Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I'm glad you asked.

I loaded up three powders and shot 2x5 shot groups at 100 yd to see what looked promising, and what was a bust. I do this to quickly eliminate powders that are duds. The best was Re22. The 2x5 shot average is 0.895 inches. This one will be shot again and chronoed.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The next was IMR 7977. The 2x5 shot average was 1.30 inches. That's good too. This one will be shot again and chronoed.

Finally, IMR 7828. Blech. 2.12 inches. I won't bother with this one anymore.

The action was smooth, like butter. The OAL was 3.190 inches, which put the bullets approx. 0.020 inches off yer lands. I have to play with some others. IMR 4955, H4831. N150, N165 and N560. I wasn't interrupted until I was almost done. The weather kept everyone away until the air warmed up after 12 noon. It was blustery, and no one can stop the wind.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Looks promising! You didn't state what the rifle was or the bullets used. Whatcha got?

The lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part!
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Good shooting,Steve. I have Had good success with IMR4831 and the 140 grain pills. Good velocity, good accuracy. Other powders that have performed well in my 6.5 Swede are H414, RL19, and IMR4350. Nothing new or fancy, but then, I'm old and plain myself. grin

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by DubThomas
Looks promising! You didn't state what the rifle was or the bullets used. Whatcha got?

I did miss this, didn't I? It is a 1943 Husqvarna m38 Swedish Mauser sporter with a 3-9 Burris FFII scope. The bullet is a 140 gr. Hornady SST.

Keith, I will try the other three powders that I have on hand (IMR 4955, H4831 and N160). There are only two other cartridges I have that need these slow burners - a 30-06 and a 243. I might bypass the Vihtavuori powders and try Ramshot Magnum. Re 22 is hinting that it will work just fine, but I am always curious about others.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Steve:

I have a Tikka in 6.5x55 and if I am shooting 140s, Reloder 22 was what I found to be the best. If I was shooting 130s or less, Reloder 19 was the best. My last 100 yard 3 shot group could be covered with a nickel (full disclosure... I was using a lead sled). I was shooting 130 grain Sierra Game Changer. The 130 grain Sierra Game Changer is such an accurate bullet in my 6.5 that I have used it all this year during hunting season. Naturally, since I wanted to see how it worked on deer, I have so far been skunked.

Last edited by Moby1; 11/23/19.

Patrick

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die,
I want to go where they went."
Will Rogers

And on the 8th day, God created the Border Collie.
IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

I've always liked the Swede..........especially a Tikka.......

SIL has this one now......still have a heavy target gun.........

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Nice shooting and very nice rifle!!! My tikka swede is one fine shooter as well and one i wont part with!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Originally Posted by DubThomas

I did miss this, didn't I? It is a 1943 Husqvarna m38 Swedish Mauser sporter with a 3-9 Burris FFII scope. The bullet is a 140 gr. Hornady SST.

Keith, I will try the other three powders that I have on hand (IMR 4955, H4831 and N160). There are only two other cartridges I have that need these slow burners - a 30-06 and a 243. I might bypass the Vihtavuori powders and try Ramshot Magnum. Re 22 is hinting that it will work just fine, but I am always curious about others.

This is a beautiful and desirable rifle,,it would cover all the bases here in Alaska,with brown bear being the exception.

I tend to use more than enough gun
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Fantastic looking rifle. Almost looks like a Vapen Depoten or Stiga sporting rifle conversion by the stock. I love those older Swedish sporting rifles in 6.5x55. Please keep us posted on your load development progress. My favorite caliber by far. I shoot a lot of the 156 grain bullets with great success in mine. Good luck to you.

EWR Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Nice looking rifle OP!

"My German Shepherd is my best friend,but he could be your worst enemy"
IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Thanks for the great comments, everybody.

Originally Posted by Moby1
Steve:

I have a Tikka in 6.5x55 and if I am shooting 140s, Reloder 22 was what I found to be the best. If I was shooting 130s or less, Reloder 19 was the best. My last 100 yard 3 shot group could be covered with a nickel (full disclosure... I was using a lead sled). I was shooting 130 grain Sierra Game Changer. The 130 grain Sierra Game Changer is such an accurate bullet in my 6.5 that I have used it all this year during hunting season. Naturally, since I wanted to see how it worked on deer, I have so far been skunked.

I think Re 22 is going to be the powder for the SSTs. I still have some others to try, but there's not much point in re-inventing the wheel.

Originally Posted by tikkanut
I've always liked the Swede..........especially a Tikka.......

SIL has this one now......still have a heavy target gun.

I should have bought an HB 6.5x55 years ago. I did own the precursor to the T3, a 595 or 695 Tikka, but I never got to use it much. I ending up trading it away. frown

Originally Posted by marktheshark
Nice shooting and very nice rifle!!! My tikka swede is one fine shooter as well and one i wont part with!

Originally Posted by waterrat
This is a beautiful and desirable rifle,,it would cover all the bases here in Alaska,with brown bear being the exception.

Thanks guys. This was one of those finds that didn't fully reveal itself until I got it home. You always take a gamble buying used, but for whatever reason, this one appealed to me more than the others. I looked through quite a few before deciding on this one. The low price was a bonus, and possibility what kept others from grabbing it. "What's wrong with it?" In USD, it cost me $190, with a VG+ bore.

Originally Posted by sixfive
Fantastic looking rifle. Almost looks like a Vapen Depoten or Stiga sporting rifle conversion by the stock. I love those older Swedish sporting rifles in 6.5x55. Please keep us posted on your load development progress. My favorite caliber by far. I shoot a lot of the 156 grain bullets with great success in mine. Good luck to you.

I thought it looked like a professional rebuild. I asked in the Mauser section about the stock, but it is difficult to know for sure. I could not find any markings on it, so I am assuming it was a store purchase. Whoever rebuilt this rifle did a great job.

Going forward, I will try two other bullet weights - 120s and 156s. I like to compare flat base bullets to boat tails of the same weight, regardless of the cartridge.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (Akhutr, Berksbowman, batch, BB3, 10gaugemag, 14 invisible), 1,541 guests, and 844 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,208
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.