Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

What Djones is showing vs. saying is the 300 Hamm’r is pretty much out performing many of the AR chamberings - maybe even the 6.8 SPC... not to mention the Grendel.

I'm not sure where you're seeing the evidence for that.

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Go do some google searches - Then ask Djones why he picked the 300 Hamm’r

D
dla Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Yondering, lonely and feeling insecure

That's a great lecture on hunting ... from a guy with no apparent hunting experience. I'm doubting he even has much shooting experience at this point. My guess is he's one those basement dwellers that's too fat to get off the couch, and everything he "knows" is just what he's read online.

If you want a date just say so and I'll forward this to Antelope Sniper.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by dla
Originally Posted by Yondering, lonely and feeling insecure

That's a great lecture on hunting ... from a guy with no apparent hunting experience. I'm doubting he even has much shooting experience at this point. My guess is he's one those basement dwellers that's too fat to get off the couch, and everything he "knows" is just what he's read online.

If you want a date just say so and I'll forward this to Antelope Sniper.

You keep saying homo stuff like that. This is the wrong forum for those kind of fantasies, take it somewhere else please.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
well yonder, i know what you mean. i've been eating baloney sammiches for a cpl years now and prolly will be for the rest of my life.

something i've noticed reading forums. lots of feelings wrapped up in a gun, caliber, bullet etc. causing illogical comments. i shot an animal and he was drt so my gun is the best. oh yea, well i shot one and he ran off with my bullet in his brain so that gun sux. how many shots would actually be required to produce any statistical confidence in a particular test? one of my favorite 'facts' is... hogs never charge. you were just standing in their path they were trying to get away. well you may have shot 10,000 hogs and never been charged once. but that doesn't mean they never charge. another may have hunted once and got charged. hmmm.

something i've noticed shooting hogs of all sizes with many calibers, and bullets is hogs have a funny way of deciding for themselves when they want to die. some don't go down when they should and vice versa.

i'm shooting a ham'r because a buddy is a prostaffer for wilson combat, he asked me to test it and i ended up keeping it. before that i shot a 6.8 and settled on 120gr sst bullets. i know killers who shoot the grendel with great success. same for 7.62x39, 308, wildcats etc ad nauseam. they all kill and they all have escapees. what i don't get is why people give a crap who shoots what and why. if it's to learn something, great. if it's to bitch, geez... how pathetic.

the advantage i see to the ham'r is it certainly is (in my opinion) a more effective killer on hog sized game at night time distances than a 223 or the blackout. the advantage over the grendel and 6.8 is it truly is a barrel change (and gas tube) from a 223. and if you just happen to prefer 30 cal holes in your quarry, well there you go.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
fyi... i won a vid contest H, from ar performance, put on for 6.8 hunt footage. i'm sure i posted it somewhere here before, but i'll repeat it again. wonder if all those hogs would have gone down with a different caliber/bullet? who knows but certainly weapons in the same general class as the 6.8 seem to do well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good post there, djones.

I've always wondered about the way you see running hogs go ass over teakettle in NV and thermal videos, and my real life experiences where powerful centerfires that *you'd think* would put em down hard but they don't because you didn't hit em in just the right spot. I've had that happen twice, and I know it was my fault...maybe there's just something about the way a running hog reacts when hit somewhere in the body. I dunno...but I aim to learn. I would dearly love to do some night time hog slaughtering myself...finally got all set up for it, then lost the damned lease due to a land sale. Oh well.

Have you ever tried .223 with a 70-grain Accubond?

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Good comments djones. I always appreciate the insight of guys with real experience, and you're spot on with the stuff about favorite calibers and whatnot.

That 300 HAMR sounds like a good tool within it's intended use (closer range pigs as you said). Reading about it online, sounds like it was designed specifically for the 130gr Speer Hot Cor, is that what you used?

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Jones,

What .224 bullets have you seen used for large volume pig killing?

Any experience with the 60gr NPT, 64gr Bonded Solid base (BSB), or the new 70gr Accoubond?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My brother in law tried the Frontier brand 70 or 75 grain i forget.

The bullets are to hard it seems they just pass thru.

He uses a thermal and went back to the 6.5 Grendel and 100 grain controlled chaos bullets.

Those Frontier bullets would not plant a coyote at a 100 yards.

It gets costly when you have to shoot 3 or more times.

But as for the caliber/brand rifle i am glad we have the choices we do.

IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Last video was entertaining, for sure. That kind of night shooting is a hoot. Wish I got to do it more than once a blue moon. Unless you're gonna use monos, I don’t see the 223 being as good for the steep angles and anchoring runners, as the 6.5/6.8/30s.....then again, it might be splitting hairs and easier/faster on splits for multiples, too. I don’t get to hammer in to hogs in those kinda numbers more than maybe once a year, though I spend a lot of time behind some thermals.... that unfortunately don’t video.....or I’d have some cool coyote footage, with an occasional hog probably thrown in. All I mainly get to do is varmint defense, and my shots need to be inside of 150, due to the nature of clipons and parallax error sometimes. The Ham’r intrigues me, and I’ll probably build another Grendel, but it’s as much the build as the caliber, and I have a particular 6.8 that’s my magic wand for a hunting AR.....90gr gold dots at 3k or 110 NABs past 2600 seem to do just fine for what I need. I don’t know why anyone competent would take issue with a good Grendel bullet being able to kill well at 3-400. I don’t know why anyone competent would take issue with thinking some things might be better suited for hunting past 300.

