Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Sounds like there is a need for a 308

ARIC

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Can't always judge the expansion of a bullet by the size of the exit hole. Often, when only the base is left, or when the petals fold back against the sides, a small hole results. I've seen this with Partitions.

Just as with even slower rounds such as the Blackout/Whisper, choosing a proper bullet is helpfull when there's not an abundance of power. The high-BC bullets available for the Grendel help maintain speed pretty far out.

As usual, interested parties should do their own research and not rely on the carping of those with agendas, pro or con. When someone starts off bashing something rather than posing a question or saying something positive, a little warning bell goes off.

Only took my first Grendel out to 300 on a range a couple of times, but found it easy to hit with using data from a ballistics app, my guesstimated velocity, and the three-legged duplex (T-Plex) reticle in my scope. I'd be very comfortable taking that shot on game as well. I have a better rifle (lighter in weight,than either of my Grendels, btw) for reaching way out if it comes to that, but wouldn't pass on a 300-400 yard shot with the little 6.5.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pappy348
choosing a proper bullet is helpfull

That goes a long way towards working like it should...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Obviously you didn’t have your coffee this morning.

Originally Posted by dla
It just doesn't have the velocity to make bullets work. Great for punching paper but thats about it.

He's just trolling. I seriously doubt he's actually hunted with a Grendel, and wouldn't believe him if he said he did.

Also, KelTec makes junk. whistle

Never shot a Grendle.
I question all these attempts at bigger diameter AR cartridges.
As a pragmatic person, who recognizes the need for speed, and mass, and bullet
design in an effective chamberings, they lack two of the three.

I do have a bit of experience with the Sweede.
Not impressed with 140, Sierra or BT'S. Only a few deer killed, all requiring more
than 1 hit to go down. A couple hit, not found. (Hit where? Can't be sure. But
I don't often lose deer)

Loads aren't cronographed, but are based on 260+ data.

Bullets have expanded, full penetration, but
Wounds have been very unimpressive.
120's are waiting for a test subject. Hopefully youngest daughter will prove
them next Saturday.

All to say, I have no problem believing a 120 started slower than my 140's
would not be impressive.

Often, i think these things just come down to where you are, where you shoot the deer,
and how much you enjoy hunting after the noise.

As a rifle hunter who isn't a fan of light calibers, I expect rib shot deer to go down in sight.
Any blood trails to be quite easy to follow.
Having to hunt for a shot animal is something I hate, and choices are made
with that in mind.

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 11/23/19.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I've seen no real difference on deer between the .243, .257, .270, .308, .30/06, even the .44 mag at woods ranges. The bigger ones just blew up and jellied more meat. My grandson has used a little 7.62x39 on a couple of bucks with fine results. Sometimes they run, sometimes they flop, but ones hit well don't go far. Brain Pearce, a pretty reliable source I believe, is a big fan of the little 6.5, based on considerable experience with it. He and his brood shoot a lot, and a lot of game and varmints. I take his recommendations very seriously.

I'll have the new Grendel ready and try it out next season on deer. In the interim, I'll have fun futzing around with it without worrying about burning out the barrel, burning up a bunch of powder, or rattling my poor old brain. It might get the grandson test too.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Your rant seems to imply that the parent cartridge of the 6.5 Grendel, the 7.62x39, would also be ineffective. It lacks both velocity and mass, given the Grendel’s notional bullet weight at 123 grains and the Russian round at 124 grains.

Of course, this isn’t true.

This, followed by “I haven’t shot the Grendel,” doesn’t give much weight to your analysis......

Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

I question all these attempts at bigger diameter AR cartridges.
As a pragmatic person, who recognizes the need for speed, and mass, and bullet design in an effective chamberings, they lack two of the three.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's why I built a 243 LBC (6mm Grendel) instead of a 6.5 Grendel.

I just get a little more velocity and better sectional density for penetration.

But in all honesty, I have better rifles for shots past 200 yds.

Dan

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dla
Bullets just aren't moving fast enough to reliably expand. They drill small holes in and out. Too much game wounded and lost when the shots get much past 200.
This is what I thought when my friend/neighbor put together an AR in 6.5 Grendel. We patrol our properties at least 5 days a week for hogs. We've killed several hogs some of them ^200 lbs. with it. None got away and 2 large ones were killed at over 300 yards. I shot one at just under 350 and he went down for the count. I know this is a limited sample but so far I'm impressed. I mostly use a .30-06 bolt rifle in the daytime and a .223 AR at night. The night shooting is generally under 200 yards. In any case I wouldn't hesitate to take a shot with the Grendel 129 grain Nosler LRAB if it was a shot I would take with a .308 w/150 grain bullet

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Hastings
In any case I wouldn't hesitate to take a shot with the Grendel 129 grain Nosler LRAB if it was a shot I would take with a .308 w/150 grain bullet

What?

Are you trying to say bullet selection matters?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dla
It just doesn't have the velocity to make bullets work. Great for punching paper but thats about it.

Ha. Thanks for all the convincing evidence. I'll continue to tempt fate with the marginal capabilities of the round.

