Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I just got a Gerry walk around sleeping bag for hanging out on the porch when it is cold. Looks like one of those as seen on TV lounger robes. I think this will be just the ticket for a box blind or pop up when it is cold. This and down booties over light clothes and I was comfortable in the upper 20's. It goes over your feet or can be rolled up. Size is about like a medium to light weight sleeping bag in it's stuff sack, I will strap it to the bottom of my pack.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I never could find the Bunny Boots, but I suspect that those wouldn't be much more fun to walk in than Sorel boots are. For just a boot, my Caribou Sorel's are as good as I've ever needed with a dry liner and one pair of Smartwool socks, but not for wet or walking. For that I went with Muck Arctic Pro boots and like what was written earlier, I got them one size too small that felt great in the store, but they went back the next day for one size larger after a one afternoon late season bow hunt. A thin felt pad in the bottom of the boot helps a lot too. The boots must be dried every night though and have a new dry liner the next day. For walking a long ways I like my unlined Danners and Boot Blankets out of my pack when I get to my stand. A chemical hand warmer in each of those has been a welcome addition on a long post. Not mentioned so far is getting yourself in better shape before the hunting season for better blood flow into your extremities. That sure helps with the hands too. The Niacin supplement was a novel idea.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rifletom
Age may have something to do with all this as well. We, well, some, simply don't get around in the field like we used to. Makes a difference. Guess that's why I like upland bird chasing now. Warmer, easier. Except for Chukar. Bastids!

Just flew to Detroit, drove to extreme NW Iowa, and hunted for several days for pressured pheasant. The nicest day was 2 degrees and 10mph wind. Hard to call that warmer! Roosters flushing at 200+ yards and lots of runners.

It was tough, but the birds were plentiful and we shot enough to feel good about the whole deal. No problem keeping warm, even on the really cold days.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by andrews1958
Looks like this may be the fix I am looking for..

https://sectionhiker.com/vapor-barrier-socks/

I think I will give this a shot

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jerseyboy
There is a lot of good advice here. I took notes. I was in the LL Bean store in Paramus, NJ today and happened to look at the boots on display.

A saleswoman came over to me and started to tell me about their pac boot - leather upper, rubber bottom, wool felt liner. I have used this type of boot in the past (Sorels) and am familiar with them. I have worn them hunting and when operating excavating equipment in winter. My feet would sweat, and they got cold when my socks and the boot liners got wet with sweat.

The saleswoman told me that they are almost too warm for "around here". I mentioned that they were warm until your sweat wicked into the liner. She countered with "you need to wear wool socks, they wick the moisture". I said no, when the boot liner is wet with sweat you are cold. She didn't like that, so I walked away.

I wonder what her cold weather outdoor experience might be.

She now has experienced a cold shoulder...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My brother in law and I used to hunt up near Gardiner the last days of season after Thanksgiving, It was usally very cold and lots of snow where we went. All I ever saw him wear for the 50+ years I hunted with him was his leather cowboy boots and a pair of buckle up hi-top rubber overshoes. He never once complained and no matter how I tried to educate him, he continued to wear the same combo.
Also, my son , an avid ice fisherman, fishes and spends several days and nights on Fort Peck and what he wears and his buddies wear also are the Rubber Muck Boots.
I think he gets them from Scheels or Big R. The good ones aren't cheap either.
Me, I get back in the pick up if my feet get cold. grin

Last edited by kennymauser; 12/17/19.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BWalker
Originally Posted by JackRyan
Merino wool socks.

About the worst thing for an active hunter. They just dont wick away moisture fast enough. Feet get clammy and cold quick.
They are fine for stand hunting though .
Same story for merino underwear.
Some may disagree with the above, but that's what I have found to be true over the years.

I have no doubt this is true for you, but if so you need to work on the base problem of very sweaty feet. Lots of antiperspirant starting well before the season will reduce the amount you sweat and it will make a huge difference.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by BWalker
Originally Posted by JackRyan
Merino wool socks.

About the worst thing for an active hunter. They just dont wick away moisture fast enough. Feet get clammy and cold quick.
They are fine for stand hunting though .
Same story for merino underwear.
Some may disagree with the above, but that's what I have found to be true over the years.

I have no doubt this is true for you, but if so you need to work on the base problem of very sweaty feet. Lots of antiperspirant starting well before the season will reduce the amount you sweat and it will make a huge difference.

I plan to give it a try next year.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by rifletom
Age may have something to do with all this as well. We, well, some, simply don't get around in the field like we used to. Makes a difference. Guess that's why I like upland bird chasing now. Warmer, easier. Except for Chukar. Bastids!

Just flew to Detroit, drove to extreme NW Iowa, and hunted for several days for pressured pheasant. The nicest day was 2 degrees and 10mph wind. Hard to call that warmer! Roosters flushing at 200+ yards and lots of runners.

It was tough, but the birds were plentiful and we shot enough to feel good about the whole deal. No problem keeping warm, even on the really cold days.

Probably could have found a better route. wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by andrews1958
I have spent the evening doing research on cold feet. I just hate cold feet in a stand.

Sweat causes cold feet = I walk to my stand and my feet sweat = I go up into my stand and the moisture from the sweat freezes when I sit still= thus my feet are cold.

