Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Sold an item to a guy that wanted to use PayPal for $660. I have had a Paypal account for buying off eBay, never used it for selling. OK, 'bout time I learned that side of it.

Funds sent ok, I transferred funds from Paypal to bank but PayPal says it may take a day or two to verify. Buyer wants item shipped today, before funds are in my bank, or verified or whatever you want to call it.

Is it OK to ship the item before funds are transferred and verified? Does Paypal give a buyer the option of cancelling payment for any reason, and is this a danger of shipping too soon?

*A couple of small red flags on the deal so just want to be cautious.

Last edited by Fireball2; 11/22/19.

LOL
GB1

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Dunno dude.
Never have used it.
But until I knew the money was 100% in my account .
I wouldnt ship nothing.
And the buyer needs to honor that, cause he is probably well aware of their delay on stuff,or he is fixing too be if ya inform him of paypals method.

JMO....

And i didnt stay in a motel 6 last night either.

Lol!!!

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Yeah, I did it as a favor to him, certainly not my first choice. I've been surprised how many people can't abide by the sellers stated payment option of USPS money order, ONLY. Always some sob story why that's hard for them.

Well, don't buy it then.

LOL
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd ship it most times but I usually have a lot of texts of PMs with people and can sense wonky types. Yes he could file a claim in theory but not likely. PP is a lot quicker with the transfers than they used to be. You'll likely have it in the bank in the morning. You could ship it and not tell him the tracking number until it hits the bank or just wait until tomorrow.

I bought a flex fuel sensor set up from a guy yesterday afternoon and he shipped it 2 hours later. That said 120 is a lot less of a pill than 600.

If the guy has some feedback somewhere you can get a feel for matters too.

Guy might actually need it ASAP which is why he could be anxious. Most matters for me aren't that critical. I mailed a guy a check one time for a McWhorter 300 WSM and he played the mess around on shipping for a couple of weeks (I think he advertised too low and when someone paid his price he got a little regretful but it all worked fine in the end).

People are overall pretty reliable but buyer/seller beware still applies.

Originally Posted By: slumlord

people that text all day get on my nerves

just knowing that people are out there with that ability,....just makes me wanna punch myself in the balls
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Yeah, I did it as a favor to him, certainly not my first choice. I've been surprised how many people can't abide by the sellers stated payment option of USPS money order, ONLY. Always some sob story why that's hard for them.

Well, don't buy it then.

You ought to see the BS I see when I tell someone they we can use old school envelopes with a MO or check on my car stuff. These young guys don't have any concept of a USPS MO and the protections that can bring to the deal.

Originally Posted By: slumlord

people that text all day get on my nerves

just knowing that people are out there with that ability,....just makes me wanna punch myself in the balls
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I sell a lot of stuff that is paid thru PayPal, including on ebay.
If the money has hit your PayPal account, I say you are safe to send. I've never had a problem with PayPal account.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Bighorn
If the money has hit your PayPal account, I say you are safe to send. I've never had a problem with PayPal account.

+1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Buyer needs to not get his underwear in a wad.

If the buyer is somebody on here that needs a hug, he can PM me, I went on vacation for a couple weeks and told you to send it whenever. grin

And all was good.

👍👍

Fireball is safe guy to conduct transactions with.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Did you F&F?

It says it takes a few days for the funds to go from Paypal to you bank account. But once it’s in PayPal it should be fine. Seems to be pretty quick from PayPal to your bank account once you do it a few times. At least that’s been my experience.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Did he use the Friends and Family option?

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by efw
Originally Posted by Bighorn

+1

+2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
He did not use F&F, although I asked him to. Said he had never done it...

Thanks for the input.

LOL
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
If you’re going to use PP, this is what I would suggest to avoid the nightmares most often complained about. NEVER, and I mean NEVER ATTACH YOUR PP ACCOUNT TO YOUR PERSONAL CHECKING ACCOUNT! Read that again a few times to make sure it sinks in...

This is what I do. I have a checking account devoted solely to PP. I can move funds freely between it and my personal account. It is associated to PP but the funds can go freely between it and PP and back in to my account.

OK, so why is that important? Because it acts as a firewall to PP. PP is notorious for freezing accounts at the drop of a hat for whatever reason. If you associate your personal, everyday account, you could find yourself frozen out of your money one day with no notice or reason given. And not just for whatever amount there happened to be some discrepancy over, I mean your entire bank account frozen.

I’ve heard stories of this happening to people for nothing more than a complaint from a buyer. Or a note in the comments section of his payment that they feel is not PC enough.

Get yourself a little account dedicated solely to PP. put just enough money in it to cover whatever transaction you are involved with at the time, and take out whatever money you get after it’s over to protect yourself.

Do that and PP can come in very handy for the type of stuff we do in the classifieds. Attach it to your personal account and it has the potentially to be a train wreck in the making.

Last edited by Dryfly24; 11/22/19.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
PayPal might not release the funds to you till it is shipped. Fraudulent transactions go both ways.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd listen to your gut on this one.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
[Linked Image from ichef.bbci.co.uk]

I am MAGA.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

Thanks for the input.

Unless I know the seller very well, I never use F&F. I’ll gladly pay the 3% fee which only adds up to a few bucks for the protection it affords. F&F leaves you with absolutely no protection in the event of a problem.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dryfly24
If you’re going to use PP, this is what I would suggest to avoid the nightmares most often complained about. NEVER, and I mean NEVER ATTACH YOUR PP ACCOUNT TO YOUR PERSONAL CHECKING ACCOUNT! Read that again a few times to make sure it sinks in...

This is what I do. I have a checking account devoted solely to PP. I can move funds freely between it and my personal account. It is associated to PP but the funds can go freely between it and PP and back in to my account.

OK, so why is that important? Because it acts as a firewall to PP. PP is notorious for freezing accounts at the drop of a hat for whatever reason. If you associate your personal, everyday account, you could find yourself frozen out of your money one day with no notice or reason given. And not just for whatever amount there happened to be some discrepancy over, I mean your entire bank account frozen.

I’ve heard stories of this happening to people for nothing more than a complaint from a buyer. Or a note in the comments section of his payment that they feel is not PC enough.

Get yourself a little account dedicated solely to PP. put just enough money in it to cover whatever transaction you are involved with at the time, and take out whatever money you get after it’s over to protect yourself.

Do that and PP can come in very handy for the type of stuff we do in the classifieds. Attach it to your personal account and it has the potentially to be a train wreck in the making.

That's good advice. I will do that.

LOL
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I will not ever use P.P. again after they beat me out of a $100.00 years ago. Just my take, if they want to use paypal I pass. Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dryfly24

Thanks for the input.

Unless I know the seller very well, I never use F&F. I’ll gladly pay the 3% fee which only adds up to a few bucks for the protection it affords. F&F leaves you with absolutely no protection in the event of a problem.

+1

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

393 members (12344mag, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 31 invisible), 2,645 guests, and 992 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,283
Posts18,467,796
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.