Yup.
IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
DLA is the same clown who says Glocks are garbage and Keltecs are the only way to roll, along with classics like if you are not shooting full power loads in your .44 magnum all the time, you are not a real man and should buy a smaller gun. Mid range loads are for women. All true gems. crazy

Some people open their mouths and remove all doubt.

Bill Alexander brought 6.5 G rifles out to a group of us in the 2000s, in hopes of securing a potential contract from our organization. They were pretty easy to make hits at rather extended distances with. Ballistics wise it is a pretty impressive cartridge from a standard AR platform. I would not want to be anywhere within 750 yards or so of a properly trained individual who had a 6.5 G, knew his dope, and I was an adversary.

It probably is a crap cartridge in the hands of DLA though.

In the hands of a capable shooter, I would have no issue taking shots on average deer out to 350-375 provided the environmental factors were favorable.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

D
dla Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush defecating from his mouth wrote:
I would have no issue taking shots on average deer out to 350-375 provided the environmental factors were favorable.

Wow! You clearly didn't even bother to read up on the cartridge before you made a fool of yourself.
Hint: theres a difference between ringing a steel plate and making an ethical kill.

It is people like you, influencing noobs, who then go out and waste animals.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
'da fug you talkin' bout?

Everybody knows the 6.5G has long range ballistics superior to the tired old 308 Wench.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
DLA is the same clown who says Glocks are garbage and Keltecs are the only way to roll, along with classics like if you are not shooting full power loads in your .44 magnum all the time, you are not a real man and should buy a smaller gun. Mid range loads are for women. All true gems. crazy

Some people open their mouths and remove all doubt.

Bill Alexander brought 6.5 G rifles out to a group of us in the 2000s, in hopes of securing a potential contract from our organization. They were pretty easy to make hits at rather extended distances with. Ballistics wise it is a pretty impressive cartridge from a standard AR platform. I would not want to be anywhere within 750 yards or so of a properly trained individual who had a 6.5 G, knew his dope, and I was an adversary.

It probably is a crap cartridge in the hands of DLA though.

In the hands of a capable shooter, I would have no issue taking shots on average deer out to 350-375 provided the environmental factors were favorable.

Mark LaRue took a bull elk at 405 yards with a 6.5 Grendel shooting a 120 grain Barnes TSX.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Industr...eat-American-Safari-/219-164444/?page=1.

Last edited by skeen; 11/23/19.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
No first-hand here with the 6.5 Grendel, but it looks like one could load the 123gr SST up to 2500-2550 fps range in a 20" barrel.

That would hold 2000 fps out to over 350 yards in local atmo.

Will the SST expand at 2000 fps?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
From the 6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbook, Volume 2
Looks like even a kid can do it.
All stunt shooters I'm sure.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Personally, I call it a good 300 yard cartridge. There are even cartridges that have inferior ballistics to the 6.5G that I call 300 yard rounds.

This doesn't mean that I wouldn't shoot a deer farther away than 300, it means I consider a 300 yard shot to be a "gimme" with the 6.5G.

Some of you guys would schitt if you got transported back to 1900 and were limited to those cartridges.

Politics is War by Other Means
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by NVhntr
From the 6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbook, Volume 2
Looks like even a kid can do it.
All stunt shooters I'm sure.

That's pretty cool. NVhntr, did those images come from the Nevada hunting synopsis? The one with the yote looks like northern Nevada where I grew up.... I miss shooting long range there... Oddly enough, one of my club members was shooting his SPR chambered in 6.5 grendel yesterday, while I was also testing out my new Tikka and shooting my 6WOA while I let the barrel cool on the Tikka during load development. We got into a good discussion about the grendel and compared cartridges side by side. The grendel is shorter than my 6WOA and slower, but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work inside 300 yards with the right bullet. I kind of got a chuckle out of this older gentleman when he said he was trying to burn up all of his "chitty" 123gr. A-max bullets. He said, "they found the tips are burning off past 1000 yards". I asked him if he knew how many animals have died to the A-max bullet. He said, "no, I thought they were garbage". I told him not to sweat using the A-max for anything out of that grendel, as it should work exceptionally well at the ranges you should be shooting game animals out to." I really liked how he had his rifle set up. However, It didn't shoot nearly as good as my WOA, but that was to be expected... I have nothing against the grendel, but do see advantages to using the 6mm over it for most applications. If I'm going to be using a 6.5 in the AR platform, i'll pull out my creedmoor.... Just how I roll, no offense to the grendel shooters here...
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good morning BSA. The images above came out of the 6.5 Grendel Reloading book, vol. 2 which is focused on hunting loads.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
D
dla Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Good morning BSA. The images above came out of the 6.5 Grendel Reloading book, vol. 2 which is focused on hunting loads.

Any idea how long each animal took to expire? Range? Animals shot to tagged ratio?

No?

Then you don't know shlt about how the cartridge performs.

When the bullet drops below 2000-2200fps, it is going to pencil through like a target arrow. It might expand, but it isnt a huge bullet to start with. Kills slowly unless shot placement is perfect.

The 6.5 Grendel is a shlt hunting cartridge much past 200 yards.

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
548 members (160user, 222Sako, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 50 invisible), 2,601 guests, and 1,151 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,735
Posts18,401,057
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.