Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Benbo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I’ve been looking through local pawn shops for an old Marlin in .35 but they’re not common at all in my parts. Have thought about buying a new one but had heard their quality fell off dramatically a few years back. How are the new ones? Should I just buy an older one with the cross bolt and put the screw kit in it? Thanks all.

Benbo

BP-B2

jar Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There have been a few good ones at reasonable prices lately on G.B.

teach your children well , ride hard, shoot straight, be involved!
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Buy an older one & own a piece of Marlin history.....

Plenty to choose from on GB......usually $400-500......

My '71 came from there...all original...clean & real nice condition

Click link....this one ...1990 mfg..X/bolt.....easily deleted

Swivel on mag tube is a common mistake.....

2nd one...swivel stud in Bullseye is most common mistake

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/843185069

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/843655050

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Used gun market, especially non military, steel and walnut older guns, is soft, a buyers market.

So, shop and don't pay too much. You don't have to.

DF

B
Benbo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thx for the info.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think marlin has greatly improved quality. Look one over first. Then buy it if it looks good.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
From what I can tell, the quality seems to have improved in general, but you still hear the occasional horror story. If you buy Remington Marlin (remlin), I would try to stick to one made in the last two or 3 years, and still inspect it carefully before taking it home. Otherwise, as other's have pointed out, the market is pretty soft at the moment and it's a good time to snatch up a nice JM Marlin at bargain prices. I'm in Texas and we have a website called Texas Gun Trader (like auto trader, lol) and I've picked up 3 killer deals on JM marlins in the past couple of months

Jerry
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
My son just bought a 1895 yesterday. It is a very fine rifle, every bit the equal of my 1981 vintage .444s and his 1973 vintage 336. Wood to metal fit is very good, even outstanding. The metal finish is excellent. The wood in the stock is good, about the best I've seen on todays rifles (not that many have wood stocks). Its going to be a good rifle for many years to come. Can't wait to shoot it. He shot it yesterday, but not off a bench. It goes bang and functions flawlessly.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is much the same thing as pre and post 64 winchesters.

The new Marlins just aren't the same as the old ones, but they function just fine. It is true there was an adjustment period where quality was highly questionable. They have pretty much settled in to what we are going to get. It's a functional lever gun at a competitive price, but just not the same as it used to be.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think the BACO winchesters are better than any pre 64 model 70. you are right they are different. I think marlin is getting itself back together again. Remington vampired all the blood they could from marlin to pay themselves back, Now they actually need to do a good job or there will not be a company left. I would check to make sure the gun is made in the last couple years. I would also look over it very carefully. if you are buying a 336, I pesonally would still get a 70's are early 80's JM 336. They made so many you can get a good one for a great price. the JM 1894's are crazy prices, in which case I would get a new one like I did instead and save the money.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have new and old Marlins. The new ones are 44 and 45-70. The old ones are 30-30 and 35 Rem (plus a 39 22rf). The old ones are JM. The only issue I have with any of these is the 45-70 is light and heavy loads make it buck.

As far as quality, I like the new ones (and the old). I'm pleased with the accuracy with the new ones too. I have Lyman aperture sights on all my Marlins, except the 39.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I have all old ones now but am going to check out a new 1894 colt 45 soon.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Remington did have their issues when they started up. But ask old time Marlin users that bought back before they closed up The last few years Marlin wasn't putting out the best rifles. Their equipment was old, the guys that had to hand fit were old, and when I was on the Marlin Rifle forum years ago there were plenty of complaints back then too. Don't let anyone fool you Marlin wasn't producing 100% rifles for a lot of years. People knew about it and when to other Marlin people to get ideas on how to fix things. Remington put a deal together and didn't understand how bad the equipment was. They bought it cheap, but not cheap enough. They had to start from scratch. But at least you have a gun company building guns. It took them a while to catch up, but they are producing good guns. Are they perfect? Probably not, but they are as better than the guns Marlin was producing at the end. No one is producing perfect guns now. People need to get over themselves. I understand people that want older guns, and some that want newer guns, they are both out there. Pick your poison and pay the price. Remington's prices are pretty good right now. Too many internet geniuses telling people they are junk, is still driving the price down.

In case you are wondering most of my are older, but I've had a couple of the new ones and they worked just fine. They are like any other gun on the market. Look them over before you buy if possible.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I might buy a brand new one in 35.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Are you a gambling man? That's what you are doing putting money down on a new Remington made "Marlin" Some are OK and some are junk.....The problem is that most don't know their new rifle is junk until they get it home and shoot it. Then it's like pulling teeth to get "Remlin" to make it right. I would rather pay more for a used , older Marlin. At least if it needs fixed it will be worn parts that you can replace and not a barrel that is crooked, off centered sights, screwed up metal parts , or bad rifling.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by reivertom
Are you a gambling man? That's what you are doing putting money down on a new Remington made "Marlin" Some are OK and some are junk.....The problem is that most don't know their new rifle is junk until they get it home and shoot it. Then it's like pulling teeth to get "Remlin" to make it right. I would rather pay more for a used , older Marlin. At least if it needs fixed it will be worn parts that you can replace and not a barrel that is crooked, off centered sights, screwed up metal parts , or bad rifling.

I AGREE X2,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I bought a REM Marlin in 2012 I believe, but I checked it out thoroughly before I paid for it. It's been a good rifle (1895 45/70) and I have no complaints.

I'll have to agree that I like JM models better, but I'd advise anyone to check them out as well. I bought a JM .444 with horrible barrel indexing. It's so bad that the front sight has to be drifted out of the dovetail to be sighted in. Previous owners solution was to bend the front sight over to get it sighted in. My solution was to scope it, but I'd rather have a peep on it.

This rifle was built in 1973, which should have been during some good years for Marlin.

I'm not slamming older Marlins, but even the experienced workers made mistakes from time to time. This was a horrid one.

Check them ALL out. I bought this one sight unseen during the Remlin bashing phase, simply because of the JM stamp. Lesson learned.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bitching about the Remlin's, either you don't have one or you bought one that was when Remington first took it over.
The problem with Marlin's rifles were: The drawings didn't match what the machinery was producing. The old timers that made the Marlins work were old and they were retiring, leaving a mess behind. Remington had to make everything new again, drawings and machinery.

My new Marlins are good rifles and I suspect that if you buy one that is newly manufactured you'll find the same thing.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I’ve got a new 1894CBSL in 357 and it is a great rifle. The loading port had a few sharp edges that I smoothed out but the action is smooth and the trigger pull is good. It’s been very accurate too.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

These guys in TX mfg aftermarket Marlin parts........just an FYI

https://www.rangerpointstore.com/categories/marlin-firearms-parts.html

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
198 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 2UP, 16 invisible), 1,556 guests, and 867 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,911
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.