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 12/06/19.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Some things might indeed be "better" at 300 and beyond. I think we all see marginal differences differently, though.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
i have a few ar15s in 556 but mostly used them for plinking, varmints and predators. been shooting them way before all the cool bullets came out. i mostly buy average grade 52 to 68 grain stuff and see what's most accurate. don't really use them that much for hogs and don't have any experience testing lethality of the current premium bullets.

i used to kid a lot about the 223 not being able to kill a hog. it was always in fun but i learned emotion doesn't translate well in posts until feelings get hurt. still, i can't help but joke as i see it as all too funny. here's a case in point where i got called out, some of you were in this thread, best part is the last page, lol.

223 thread

one thing i like about the hamr is it's the most accurate ar i've ever had. of course wilson is all about accuracy, so it's no surprise his guns use match grade barrels.

as far as the 130 grain hot core... bill wilson recommends them and uses them almost exclusively for hog hunting. he also took quite a bit of african game with them and some 150gr varieties. some of my best multiple kills were with the 130s. they're good killers but i just like trying different stuff and seeing for myself. i'm shooting the 125gr tnt because i like the destructiveness of a 30cal varmint bullet at hamr speeds. i'm running them at over 2600 fps. i think his factory loads are around 2550?? anyway... here are some 130s at work.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by djones

.300 HAMR.......of Thor.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by djones

as far as the 130 grain hot core... bill wilson recommends them and uses them almost exclusively for hog hunting. he also took quite a bit of african game with them and some 150gr varieties. some of my best multiple kills were with the 130s. they're good killers but i just like trying different stuff and seeing for myself. i'm shooting the 125gr tnt because i like the destructiveness of a 30cal varmint bullet at hamr speeds. i'm running them at over 2600 fps. i think his factory loads are around 2550?? anyway... here are some 130s at work.

Thanks for the reply.

I've used a bunch of those 125gr TNT in 300 Blk and bigger stuff. They are a good bullet, especially for as cheap as they are. They're pretty explosive out of a 308 or bigger, but at 300 Blk speeds act more like a hunting bullet and I wouldn't hesitate to use one on deer. I imagine out of that Hamr you're probably getting some fragmentation but still decent penetration, and that's a great combo.

I like the TNT bullet line. They aren't a high b.c. bullet but they're cheap and accurate for plinking and vermin (also have used lots of the 6mm 70gr on sage rats at 3750-3900 fps, talk about pink mist...) and have always been good killers for me when used appropriately. I recently bought some in 20 cal, only 10 cents per bullet!

Last edited by Yondering; 12/06/19.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Thanks for your knowledge DJones, I have killed two deer with my 6.8 SPC/95 grain TTSX, it has a 2-3 moa Wilson barrel on it which I have not been 100% happy with, but to disassemble it and return it...meah, it kills deer..... I am going to have to try to work up a load with the 120 grain SST bullets. I gave up barnes bullets in the 257 roberts after 117 grain interlocs over 45 or so grains of H4350 does fine, maybe the SST is the ticket in the spc, not sure the 110Vmax would be any better or worse at the spc speeds?. There are two or so people that post drivel on the forums just to stir up crap, but neither of them seems to have actually tested even once the information they post about.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Haven't read the whole thread but I see no reason a 95 grain V-Max wouldn't work at Grendel velocities on deer or similar sized animals.

Maybe even a 100 grain Ballistic Tip or 120 Sierra.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
You’re still talking 2800-3k.l for 90-100s....they might be pretty explosive, still

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For 6.5Grendel fans, you can get one on sale right now from the original designer of the cartridge - an Alexander Arms 6.5 Grendel 18" Hunter Rifle for only a $1,000 bucks - https://www.shopalexanderarms.com/Gun_Vault_Sale_-6_5_Grendel_18_Hunter_Rifle.html

Thinkin' about grabbing me another.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by skeen
For 6.5Grendel fans, you can get one on sale right now from the original designer of the cartridge - an Alexander Arms 6.5 Grendel 18" Hunter Rifle for only a $1,000 bucks - https://www.shopalexanderarms.com/Gun_Vault_Sale_-6_5_Grendel_18_Hunter_Rifle.html

Thinkin' about grabbing me another.

YMMV, but if I were spending $1,000 on a modern AR, it sure wouldn't be in that configuration. That would have been a nice setup in ~2005 but seems a bit dated now, with better options available elsewhere for the external bits like handguard, stock, etc. IMO, the Grendel has been around long enough now that AA doesn't really have any exclusive corner on the market any more.

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

628 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 58 invisible), 2,795 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,574
Posts18,453,925
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.