Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by dla
Bullets just aren't moving fast enough to reliably expand. They drill small holes in and out. Too much game wounded and lost when the shots get much past 200.

as long as the vitals are damaged the size of entry and exit have almost nothing to do with death. Maybe how long, like it adds a few minutes or seconds but thats it.

I STRIVE that all our deer are caliber entry and small fingernail exit and they go down just fine to astonishing ranges.

If you are of the I have to shoulder shoot and demand a bang flop for whatever reason then picking a Grendel knowing its a slower round was stupid.

All that said the 6x6.8 isn't fast with an 85 grain and its results have been the same also. And results same from nephews 6.8 and X39. They just don't kill like 257 wtby speed but I've killed past 500 with most of the above without issue.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
ARIC

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
DLA is the same clown who says Glocks are garbage and Keltecs are the only way to roll, along with classics like if you are not shooting full power loads in your .44 magnum all the time, you are not a real man and should buy a smaller gun. Mid range loads are for women. All true gems. crazy

Some people open their mouths and remove all doubt.

Bill Alexander brought 6.5 G rifles out to a group of us in the 2000s, in hopes of securing a potential contract from our organization. They were pretty easy to make hits at rather extended distances with. Ballistics wise it is a pretty impressive cartridge from a standard AR platform. I would not want to be anywhere within 750 yards or so of a properly trained individual who had a 6.5 G, knew his dope, and I was an adversary.

It probably is a crap cartridge in the hands of DLA though.

In the hands of a capable shooter, I would have no issue taking shots on average deer out to 350-375 provided the environmental factors were favorable.

Dang wish I'd read this before I typed a reply... I'd have saved my time knowing DLA is an idiot then.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by rost495
DLA is the same clown who says Glocks are garbage and Keltecs are the only way to roll, along with classics like if you are not shooting full power loads in your .44 magnum all the time, you are not a real man and should buy a smaller gun. Mid range loads are for women. All true gems. crazy

Bill Alexander brought 6.5 G rifles out to a group of us in the 2000s, in hopes of securing a potential contract from our organization. They were pretty easy to make hits at rather extended distances with. Ballistics wise it is a pretty impressive cartridge from a standard AR platform. I would not want to be anywhere within 750 yards or so of a properly trained individual who had a 6.5 G, knew his dope, and I was an adversary.

In the hands of a capable shooter, I would have no issue taking shots on average deer out to 350-375 provided the environmental factors were favorable.

Dang wish I'd read this before I typed a reply... I'd have saved my time knowing DLA is an idiot then.

Jeff,

He's not just an idiot, he's and idiot troll.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
D
dla Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Jeff,

Can't argue the facts so you and the tiny dick crowd throw stones.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by dla
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Jeff,

Can't argue the facts so you and the tiny dick crowd throw stones.

Says the troll who's never shot a 6.5 Gren.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B2

D
dla Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D

as long as the vitals are damaged the size of entry and exit have almost nothing to do with death. Maybe how long, like it adds a few minutes or seconds but thats it.

And that is the difference between tagging and losing an animal.

When the bullet is moving too slow for the stretch cavity to tear up tissue, the only killing mechanism is the bullet crushing tissue. A tiny bullet makes a tiny wound track, and animals can run a long, long ways.

The 6.5 Grendel is a shlt hunting cartride much past 200 yds.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
You are truly a dumb pluck if you believe that.

Kill deer pigs and javelina every year with well under 1200 fps rounds. Some as slow as 750 fps.

Even a 380 acp pistol.

Like anything else if the round is placed correctly, it does its job in a short distance. Typically 30-50 steps most deer we've taken.

I know a hard lead bullet isn't expanding much. And I know my 900 FPS whisper rounds always enter caliber size and exit about double that.

And this years foray into 6.5 Creedmoor its HARD to find entry holes. Exits our pinky finger nail size and thats MORE than enough to kill em, quickly enough and shortly enough and easy enough to find.

