Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
mart Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
I recently bought a Remington 40x in 222. I've wanted one since I was a very young man. I found one at what wasn't a steal but wasn't a bad price. It included a 36x Leupold. I tried several 50-52 grain bullets over 19.5 grains of IMR 4198, a long time accuracy load for me in other 222's. The best group I could get was just over 3/4 inch and most loads shot well over an inch, some over two.

I didn't think it was humanly possible to put enough rounds through a 222 to ruin the barrel but it seems that is what has happened to this one. I just got a Lyman bore scope yesterday and it looks bad. Some noticeable throat erosion and significant pitting in much of the barrel.

I have a 36x Weaver and am going to shoot some more groups with the Leupold and then change out the scope and try again before I decide on a rebarrel, but I suspect that's the route I'll have to take. I have contacted the seller and he indicates the consignee may work with me some by refunding a portion of the purchase price toward a new barrel. Since I've shot the rifle they aren't going to take it back and I wouldn't expect them to. I was really disappointed to finally get a 40x and then have it shoot horribly.

So if you were going to rebarrel a 40x in 222, for the sole purpose of enjoying shooting little groups, who would you use and what barrel maker? Thanks in advance guys.

Last edited by mart; 11/23/19.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
lots of options, I’ve never had bad luck with brux or Bartlien.

http://www.bugholes.com/product-p/b-224-8tw-ss-hv-31.htm

The link takes you to a 8 twist barrel. I imagine the factory 40-x’s had 12 or 14 twist. I have shot lots of 50-55 grain bullets out of an 8 twist with great accuracy though.

http://www.bugholes.com/product-p/m-224-12tw-ss-m24-27.htm

http://www.bugholes.com/product-p/b-224-12-ss-m24-27.htm

Found a few 12 twist listed above. I can’t recommend a gunsmith. Good luck👍

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I think, from what I’ve learned, accuracy shooters historically didn’t want to twist bullets faster than necessary. Seems twisting fast can magnify bullet defects. Bullets today are pretty good and I’m not sure that idea is as prevalent as back in the day, although you sometimes see specialized target barrels with ROT tweaked for a certain bullet.

Faster twist gives more options and I would go faster than factory. 222 may not be a round I’d choose for heavies, but fast twist also does well with conventional bullets. I’d choose an 8 twist over a 12 or 14. I’ve never wished a rifle had slower twist.

DF

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I think, from what I’ve learned, accuracy shooters historically didn’t want to twist bullets faster than necessary. Seems twisting fast can magnify bullet defects. Bullets today are pretty good and I’m not sure that idea is as prevalent as back in the day, although you sometimes see specialized target barrels with ROT tweaked for a certain bullet.

Faster twist gives more options and I would go faster than factory. 222 may not be a round I’d choose for heavies, but fast twist also does well with conventional bullets. I’d choose an 8 twist over a 12 or 14. I’ve never wished a rifle had slower twist.

DF

Same thoughts here. RPMs make little critters fly too

Semper Fi
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Spinning a frag type bullet faster makes it even badder.

DF

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mart
So if you were going to rebarrel a 40x in 222, for the sole purpose of enjoying shooting little groups, who would you use and what barrel maker? Thanks in advance guys.

Any of the top tier barrels makers won't disappoint, it may boil down to who or where you can get one in a reasonable time frame.

No way I would run an eight twist strictly for for shooting groups, assuming 100/200 yards.

Match the twist to the intended bullet/s for best results.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Bob White, a benchrest gunsmith, benchrest shooter, and owner of Shooters Corner in New Jersey would be a good choice for 40X work.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

^^^^^^ this. Most group shooters have as slow a twist as they can get away with. I haven’t seen or heard of a fast twist 6ppc or deuce at a group shoot in years. 6ppc usually 13-15 twist and 30BR 14-17 twist as below.

https://kriegerbarrels.com/smallestgroup

Scroll down for equipment and notice the super fast twist at 1 in 17.

