Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Lonny Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Every spring, for the past few years, Fieldgrade and I head out for a day of varmint shooting. In our area, the critters we shoot are Columbian Ground Squirrels, but I've never heard anybody call them that in these parts. It's know as "squirrel shootin"

We were a couple weeks later getting out this year due to me being busy and the weather being a bit dicey. Ground squirrels like sun and nice days. Trying to shoot them on a bad weather day is like pissin' up a rope.

Made it to the spot where we park and usually get some warm-up shooting before we walk a bit.

FG got some shooting using the pickup for a rest. I convinced him that due to my pickup being a Dodge product and a diesel on top of that, the cold 70 degree weather might make getting it started again a chance we don't want to take. So he had to shoot with the pickup running. Nothing like a little added challenge.

[Linked Image]

I don't think he believed me about needing to leave the pickup idling, because later I caught him trying to shoot my antenna off when resting on the mirror. He is a crafty guy.... wink

Despite all my precautions he got some squirrels for the cooler with his CZ .22 and we were off to grand start.

We loaded up our gear and headed for a walkabout to the next spot.

Once there, I managed to convince FG to set up right behind a 2" steel post that effectively cut off 50% of his shooting opportunities. The wires on the fence blocked another 40% of his shots. smile

[Linked Image]

We were using centerfire here and stretched things out a bit. We cussed and discussed many things and every so often shot a squirrel. The cannibalistic squirrels were especially targeted.

Shot of the day was made by FG when he dusted one especially skinny squirrel that was standing on a stump. Yardage was around 150 and even with sticks that's a tough shot. I cheat totally and use a bipod prone.

By the end of the day, we had our limits on squirrels. I graciously gave my share to FG and I'm sure he was up well past midnight cleaning squirrels.

A good time was had by all, except the squirrels

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wasn't about to stay up that late so I sold em to that Mexican joint we eat at on my way home.

PS.....now you know why I only order the Chili Rellenos.

Lonny Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
No wonder they were having 3 tacos for a buck this week...

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Great stuff... Beautiful country..

Molon Labe
J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Looks like you guys had a great time! Gorgeous country! I'm envious!

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Lonny & Field Grade: Good for you guys gettin after'em!
What a beautiful day it looks like for your venture.
Speaking of nearly shooting ones antenna "off" I have seen that very thing happen on three occasions.
I have also seen at least 10 side view mirrors on pickup trucks "shot"! That can be an expensive fix.
In addition I have heard of two roofs of pickup trucks shot holes in to!
And one floorboard of a rental truck blasted a hole into (223!)
Over the years I have had shorter in stature "shooters" zing my hood on my VarmintMobiles! That is also not a cheap fix.
In fact I have a "crease" in my VarmintMobiles hood right now - caused by a shorter person not using do caution.
I carry a fence wire repair kit in my VarmintMobile and have had to repair 20 strands, at least, over the last 50 years of "Squirrel Hunting"
In high volume shooting situations it behooves folks to constantly check for muzzle clearance and obstacles out front.
Glad you guys had a safe and wonderful day afield.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Lonny Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
VG, I was totally joking about shooting the antenna off.

Field Grade is an absolute pro when it comes to anything firearms related, shooting, or handling. We did joke about shooting the antenna off though! smile

When I was a kid, about 12 years old, I would sit in my Dad's 1972 Ford pickup and wait for starlings to land on the roof of the barn. They would only land for a few seconds before they went into the barn so you had to shoot pretty quick. Well in the process of getting a quick shot, I failed to see the mirror and sent a .22 bullet through the corner of the mirror. Man, I figured I was dead and my .22 was gone... When Dad came home I told him exactly what happened and I think he could see that I felt real bad because he told me about creasing the hood of the first car he had while shooting squirrels. Lesson learned on my part though!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Lonny
When I was a kid, about 12 years old, I would sit in my Dad's 1972 Ford pickup and wait for starlings to land on the roof of the barn. They would only land for a few seconds before they went into the barn so you had to shoot pretty quick. Well in the process of getting a quick shot, I failed to see the mirror and sent a .22 bullet through the corner of the mirror. Man, I figured I was dead and my .22 was gone... When Dad came home I told him exactly what happened and I think he could see that I felt real bad because he told me about creasing the hood of the first car he had while shooting squirrels. Lesson learned on my part though!

That's nothing Lonny.......the next time you're in the passenger seat of my Taco lift up the floor mat and check out the bullet hole my "friend" put in the floorboard with his 204 while we were Coyote hunting.

Fortunately it didn't hit any vital parts (on me or my truck) but I quit hunting with him anyway. smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mirrors? at least I missed the glass. this time.....

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Ask me how many radio antenna I've replaced after shooting sage rats off the hood of my truck.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
wasn't so lucky from my car.....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Oh chit.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Huntsman22: Your second picture reminds me of my friends Dodge Diesel pickup with extendo-mirrors.
He shot his driver side mirror three times in quick succession as a Badger made its way in front of him!
He had ear plugs in and did not "recognize" the funny noise at each of his shots - Badger escaped unharmed.
I only wish I had been along to witness that one.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
One of my nephews put a hole in one of his fenders shooting his 7 mag across the hood😮

Last edited by navlav8r; 06/05/19.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
If you haven't shot a mirror or antenna you haven't done enough gopher hunting - it will happen eventually.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Lonny
FG got some shooting using the pickup for a rest. I convinced him that due to my pickup being a Dodge product and a diesel on top of that, the cold 70 degree weather might make getting it started again a chance we don't want to take.

70°, cold? Truck won’t start? Surely you jest??

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by drover
If you haven't shot a mirror or antenna you haven't done enough gopher hunting - it will happen eventually.

drover

Have a woman friend that is a through-hiker. She’s done the AT, PCT & CDT. She says “you are not a thru-hiker until you’ve pooped your pants. It will happen eventually.”

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Mirrors? at least I missed the glass. this time.....

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Wow, I thought you were just a hunter. Had no idea you were a precision shooter too. laugh

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
352 members (280shooter, 204guy, 29aholic, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 45 invisible), 2,242 guests, and 1,083 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,724
Posts18,400,599
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.