I'm sorry you don't understand how to find deer that have been shot.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dla

When the bullet drops below 2000-2200fps, it is going to pencil through like a target arrow. It might expand, but it isnt a huge bullet to start with. Kills slowly unless shot placement is perfect.
I get pink mist and lung chunks out the off side of a deer's chest at that velocity.

Politics is War by Other Means
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Not agreeing with dla but so far my Grendel has not killed anything farther away than 200 yards mostly because I don't get shots even that far most of the time. At that it is a far better round for deer and pigs than the 223 though that round works pretty good with the right hits. My favorite load uses the 129 grain Hornady spire point going 2250 fps, this bullet being originally designed for the smaller WWII and WWI 6.5's opens pretty easily. I see no reason why it wouldn't work another 100 yards out if the right bullets are used. I believe the 6.5 G and the 6.8 SPC were designed as an improvement over the 5.56 for hunting the smaller big game species and they do this well.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Finn Aagaard said something to the effect that "shot placement was 90% of killing power"

When you have a guy complaining that a cartridge is a POS past 200 yards, it is pretty indicative of his skills as a shooter and a hunter, rather than the cartridge.

Much like the old "The .308/30-06 is worthless for elk/big mule deer, I shot an elk right through the heart and it ran off and I never recovered it" stories.

Followed by "You need a such and such Magnum to kill big animals".

crazy

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
He keeps mentioning 200 yards and 2000 fps, while much earlier in the thread I noted it'll keep a 100 grain Ballistic Tip at 2000 fps at 300 yards. What gives?

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y

When you have a guy complaining that a cartridge is a POS past 200 yards, it is pretty indicative of his skills as a shooter and a hunter, rather than the cartridge.

Agreed 100%, but - I seriously doubt dla has ever hunted with a Grendel, or anything else for that matter. Nothing he says about this or any other gun topic seems to indicate any actual experience; he's just going by stuff he's read and his own imagination.

D
dla Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Yondering

Agreed 100%, but - I seriously doubt dla has ever hunted with a Grendel, or anything else for that matter. Nothing he says about this or any other gun topic seems to indicate any actual experience; he's just going by stuff he's read and his own imagination.

Did you orgasm while typing that?

Last edited by dla; 11/25/19.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I think you have mental issues.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dla
You guys nailed it; I'm a clueless troll. Kel-Tec makes the best guns in the world and I voted for Hillary.
Gotta go now, Mom just called me up from the basement for dinner.

You go girl!

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mathman
He keeps mentioning 200 yards and 2000 fps, while much earlier in the thread I noted it'll keep a 100 grain Ballistic Tip at 2000 fps at 300 yards. What gives?

Not to mention the figures I posted on the 129gr LRAB.

Never let facts get in the way of a good story.

He should run for Congress; he's a Natural.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
dla Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Pretty obvious that some of you are far too stupid to question the fanboys stoking your egos.

The Grendel is an OK hunting cartridge for 200 yds. But it is not a good 300 yd hunting cartridge.

Too many people read ballistic tables and energy figures but don't understand killing mechanisms. You pick long skinny bullets to get the high BC, but you give up too much velocity.

The 6.5 Grendel is a shlt hunting cartridge past 200 yds.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Damn,

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Damn,

Yup. Troll. Rude, insulting troll to boot.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dla
Pretty obvious that some of you are far too stupid to question the fanboys stoking your egos.The Grendel is an OK hunting cartridge for 200 yds. But it is not a good 300 yd hunting cartridge.Too many people read ballistic tables and energy figures but don't understand killing mechanisms. You pick long skinny bullets to get the high BC, but you give up too much velocity.The 6.5 Grendel is a shlt hunting cartridge past 200 yds.
I have limited experience with the Grendel but so far it seems to kill far better than you think it does based on math. I know arithmetic doesn't lie but some combinations of bullet, case, and powder seem to work better than the math says they will. I have a combination of .277 Win. power point loaded in a .270W at 2750 fps that works on game way better than a 7mm RM I used to use.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
696 members (160user, 12344mag, 12308300, 17CalFan, 16Racing, 1234, 67 invisible), 2,729 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,621
Posts18,398,558
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.