine points of warranty and standing behind a product better than your smith, who works with barrel companies on an ongoing basis. And, don't ya think a big user of a product gets more respect than an occasional customer.... Also turnaround times can vary greatly among makers. IMO, the smith is the go to source for all this type info.

DF

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Even did ok with a green Mountain this year and the past five. 😂😂😂😉😎😎😎

Let’s play what barrels do you use to kill shït. These went with a green mountain.

I gotta give some credit to Green Mountain - I've made at least seven (might be more I'm forgetting) barrels from their blanks in the past few years, and every one of them has shot really well. To be fair, that's machining a barrel from their raw blank, not buying their complete barrels, but for a cheaper blank, their bores are pretty decent. I haven't used one of their complete barrels though, and end results depend a lot on the quality of work put into it.

I have to say the same for Black Hole as well, although I've only made a few, but those are good blanks too, and they machine really well.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
That Smith preferred Pac-Nor barrels. I will have to ask what he likes now. I bought the barrel from Mid Way and they would replace it but not do anything towards the loss for chambering. Live and learn, only buy from respected companies or the original mfg. especially the latter if any service is needed or expected.

Another DA thing on my part was my smith checked the barrel and the muzzle end was bigger than the chamber end. Should of sent it back then but didn't want to wait possibly months for a new one. I thought I could lap it in but haven't done that yet.

Rifle shoots ok around .5-1" but is prone to double groups. Changed stocks and scope and same thing. For a tomato stake it kills stuff pretty good.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
A couple of smiths I've used lately seem to have a preference for Shilen. Great service, great barrels and fast turnaround.

DF

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Only have one Shilen and it was excellent. I have heard that they don't last as long as cut rifled barrels but this is by target shooters standards. That barrel has held up fine and I keep waiting for it to go but it still shoots and shoots just about anything I throw together. The throat looks like elephant leather but so far so good.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I've heard the cut vs. button rifling thing. I'm not a target shooter, don't count my rounds in the thousands.

I have a Krieger (cut rifling) 6.5-284 with 5-600 rounds down the tube, showing some throat erosion, but still a half MOA shooter.

I have a 26 Nosler with Shilen (button rifling), around 4-500 rounds so far, looking about the same thru the Hawkeye, also a half MOA shooter.

So, I don't really care what the Hawkeye shows, the bottom line is what happens at the range. If one loses its accuracy edge, then the Hawkeye can help determine what's going on, if and when we may need a barrel swap.

DF

B
B
I have only had one custom barrel, PacNor, 6mm, 8 tw, 22" finished; put on a trued HOWA 1500 mini, chambered in 6mm AR (Grendel) custom fitted into a Cuda stock.. Shoots 1/4 MOA with 90 gn TGK. Went to get one for a 6mm Creed build, and heard the news - sad.

So now my smith is ordering one from Lilja, with Modified Kimber 84 profile (a bit thicker pipe) which will be screwed into a donor Kimber 84m action/trigger. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (10gaugemag, 300_savage, 6MMWASP, 44automag, 5sdad, 10 invisible), 2,083 guests, and 759 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,174
Posts18,465,403
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.