-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
First thing you need to do is prioritize... What is most important for you to get out of this hunt? A big ram? A big bear? No competition in the field? Those are the things I would decide before choosing a guide or a hunting area... Because there a bunch of good outfitters that can get you a bear and a ram.... and maybe even more schit heads that won't get you either.

Tanner

GB1

N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
Spoke with Jake last night.

In on the 7th to focus on grizzly for a few days, then the main focus on sheep beginning the 10th. Out on the 18th.
If I'm not successful on grizzly before the 10th bear becomes a target of opportunity while hunting sheep.

Interestingly, Jake recommends a quilt over a bag due to weight. Need to do some research.

Last edited by nyrifleman; 12/01/19.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by nyrifleman

In on the 7th to focus on grizzly for a few days, then the main focus on sheep beginning the 10th. Out on the 18th.
If I'm not successful on grizzly before the 10th bear becomes a target of opportunity while hunting sheep.

Interestingly, Jake recommends a quilt over a bag due to weight. Need to do some research.

For that time of year, check out Enlightened Equipment of Winona, MN for quilts........They have a sale on at this time.
I use mine a lot and may order another for canoe, fishing trips and early hunts I use a 20 degree and may order a 0 degree but as an old guy
my circulation may not be as good as yours. I intend to order mine over-stuffed in order to reduce shifting of the down. I've got a half dozen
sleeping bags but none beat this quilt for early season comfort and weight.

N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
Vern, that's the brand Jake recommends. Was looking them over last night.

I'm 52, will be pushing 55 when the hunt takes place. The lighter the better!

“Factio democratica delenda est"
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Personally I would not mess around with a bear if I was sheep hunting. If you do get a bear your going to be messing around for a day or two packing it out,. fleshing it out. A good bear hide is going to weigh 80-100 lbs.

Sheep hunting is going to require 100% attention. If you still must have a bear hunt it after your sheep. Beats are spread out pretty thinly and you can eat up a lot of time tying to find one.

Took me two trips to find mine.

Lefty

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Do the combo, but understand it adds certain challenges, not to mention additional costs.

On my combo hunt, I never saw a legal shooter bear, turns out the area wasn't a decent area for bear, which could sway your decision....listen the outfitter, and hope he's being honest with odds of success on the bear.

if you don't do the combo, odds are you'll see a stud of a bear,

No one wants to be 'that guy'.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Tanner
First thing you need to do is prioritize... What is most important for you to get out of this hunt? A big ram? A big bear? No competition in the field? Those are the things I would decide before choosing a guide or a hunting area... Because there a bunch of good outfitters that can get you a bear and a ram.... and maybe even more schit heads that won't get you either.

Tanner

Everybody read this again.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by nyrifleman

That's the best call and a good one by Jake.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 56 invisible), 2,318 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,610
Posts18,454,896
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.