Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Maxxis Bighorn work well...

Just remember you can go as fast as you want in snow and ice....just don't expect to turn or stop.

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I like the Cooper Discoverer M&S that I put on my 2005 GMC Canyon, but I don't tow anything with it, so I can't comment on that aspect of your question.

Better than an all season or mud tire, but really it’s a POS tire compared to a nokian Hakka or a hankook Ipike in snow and ice.

Reading this thread it’s pretty obvious that lots of folks are happy with the tires they tried. But really it’s only because they haven’t run a good tire.

Sean
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by SeanD
I like the Cooper Discoverer M&S that I put on my 2005 GMC Canyon, but I don't tow anything with it, so I can't comment on that aspect of your question.

Better than an all season or mud tire, but really it’s a POS tire compared to a nokian Hakka or a hankook Ipike in snow and ice.

Reading this thread it’s pretty obvious that lots of folks are happy with the tires they tried. But really it’s only because they haven’t run a good tire.

Agreed.

As an example, you constantly hear how great blizzaks are. I put them on a couple vehicles this last winter and had I not run the nokians for years, I probably would've been pleased. But having the nokians as a gauge, I am not a huge fan.

Montana MOFO
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I agree with the Firestone Winterforce snow tires, if you are talking dedicated snow tire for a truck. Good price and performance.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

When I lived in NH all of the LEOs ran Goodyear F-32 All-Winter Radials.

I run a set of Blizzaks on the Lincoln Aviator that we keep in Breckenridge, CO, from October thru April and a set of Michelin LTX for the other five months. I've owned a few sets of Blizzaks and like them fine, but I've never owned a set of either of the tires that you like so well,.

There isn't enough snow/ice in Nebraska to justify the cost of running a set of soft rubber compound snow tires, as the concrete roads are so abrasive that they wear out in just a couple of seasons.

The inexpensive Coopers have worked fine on the Canyon, even for busting through the occasional 3' drift, but as noted previously, it doesn't usually snow that much here.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I put a 60,000 mile rated set on my F150. They have the winter snow flake and good deep tread. These >-------> Hankook Dynapro AT2 RF11 all_ Terrain Radial Tire

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by baltz526
I put a 60,000 mile rated set on my F150. They have the winter snow flake and good deep tread. These >-------> Hankook Dynapro AT2 RF11 all_ Terrain Radial Tire

The OP is asking about the best winter tires a guy can get.

Winter snowflake AT’s?

Wow.

Sean
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
There are a lot of snow tires that work well on a 4wd truck. If I am going to pull a 26' trailer in snow or ice I want a set of chains on them when going over the pass. Studs if allowed everywhere during the time you will be there would be my second choice.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

We have a Winner! Most folks don't put on enough miles on crappy roads to have even a clue what works and what doesn't. As a result, they don't get to try enough different tires to give an educated opinion or offer any value to the discussion. Even fewer will spend the $$ to have dedicated seasonal tires if they're on their own dime.

Honestly if you really want to know what's "best" a good idea would be to solicit information from folks who manage a fleet or drive fleet vehicles for a good fleet owner/provider/manager. People with a sales or service route through country that gets lots of crappy weather. Because they're not on their own dime, for the most part their only concern is getting the best tires for the job with pretty much 0% concern for what brand the tires are, only that they work well.

Last edited by horse1; 11/11/19.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The Hankook Ipike work well. I've had trouble getting my dealer to find them in stock when I wanted them though.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Problem with the hankook ipike is they can’t get them factory studded (at least that’s what the dealers tell me). The first set I had were really good, snow traction was amazing and the studs worked well for a while but I started losing studs because the shop installed them too long.

I went in to get a set of Nokian hakka’s and the tire shop talked me into cooper MS. They had perfectly installed studs, and the shop told me they were comparible with Nokian with similar soft rubber compound. the tires were meh on snow but the studs worked well for ice and studs still looked great after four seasons. Tires had a lot of tread left which makes sense because they are not a soft rubber after all. These are really an all terrain year round tire that is pinned for studs, nothing special at all.

next I tried hankook ipike again and they installed studs way too short, with zero protrusion above the tread. Turns out there are lots of different stud suppliers and the lengths are pretty variable for the same listed length. I made them take them back and swapped with factory studded Nokian hakkapelitta 9’s which have been exceptional in every way, except price.

I prefer studded winter tires due to the advantage they offer at/around 32 degrees which is what I see often, black ice when you aren’t aware the road is slippery. For colder climates or if the communists ban studded tires I would run studless winter tires like Blizzaks. I would avoid the common studded traction tires like the cooper that use a regular all season rubber compound.

