Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
djb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I loved Leupold scopes; they were all I purchased. They are light, svelte, look good, and are crap internally. I have been working on loads for a new 350 Legend and was getting some erratic groups (2 touching 1 out) with a 3-9 VX2. Next range trip my POI moved about 3 inches right, but the wind was blowing so I figured the stubby 35 cal bullet was really getting pushed around. Next range trip, groups went totally to crap and so I swapped the scope to a Weaver K4 I had bought cheap but never mounted. Guess what, next day I had nice groups and the scope actually adjusted correctly during sight in. So besides getting some good velocity data I totally wasted 3 days of load development + gas, bullets, etc. It is TOO expensive for me to keep using their garbage.

If you don’t shoot much, or have never used a mechanically stable scope before, you probably don’t realize the issue chasing POI changes or unexplained fliers that you “pulled”. A couple inches of POI shift probably won’t cost the average hunter on game (or may not be noticed) under 100 yds. Ever wonder why “1 box a year” hunters have to check and adjust their zero ever year before hunting? What happened in that gun safe to change their zero from last year? I was on the fence but no more. This is at least the 3rd or 4th scope I have sent back to them and none were abused or on heavy kickers. Using a couple SWFA’s was a revelation. Yes, they are heavy and bulky but stable. I am officially done with Leupold variables and am keeping a close eye on a couple fixed 4X’s I still use.

BTW, that Weaver K4 is a darn nice scope. I wish I had grabbed a couple more.

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from media1.tenor.com]

D
djb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
LOL!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Ha .. I have Leupolds that I have used for 30 plus years, still going strong,,

Molon Labe
IC B2

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I wasted a lot of range time on what turned out to be a bad VX2. Live and learn.

Is the erector system the same between a VX2 and VX3i?

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
In 35-years of guiding hunters every season, Leupold is the only major scope brand that I havent seen fail in the field. Every one of my backup guns has a Leopold on it and those guns get beat to [bleep]. I'm a fan!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter

I'm beginning to think the older ones were the ones to get. The vari-x models... The glass was not as good as the newer ones, but the internals just puke on the VX1-3 and similar models... My boss has a newer VX6 model that he raves about and it has been acting haywire. I haven't the heart to tell him his scope is puking and not his rifle... The other day at the range, we decided to go to the 100 yard target first because he wasn't hitting chidt at 400. Sure as chidt, his leupold VX6 super scope was directing them 3" to the right and high. No wonder he was a foot to the right and a foot high at 400.... This is what guys don't understand. I mean Leupold lovers don't understand. But, if you are happy with that kind of performance or only shoot 50 yards at your critter, or just plink at rocks, and "hate targets", you'll never have a problem, I guess....

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by yukon254
In 35-years of guiding hunters every season, Leupold is the only major scope brand that I havent seen fail in the field. Every one of my backup guns has a Leopold on it and those guns get beat to [bleep]. I'm a fan!

And its guys like you that I appreciate. Because I will take Leupolds off of rifles I buy and sell them on ebay for a healthy price. I have one right now that I took off of a boat paddle ruger and the scope will bring $350.00 easily. I only paid $500.00 for the complete rifle scope package. I want to thank guys like you for keeping the market strong on these older Leupold scopes. I'll be listing that Leupold on ebay in a few days... wink

BSA MAGA
D
djb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter

I'm beginning to think the older ones were the ones to get. The vari-x models....... But, if you are happy with that kind of performance or only shoot 50 yards at your critter, or just plink at rocks, and "hate targets", you'll never have a problem, I guess....

This is exactly why so many people still believe in their Leupolds. They look good, cost a lot, and generally function well enough; BUT when you a lot, shoot longer ranges, or have a very accurate rifle, then the nuances of the mechanical instability become apparent. If they are happy, great, you only have to please yourself.

BTW, my initial post was inaccurate as to model. This was a Vari-x II 3-9 not VX 2; one of the older friction models which is supposed to be good. This scope has seen very little use and spent the last 5 years just sitting in the safe unused. It took a box of ammo to get sighted in and then POI wandered around. The Weaver took about 4 shots to zero and a SWFA generally takes about 2!

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I’ve sent Leupolds back for erector issues. Just sent my first Bushnell Elite 3-9x40 back for same thing. We’ll see how they handle it. Was sorta wishing it was a Leupold, knowing what they would do.

Got a NF 3-10x42 SHV Forceplex on my Creed. It is a confidence builder.

I’ve used Leupolds for decades, still have a number.

I’m on a ladder stand now, rifle is my 7-08 Bobby Hart with 3-9x40 Conquest. Have several of those, never had a problem. Bought several when they were closing them out for around $285 a few years back. That may have been the best scope deal ever.

DF

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My older Leupolds from early 90s until about 2006 have been solid overall. None of them track real well but they hold zero and never have shifted from year to year. The newer ones are not nearly as good IME. The ONLY exception has been the 6x36s I’ve bought past couple years. They track well and have held zero very nicely. The two variables I’ve bought have both went back for issues. Other than those fixed power 6s I’m done buying Leupolds.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Have heard that about fixed power Leupolds, the 6x36 and 6x42. Don’t have either.

DF

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I go to the range and confirm the zero of every scope on every rifle that I plan to hunt with, even if they were all zeroed when they were last used and put away. I do so because I consider it to be routine maintenance, what the Army used to call "PMCS", for any hunting rifle. I try to actively manage the variables that are within my control. I wouldn't go far afield without checking the condition of my gear, be it a rope, a knife, or a vehicle.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

When I moved away from Leopold's to better scooes sightin became a breeze and my rifles shot tighter groups. No Leopold's for me

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I prefer Vari-X series to anything VX. That said, on the rifles I truly hunt with the most, I've been migrating to Nightforce 2.5-10x42 or 3-10x42. I'll suffer the extra 5-8oz to have the rock-solid mechanical reliability.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jwp475

When I moved away from Leopold's to better scooes sightin became a breeze and my rifles shot tighter groups. No Leopold's for me

So what scopes are you using?

Thanks

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The vx-1 on my .30-06 did fine by me again this year. Killed a nice 7 point with it last Saturday. Originally zeroed this rifle/scope/ammo combo 2 years ago and when I checked it prior to this season it was still right there. Checked the one on my .223 the same day. It also was still right on and grouping at .5" as usual. Had another scope puke on me out of the blue just a couple weeks ago. That one a 4x Bushnell Banner I purchased new back in 1989. I reckon I got my moneys worth out of it.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Reba
Originally Posted by jwp475

So what scopes are you using?

Thanks

S&B, Nightforce, Meopta and Tract Toric all adjust correctly, have great glass and stay zeroed

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I have always puzzled when you have two diverse opinions on any shooting topic. I cannot buy this crap stuff. I have had and have many Leupold's. In one forum it was crap for Leupold's. The next post was from a silhouette shooter. That guy reported good service from Leupold's. I got and 25x silhouette scope and a long range 8.5x24. I'm gonna do the box test shortly to see if all the reports are true. Some of that stuff YouTube is hard to believe. Should it be true, Leupold will take care of the customer. After Nightforce what will be the next wonder scope.

Last edited by Roundball1; 11/23/19.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
756 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 84 invisible), 2,920 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,704
Posts18,400,064
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.