Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by djb
I loved Leupold scopes; they were all I purchased. They are light, svelte, look good, and are crap internally. I have been working on loads for a new 350 Legend and was getting some erratic groups (2 touching 1 out) with a 3-9 VX2. Next range trip my POI moved about 3 inches right, but the wind was blowing so I figured the stubby 35 cal bullet was really getting pushed around. Next range trip, groups went totally to crap and so I swapped the scope to a Weaver K4 I had bought cheap but never mounted. Guess what, next day I had nice groups and the scope actually adjusted correctly during sight in. So besides getting some good velocity data I totally wasted 3 days of load development + gas, bullets, etc. It is TOO expensive for me to keep using their garbage.

If you don’t shoot much, or have never used a mechanically stable scope before, you probably don’t realize the issue chasing POI changes or unexplained fliers that you “pulled”. A couple inches of POI shift probably won’t cost the average hunter on game (or may not be noticed) under 100 yds. Ever wonder why “1 box a year” hunters have to check and adjust their zero ever year before hunting? What happened in that gun safe to change their zero from last year? I was on the fence but no more. This is at least the 3rd or 4th scope I have sent back to them and none were abused or on heavy kickers. Using a couple SWFA’s was a revelation. Yes, they are heavy and bulky but stable. I am officially done with Leupold variables and am keeping a close eye on a couple fixed 4X’s I still use.

BTW, that Weaver K4 is a darn nice scope. I wish I had grabbed a couple more.

Been there done that, have zero confidence in Leupold, as far as I’m concerned even at a reduced price they are garbage! After running Leupold on everything for years it was such an eye opener to shoot just about anything else and actually have my shots move the way I intend them to after making adjustments. I have wasted more time and ammo because of Leupold scopes that it makes me mad just thinking about it. And I’m no optics snob that only runs Nightforce scopes. Nikons,Burris,Zeiss,SWFA have all proved more reliable to me than Leupold.

GB1

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Friction adjustment-generations best?

I’ve sold all my Leupold scopes except one Rifleman 4-12x40mm and it’s on a very mild-recoiling rifle, a sporterized 03-A3 chambered to 6mm-250 and an older friction-adjusted FX 6x42mm w/ #4 that I got as a gift from a good friend here on the ‘fire and that’s on a heavy .50 cal ML.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
A good .222 will tell you if your scope tracks or not.

LOL
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
I bought a new Leopold this year to put on a Zastava 9.3 I was customizing. I put a 2-7 variable on it with the firedot so the scope tube is 30mm. I mounted the scope in EAW swing off mounts. Real nice set-up, but I havent used it enough to form an opinion on the scopes reliability. I went with Leopold because of my past experience with them, and what I've seen guiding.

That said, I was given a rifle as part of a tip this past season. It had a 3x9 Trijjicom with the post / triangle reticle. I dont know how it will hold up over time, but it is hands down the clearest scope I've ever owned. I generally prefer low fixed power scopes because most of my shooting is inside 200 yards. With the Trijjicon at 3 power I can see / shoot up real close and its the fastest scope I've ever used. I just wish I had, had it before I put the 30mm EAW mounts on my 9.3. It would be perfect on that rifle.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Have heard that about fixed power Leupolds, the 6x36 and 6x42. Don’t have either.

DF

The wife has a Leupold 6x42 (warne rail and rings), on her Remington LSS .300 win, with the LRD. She shoots 200 grain accubonds with it. She has been running that combo for 15+ years, and regularly kills whitetails at the far end of the hay field, 425-485 yards, with one shot. Elk and bear are not real fond of it, either.

Each year, we verify the zero, before hunting season starts. 7 years ago, I had to move the vertical 2 clicks, to get it zeroed. The only time the caps have been off the scope, since it was mounted and sighted in.

I guess it didn't hold zero either......but I don't expect much more, out of a rifle scope.

BTW, we have these scopes on at least a dozen rifles. All with warne rings, and most with warne rails. Never an issue with any of them holding zero, including 338 and 375 rums. Even after baggage handlers doing what they do, on far away hunting trips.

Leupold and warne has been the standard set up here, for a long time.

Andy3

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Ha .. I have Leupolds that I have used for 30 plus years, still going strong,,

I'm beginning to think the older ones were the ones to get. The vari-x models... The glass was not as good as the newer ones, but the internals just puke on the VX1-3 and similar models... My boss has a newer VX6 model that he raves about and it has been acting haywire. I haven't the heart to tell him his scope is puking and not his rifle... The other day at the range, we decided to go to the 100 yard target first because he wasn't hitting chidt at 400. Sure as chidt, his leupold VX6 super scope was directing them 3" to the right and high. No wonder he was a foot to the right and a foot high at 400.... This is what guys don't understand. I mean Leupold lovers don't understand. But, if you are happy with that kind of performance or only shoot 50 yards at your critter, or just plink at rocks, and "hate targets", you'll never have a problem, I guess....

I’m not mystified in the least with Leupold. I’ve killed quite a pile of them over the years. My ones that I can’t kill easily are the M8 4x, 2.5 and 6. The newer 6x36 has been very good as well. I’ve got some older 2.5x8 and 3.5x10 that have also been good once they are set.

You can’t give me a newer Leupold variable. At least nothing much above their 1.5x5’s. The rest to include the VX6’s haven’t worked as they were intended.

Semper Fi
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (10gaugeman, 240NMC, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 257_X_50, 01Foreman400, 62 invisible), 2,315 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,648
Posts18,455,427
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.