Sean
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Well SeanD,
Your opinion is interesting. Can you tell us all, how many months a year does snow land and stay in wonderful, beautiful Tigard Or. (I used to live in Tigard. A few blocks from Tigard High School. So I'm very aware of the 1-2 inches a year that your community gets. For you to give qualified advice on snow tires is a real belly jiggle.
For those that actually spend 6 months a year in real winter. Snow sticks here around the end of September and stays on the ground until April.
Hankooks i-pikes are ok at best, blizzaks are fine but not the best.
Cooper discovery M&S tires are the best money can buy.
By the way Alaska State Troopers use Cooper's M&S tires. And I live in Tok Alaska (Google the weather for Tok). Might reach -20 degrees Fahrenheit tonight. That's below zero.
Get Cooper's if you want the best winter snow tires.

At some point my hobbies became my life.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well I certainly don’t run winter tires for driving around town.

You are funny though. coopers are better than nokians, you are obviously FOS

Sean
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Nice,
You kiss your mother with that mouth. You have a good day.

At some point my hobbies became my life.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by JGray
Originally Posted by horse1
considering the Hankook as well as the Nitto Terra Exo Grappler that I've heard good things about.

Nitto Exo Grappler is more stable (1 more sidewall belt) and has better traction than the Terra, especially on an HD pickup. I currently have a set of Terras I run in the summer and Exo's I run in the winter on my '11 F250 6.7L. Just swapped the Exo's on this week. 0 difference in fuel mileage between the 2, similar road noise, Exo is exponentially more predictable cornering @ highways speeds and/or carrying a load in a cross-wind, no squishiness.

As I've stated many times before, Exo's have been fantastic for me here in ND where we got lots of hard-packed snow/ice. As big of a fan of the Exo's as I am, I've had Blizzaks on at least 1/2 dozen fleet vehicles over the years and no AT tire comes anywhere close to a dedicated directional soft-compound winter-only "Snow Tire" for slickery stuff.

Thanks, horse1 - I was thinking Exo not Terra based on your previous posts.

Well, I took my Ram 2500 diesel in to rotate the Cooper ST Maxx's one last time and they told me it was time to replace them. At 37-38k, I probably could get to 40k but it's about time to start driving in snow and they're pretty thin. I went with the Nitto Exo's and they do drive nice on the pavement - notably quieter than the ST Maxx. I'll hopefully get them in the snow soon...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't tow a lot in the snow, but these 2 do great on my show plow trucks. I only run them OCT to late April as April has a lot of mud. They seem to last for 3-4 seasons

https://www.treadwright.com/collections/filter/products/lt-mt-claw-265-75-r16-10ply These are on my 350 and 250.

https://www.tirerecappers.com/tires/farm-construction-tires/lt26575r16-retread-extreme-mt-copy/ These are on my wife's Jeep

These are good for snow but not for a lot of highway travel
https://www.tirerecappers.com/tires/mud-terrain-tires/lt23585r16-retread-extra-grip-mt/. These are on my old 250 that doesn't go more than 15 miles from the house

These are the worst:
https://www.treadwright.com/collections/filter/products/warden-265-70-17. These used to be what was on my wife's Jeep

https://www.tirerecappers.com/tires/all-terrain-tires/lt28570r17-retread-back-woods-a-t/

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That last selection (worst) looks a lot like BFG T/A KOs. Had a new 4x4 truck back in '02 that came with them. Was never impressed with them on ice, in snow or mud.

One of those tires reminded me of what I used to run for snow tires on 2WD trucks years ago, the old Firestone Town and Country tires. That tread pattern worked pretty well, but they didn't wear worth a damn. So they were on a set of rims and went on in November, came off in late March.

Once had a set with similar tread design on my old C10 Chevy work truck, that were even better. Mohawk L70/15 bias ply tires. Never had that truck stuck in mud or snow, got in and out of some pretty nasty situations with it. They actually wore better than the Firestones.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
[quote=JGray]Well, I took my Ram 2500 diesel in to rotate the Cooper ST Maxx's one last time and they told me it was time to replace them. At 37-38k, I probably could get to 40k but it's about time to start driving in snow and they're pretty thin. I went with the Nitto Exo's and they do drive nice on the pavement - notably quieter than the ST Maxx. I'll hopefully get them in the snow soon...

Curious to get your take regarding stability when you hook up something heavy as well as snow traction.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Time to me to switch back to the studded coopers and I'm sort of dreading it. The Exo Grapplers do surprisingly well on snow/ice in my experience. When the coopers wear out I'll probably get a second set of exos and have them studded.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
General Grabber AT2's or ATX. Read the reviews, you wont find a bad one. They excel on snow and icy roads. Its the only tires I buy anymore. I'm getting ready to put them on my 6th vehicle. 60,000 mile warranty and cheaper priced than almost all the big name tires. I run mine in the oilfield over the crappiest rocky roads you've ever seen and they hold up great. Also pull my camper around alot, they work great for towing, but they excel on snow packed icy roads. I very seldon have to use 4x4 with these tires on. For example I can usually drive 10mph faster in two wheel drive when i know others are crawling down the road in 4x4, it blows my mind how good they stick to the road. Read the reviews, price them, BUY THEM, and thank me later.

Last edited by slymule; 11/22/19.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

237 members (257_X_50, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 29 invisible), 2,228 guests, and 1,107 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,479
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.