Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Kenetrek Grizzly's for me as well. I usually wear a pair of medium weight wool sock along with a sock liner. I'm just not a fan of heavy wool socks. Tested them again this year on a SD deer hunt. On the 3rd day of the hunt it was 8 degrees with 25 mph winds and 4 inches of snow. While I can't say me feet were warm and toasty, they never got too cold.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use Hot Mocs, similar to boot blankets, but much smaller. Easy to throw in a pack, they slip over your boot and have a pocket on the inside top for a handwarmer, around $10 on Amazon. Your feet will never get cold with them or boot blankets.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The secret to warm feet is to keep your bodies core warm (internal organs and brain). If your core temperature drops your body naturally starts to reduce blood flow to the extremities in order to keep the core warmer. Once that happens no amount of insulation on your feet is going to help. If your core is warm then your body sends more blood to the extremities in order to cool down the core. If your feet are getting cold you need a warmer hat and coat.

Another tip is to increase your bodies metabolism while on stand. Eating high energy snacks while sitting still and doing isometric exercises which require no movement will really ramp up metabolism and blood flow. I admit, I don't see sub zero temps often, but I hunt quite often with temps in the teens and single digits are not uncommon. I haven't owned a pair of insulated boots in at least 20 years. One or 2 pairs of good quality wool socks in my boots have always been enough,

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Hubert
You have to keep your azz and legs warm. you cant send cold blood to your feet and expect them to be warm. get good underwear and socks, it will make a world of difference.. you are welcome..

Much truth here.

I don't have cold feet problems. I do wear insulated boots though. However, if my ears get cold I am done for.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Honestly I think most people over insulate themselves in the boot Dept. Ive found that a pair of poly liner socks, heavy wool socks and a pair of boots that have between 200-400 grms of insulation in them and my feet stay warm. If I'm still hunting I wear uninsulated boots

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Looks like this may be the fix I am looking for..

https://sectionhiker.com/vapor-barrier-socks/

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Having hunted MN for the last 50 plus years. Keeping your feet warm can be an issue, Pac Boots work at the price of extra weight and bulk, if you are putting any miles on it matters. Pac boots are the best ice fishing boots on the planet.
Get the coldest rated sleeping bag you can find Mummy style best. Sit down and pull it up over your knees cut there. Sew in a seem and draw string get to your stand step in pull the draw string works perfect. Weighs nothing.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I use a discontinued product called Feeter Heaters. It is an insulated toe pouch with a pocket over the toe area for a small chemical heater. The heel is open but it has an elastic strap that slips over the heel to keep them on. You can wear regular boots while moving (instead of bulky pack boots) and then slip on the toe pouch when sitting. The pouches are way less bulky than the usual over boot. You could buy the Hot Mocs, cut off the heel portion and sew on elastic straps to reduce bulk. If the toe is warm the rest of the foot is not a problem.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Get a pad of closed cell foam to put your feet on. Blocks the adsorption of cold from the ground or ice.
First thing I do in a duck blind is build a mat of cattails for my feet. Adds several hours of comfort.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Guys, I currently use the Icebreaker Boot Blankets. They work fine but are bulky and a pain to deal with. Has anyone had good luck with any of the battery heated insoles? I have been reading reviews and cannot find any consistency in them. Sounds like a great idea if they work and keep working. Thoughts?

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by cv540
I have to admit that I have this fantasy of having a stand near a thermal spring, where I can hunt with my feet in bubbling warm water, but as yet I havent found the spot.

Ha ha.
Did exactly that while late season duck hunting along the Portneuf River about 12 miles north of Lava Hot Springs in Idaho around 42 years ago.
Had a few decoys out in the river and sat next to the bank with waders on and could dangle your feet in a wonderful little hot spring pool.
Shot some nice feathered out mallards too.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I have spent the evening doing research on cold feet. I just hate cold feet in a stand.

Sweat causes cold feet = I walk to my stand and my feet sweat = I go up into my stand and the moisture from the sweat freezes when I sit still= thus my feet are cold.

Step 1- https://www.mycarpe.com/carpe-foot

Step 2- https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/83567?feat=502854-plalander&csp=f

Step 3- https://sectionhiker.com/vapor-barrier-socks/

Step 4- https://reactual.com/clothing/warmest-sock.html

Step 5- https://www.baffin.com/collections/winter/products/40001305

If this does not work I am staying home smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For years I used thin polypropylene sock liners under thick winter (mostly acyrlic) socks.

This year I wore merino wool TOE SOCKS (yes) as liners under thick, high dollar merino wool socks. My feet were warmer, even when I was wearing 400 gram boots (as opposed to my usual 1200gr)

I admit it, I love toe socks. They're goofy looking, may have people questioning your masculinity/sexuality grin, relatiely expensive and a giant pain in the butt to put on. But if they weren't, I wouldn't wear anything else. As it is I usually only wear them hunting, hiking or working multi day shooting matches. My feet stay dry and blister free. Now I've started wearing wool ones as liners and my feet were warm, dry and blister free. Very happy with the results this hunting season. I just need to allow for a couple more minutes in the morning to put them on. lol

I tried toe warmers a couple days last week. At first I was disappointed they weren't what I was hoping for. But they were putting out heat, so they were helping.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A few posters have passed over sweaty feet a few times... but that is the number one killer. Why step beyond the cause to deal with sweat when you can stop the sweat before it starts?

In the lead up to cold weather I start applying antiperspirant to my feet at least once a day. I have used a bunch of different ones in an attempt to figure out which works better and never really found a real answer. But I do know that after about a week of regular applications my feet do not sweat and if I skip a few days they still do not sweat.

Light poly liner socks and DarnTough over top seem to be as good as I have found.

The other way I address cold extremities, which I virtually never get, is with niacin. A couple doses (2 grams total) and the next thing you know you are warm all over. I have them on hand with kids in the winter and it brings them right around.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Yes, some Arrid Extra Dry spray-on anti-perspirant to the feet each day before hunting makes your feet feel a lot warmer. That combined with a wicking synthetic sock liner and a wool oversock keeps my feet warm in most any below-zero weather.

And, I have, in general, cold feet and fingers.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Get the diabeetus, after a few years, you won’t feel the cold no more.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Have been using polypropylene sock liners since around 1990, give or take a couple years. Apparently didn't realize this was brand-new technology.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
grin

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I’ve considered setting them on fire several times.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (11point, 2500HD, 160user, 10ring1, 219 Wasp, 222Sako, 69 invisible), 2,837 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,334
Posts18,468,644
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.