Step 1- https://www.mycarpe.com/carpe-foot

Step 2- https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/83567?feat=502854-plalander&csp=f

Step 3- https://sectionhiker.com/vapor-barrier-socks/

Step 4- https://reactual.com/clothing/warmest-sock.html

Step 5- https://www.baffin.com/collections/winter/products/40001305

If this does not work I am staying home smile

This is interesting. I am hunting some big public land now and the baffins won't work because of the long hike in. Seems as though you would need a wide boot with this system to keep circulation going good in a hiking boot. I was just looking at the Danner powderhorns today as my lowa GTX's have left me cold the last month or so. I have anywhere from a mile to 3 walk in with a pack and climbing stand and then climb a tree to bow hunt an all day sit.

I Kill Things......deal with it..
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
NEOS insulated overboots with uninsulated leather boots inside will take me from summer down to pretty cold. Used them in AK back in February and was quite impressed with them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pointer
NEOS insulated overboots with uninsulated leather boots inside will take me from summer down to pretty cold. Used them in AK back in February and was quite impressed with them.

Those look pretty nice!

Do or do not, there is no try.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by NDHuntr
Originally Posted by pointer

Those look pretty nice!
Worked a lot better than I expected and for what I do fit my uses at a better price point than more expensive pac boots. During our gun season in November, I hunted in tennis shoes under these things. Feet never got cold, though we only saw lows in the 20s. That said, a boot/shoe that fills the over boot more makes them a bit easier to walk in. The tennis shoes alone weren't bad, just not quite as good as my hikers that are a tighter fit.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have a pair of Sorel Glacier boots. Kind of clumsy and heavy but warm. Dont walk fast or you will sweat.
I bought a pair or Mickey Mouse boots at a garage sale. It hasn't really been very cold since I bought them. Lol
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Truthfully, I don't keep my feet warm on stand. They always get cold. I think my boots were too tight. I've been wearing better socks, looser boots and stand up for some time to get the circulation going.

If I'm walking around at all, I don't need much insulation.

Try some deodorant/antiperspirant on your feet. They may be sweating and then getting cold.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by hanco
A buddy heater sure helps!

On those cold 50* texas mornings? grin

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by DougD
Having hunted MN for the last 50 plus years. Keeping your feet warm can be an issue, Pac Boots work at the price of extra weight and bulk, if you are putting any miles on it matters. Pac boots are the best ice fishing boots on the planet.
Get the coldest rated sleeping bag you can find Mummy style best. Sit down and pull it up over your knees cut there. Sew in a seem and draw string get to your stand step in pull the draw string works perfect. Weighs nothing.

With a few years behind me in deer stands in northern MN and northern WI, I think most people with cold feet are wearing too much boot and sock. Dump the cotton for sure, if you wear 2 layers of socks, wear light ones. Pack boots suck for walking at all and will get my feet sweated up in a hurry. Once that happens, there is no keeping them warm! I have also brought a change of socks with me. A change of socks at noon makes you feel like a new man!!

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by CRS
I have always suffered with cold feet. Here is what I have found works for me.

1. Keep the rest of your body warm. Especially lower body. Keeping the major muscle groups in your lower body helps tremendously.
I do this by making sure I have ample insulation with warm baselayer, midlayer and carry in heavy outer layer.

2. Mickey mouse boots are not for moving and too big/heavy to carry.
3. 1000gm boots are too warm for walking then sitting, feet sweat too much.
4. I bought a new pair of 400gm boots for hunting this year. Spent 8 days hiking in a ways and sitting. Liner socks with varying weights of wools socks worked very well. Temps ranged from ten to fifty degrees. After this I gave my 1000gm boots away to my son who can really use them.

5. I like handwarmers, depending on conditions chest pocket helps keep core warm, kangaroo pocket for hand/core warming. What I discovered this year is a handwarmer in each cargo pocket really helps keep lower body warm when sitting. So much so, that a few times I did not have to pull on my heavier outer layer.

6. When in a blind I have found something as simple as a small blanket over the lower body/feet really helps. I have used cheap fleece all the way to heavier wool blankets.

7. Another good thing to have is hot drinks, warms one up from the inside.

Ponderings for next year would be overboots, or something as simple as carrying a sleeping bag in to the blinds. I have used catalytic heaters in my pop blinds all the way done to -10, but am not completely sold on them. I think they would work better in a box type blind, which I will have in one spot next year.

I have spent lots of time in pop up blinds bowhunting the last 15 years or so and have tried everything, above is what has worked for me.

Y'all read this twice.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The best advice I can give is don't wear your heavy socks and boots in the vehicle on the drive to the hunting area. Your feet will sweat and be cold all day. I wear a smart wool sock they are a light sock and 400 gram boots. My hunting is mostly walking and some sitting. When I played hockey in unheated rinks my feet stayed warmer in my skates with no socks on.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by saskfox
The best advice I can give is don't wear your heavy socks and boots in the vehicle on the drive to the hunting area. Your feet will sweat and be cold all day. I wear a smart wool sock they are a light sock and 400 gram boots. My hunting is mostly walking and some sitting. When I played hockey in unheated rinks my feet stayed warmer in my skates with no socks on.

HA!! I also played with no socks.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (21, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 1234, 17CalFan, 51 invisible), 3,350 guests, and 1,138 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,294
Posts18,467,986
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.