On June 8th, 2013, Michael Stinnett shot a new world record, surpassing a group that held the record for 40 years. 5 shots were fired at a distance of 100 yards. This record was shot at the North Texas Shooters Association NBRSA match in Denton, TX. That 5 shots were fired was verified by use of a moving backer, and the .0077 IN group size was an average of the measurements from multiple judges.

Swifty
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I’m not a group shooter. So my opinion is for a general use scenario and I like flexibility.

So, I lean toward faster twist.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

A little background.....I cut my competition teeth shooting point blank Benchrest for several years, then added Hunter Benchrest to the mix for close to 25 years.

I eventually got out of the short range game to concentrate on 1000 yard Benchrest, with an ocassional 600 yard BR match thrown it for good measure.

Never did I, or anyone I knew, shoot a fast twist barrel in short range competition because it was just as accurate as a slow twist barrel......

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by aalf

A little background.....I cut my competition teeth shooting point blank Benchrest for several years, then added Hunter Benchrest to the mix for close to 25 years.

I eventually got out of the short range game to concentrate on 1000 yard Benchrest, with an ocassional 600 yard BR match thrown it for good measure.

Never did I, or anyone I knew, shoot a fast twist barrel in short range competition because it was just as accurate as a slow twist barrel......

I understand. That’s beyond my pay grade.

So, to me faster is better, but that’s just for my use.

If I was into your kinda shooting, would probably be tweaking twist to the bullet, trying to keep up and be competitive.

DF

M
mart Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
I emailed Shooter's Corner for an estimate. I'm with the slow twist crowd. A fast twist has it place and if I was doing anything other than just group shooting I'd consider a fast twist barrel.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
If you want to use larger bullets, pick a cartridge with a larger cartridge capacity. I would stay in the 12-14 twist area and that will handle up to 55 grain bullet.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Where the barrels on the 40x made by Remington or a outside vendor?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
mart,
I had the same thing happen about 15 years ago, I did some trade work for a highly prized 40X in 222 Rem. It shot horribly so I took it to my gunsmith and his bore scope revealed it was worn and pitted. I wanted to re-barrel and my gunsmith recommended doing a blueprint and pillar bedding job as well, a 40X needs a blueprint job as bad as any M700.
At the time the only barrel I could get quick was a Pac-Nor 1-14" twist. To this day it is still my most accurate non benchrest rifle.
DO NOT listen to dirt farmer and bastardize a triple deuce, save the fast twist for another cartridge.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd be the least qualified to comment on this, but I do have an opinion and that is the .222's best use is for bullets no heavier than 55 grains. I'd go with a 12 twist...or maybe 14 but 12 just seems the best choice to me.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I think I'd go to Hart barrels. They made some of the barrels used in 40X rifles, IIRC, and the one Hart I had would shoot really, really well (6BR-14" twist). It was originally in 6PPC, but didn't shoot well enough to win the Nationals, so the user sold it to us, and we used it on a PD rifle. It shot more than well enough to kill range rats.

Hart still makes good barrels, and they do installs, too, or did, anyway.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by grumpy7904
Where the barrels on the 40x made by Remington or a outside vendor?

The barrels for the 40XBR rifles were button rifled and made in house, mostly by Mike Walker, up into the eighties. They were excellent barrels. I still have the barrel from an early eighties 40X under the bench and this barrel will still shoot quality groups. It is a 14 twist and has never been fired with anything but 52 grain bullets. GD

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Pac Nor if you can wait till they get running again......

Leave your options option......maybe someday you'll varmint shoot

and run 53 V max out of it......not quite the same.....but

I have a 20-222 Pac Nor w/9 twist.......like a laser.........

dog killin' machine !

Last edited by tikkanut; 12/01/19.

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I would be tempted to get a 5R barrel from Bartlein like the Marine Corps model 308 which have a good reputation for accuracy. Not sure who makes those barrels.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
154 members (338Rules, 32_20fan, 358WCF, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 19 invisible), 1,977 guests, and 945 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,650
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.