-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Is that an aluminum handguard on the AA or is it carbon or fiberglass?

Politics is War by Other Means
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by plainsman456
My brother in law tried the Frontier brand 70 or 75 grain i forget.

The bullets are to hard it seems they just pass thru.

He uses a thermal and went back to the 6.5 Grendel and 100 grain controlled chaos bullets.

Those Frontier bullets would not plant a coyote at a 100 yards.

It gets costly when you have to shoot 3 or more times.

But as for the caliber/brand rifle i am glad we have the choices we do.

Interesting, I have some of the 556 75 gr bthp Frontiers. Think they'd open up on antelope and deer?

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I think they should work but have not tried them myself.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I think they should work but have not tried them myself.

I'd think so too. Thanks

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tyrone

According to this review it's a "synthetic handguard."

https://gunblast.com/Alexander-65Hunter.htm

Originally Posted by Jeff Quinn
Here, we are looking at one of Alexander Arms' latest versions of their 6.5 Grendel rifle; the eighteen inch Hunter. The Hunter model is, in my opinion, the perfect configuration for an all-around 6.5 Grendel rifle. The barrel is a fluted matte-black stainless steel with a medium profile, .700 inch at the muzzle, offering plenty of stiffness for fine accuracy, without being excessively heavy. The bore is button-rifled one turn in 7.5 inches. The muzzle is threaded 9/16x24 TPI for the attachment of a suppressor or brake, if desired. The barrel is free-floated inside a smooth two-inch diameter synthetic handguard which measures approximately twelve inches in length. There is one three-inch section of accessory rail at the forward end of the handguard, which may be removed or relocated every ninety degrees around the tubular circumference.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by skeen
For 6.5Grendel fans, you can get one on sale right now from the original designer of the cartridge - an Alexander Arms 6.5 Grendel 18" Hunter Rifle for only a $1,000 bucks - https://www.shopalexanderarms.com/Gun_Vault_Sale_-6_5_Grendel_18_Hunter_Rifle.html

Thinkin' about grabbing me another.

YMMV, but if I were spending $1,000 on a modern AR, it sure wouldn't be in that configuration. That would have been a nice setup in ~2005 but seems a bit dated now, with better options available elsewhere for the external bits like handguard, stock, etc. IMO, the Grendel has been around long enough now that AA doesn't really have any exclusive corner on the market any more.

Huh, well, yeah, then my mileage does vary.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

He uses a thermal and went back to the 6.5 Grendel and 100 grain controlled chaos bullets.

Interesting, I have some of the 556 75 gr bthp Frontiers. Think they'd open up on antelope and deer?
That should be a Hornady 75 bthp. I have not bought new in years since I had 10K on hand when I quit shooting competition. Lets just say we keep mags full of a load with the 75bthp for general all around use and I've never had a problem with it from coyotes and coons to deer and pigs. Can't think I've used it much past 300 or so yards though, longer 223 shots on deer I single load the old 75 amax.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Haven't read the whole thread but I see no reason a 95 grain V-Max wouldn't work at Grendel velocities on deer or similar sized animals.

Maybe even a 100 grain Ballistic Tip or 120 Sierra.

You are correct -

There is also no reason for Grendel guys to say it’s better than the 6.8 SPC or the 300 Hamr... but then again they weren’t being honest with themselves to begin with smile

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Haven't read the whole thread but I see no reason a 95 grain V-Max wouldn't work at Grendel velocities on deer or similar sized animals.

Maybe even a 100 grain Ballistic Tip or 120 Sierra.

You are correct -

There is also no reason for Grendel guys to say it’s better than the 6.8 SPC or the 300 Hamr... but then again they weren’t being honest with themselves to begin with smile

Get over your bad self. Do you really want to put yourself in the same group with dla?

It's hard to respect the opinion of someone who has to piss on a particular cartridge because they prefer something else. These "Chevy vs Ford" / "my cartridge is better than your cartridge" arguments are pretty juvenile, and demonstrate a general ignorance about the topic.
Any of those cartridges, and a bunch of others, work fine on deer sized animals with the right bullets, and I don't think I've seen anyone here worth listening to that's saying the Grendel is the only right choice. On the other hand, there seem to be several fanboys like yourself of other cartridges, specifically the 6.8, who think they have to talk crap about the Grendel or 300 Blk or whatever else doesn't fit their preferences.

Last edited by Yondering; 12/09/19.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by skeen
Originally Posted by Tyrone

According to this review it's a "synthetic handguard."
The nice thing about the synthetic handguards is they are much warmer in the Winter. AL is such a good conductor, it sucks heat right out of your hand. I have one AR with a fiberglass HG and I like it, but it is slippery compared to a cheese grater or an A2 HG.

Politics is War by Other Means
IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

That should be a Hornady 75 bthp. I have not bought new in years since I had 10K on hand when I quit shooting competition. Lets just say we keep mags full of a load with the 75bthp for general all around use and I've never had a problem with it from coyotes and coons to deer and pigs. Can't think I've used it much past 300 or so yards though, longer 223 shots on deer I single load the old 75 amax.

Appreciate the feedback. If I am remembering correctly it's a slightly different 75 made a bit shorter but generally the same thing. But I may be thinking of something else. The same btsp used in the TAP line. I will try to follow-up...

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dla
The Hornady 123 GR SST take 2200fps

Not so much. The 123gr SST is a relatively lightly constructed bullet that has a good sectional density and will open up and perform well down past 2200fps. That's what makes it effective against medium-sized big game: opens up pretty easily and has enough SD/mass behind to keep on driving. Not as deeply as, say, a Nos partition, but good on thin skinned / medium game.. It doesn't require high velocity to do its work. Lots of cartridges like that in past times.

Originally Posted by dla
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Good morning BSA. The images above came out of the 6.5 Grendel Reloading book, vol. 2 which is focused on hunting loads.

Any idea how long each animal took to expire? Range? Animals shot to tagged ratio?

No?

Then you don't know shlt about how the cartridge performs.

When the bullet drops below 2000-2200fps, it is going to pencil through like a target arrow. It might expand, but it isnt a huge bullet to start with. Kills slowly unless shot placement is perfect.

The 6.5 Grendel is a shlt hunting cartridge much past 200 yards.

Sure, which is why the 170gr RNSP out of the .30-30 (MV~2200fps, 100ydvel~1900fps) is such a pathetic deer killer...in your mind. Outside your mind, in reality, the .30-30 170gr RNSP is fine deer medicine. It just happens to use a bulet designed to suit the cartridge and gun parameters.

Oh, why bother? My 13YO daughter has more time behind a AR15 in 6.5Grendel and has killed more game with it than has dla.

Regards,

deadlift_dude
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
----Fred Rogers
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

167 members (35, 257 mag, 338Rules, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 17 invisible), 1,340 guests, and 857 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,176
Posts18,465,466
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.