Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Simply, I've a Ruger 77 Hawkeye 338 RCM with a factory original walnut stock.
I'd like to run another stock.

What are your suggestions and my options.?

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
BP-B6

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I bought a laminate from Ruger for a MK II.

If you are looking for a synthetic, I can offer no advice, except perhaps, again look for a factory stock, either boat paddle or the newer full form synthetic. Sometimes factory take offs are available.

It is my understanding that the stocks interchange between the Mk II and the Hawkeye.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Boyds

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
If you’re trying to stay on the cheaper end, the Hawkeye synthetics are pretty nice for a factory stock,

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

What budget range are you looking at?

On the low end, Ruger Hawkeye take offs, as TxHunter80 suggested, are one of the better injection molded stocks.

On the higher end, I would be looking at a McMillan Ruger Classic.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Ed
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you sell the walnut I would be interested

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have always used Hogues on my Rugers. They take recoil to nothing, and they have always shot sub-moa.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Not a lot of options. McMillan doesn't make the Edge for Rugers. If it had to be aftermarket then a standard weight McMillan. If not the factory synthetic is one of the better options. And would be my personal pick.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

I find it quite interesting that so many suggest the Ruger Tupperware.

Some have asked me about a price ceiling. I'm aware of the cost of the McMillan's and would gladly pay it for an Edge fill stock... if they made it.

Am I assuming correctly that McMillan's compact is lighter than a Ruger laminate.?

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
IC B3

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by 358wsm
Am I assuming correctly that McMillan's compact is lighter than a Ruger laminate.?

Almost anything will be lighter than a Ruger laminate.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Legendary Arms Works makes one, pretty much a Bansner I believe. Bansner is re-tooling for his, but doesn't appear to be including Rugers right now.

The factory synthetics are tough and cheap if you're just looking to spare your walnut in the field.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I find it quite interesting that so many suggest the Ruger Tupperware.

It is no surprise to me as I was going to suggest it myself - and still do.

'Tupperware' is pretty much a pejorative term when used in conjunction with rifle stocks. In contrast to many synthetic stocks, the Hawkeye synthetics are quite nice. a McMillan? No.

I have three different Ruger Synthetic stocks and like them all. My .338WM wears a skeletonized 'boat paddle' stock with a Limbsaver recoil pad. The thing is fairly lightweight and shoots very well. My .280 Rem has the newer synthetic stock and I may purchase another for a different rifle. Like it a lot, too, and it also shoots very well. The last is my Ruger Scout, where I replaced the laminate factory stock with the factory synthetic Scout stock as soon as Ruger offered them for sale. MUCH nicer, And yeah, it shoots well, too.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Legendary Arms Works makes one, pretty much a Bansner I believe. Bansner is re-tooling for his, but doesn't appear to be including Rugers right now.

The factory synthetics are tough and cheap if you're just looking to spare your walnut in the field.

Unless they have added to their offerings lately, LAW/Bansner only produces long action Ruger stocks.

No personal experience, but if looking for lightweight, I believe Brown Precision makes a short action Ruger stocks.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I love the Hogue stocks on my Rugers. The grip is amazing and the recoil pad is like an angel pillow. I make sure the barrels float, and they shoot great for me.

Attached Images
338_left.jpg (21.06 KB, 193 downloads)
20191119_184023-818x213.jpg (38.83 KB, 196 downloads)
358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Thanks everyone, lots of options and great suggestions, some I'd not considered.

Sure would be nice to be able to handle them all for a bit and compare.

I'd like to explore this a bit more and start with Brown after the Holiday and see if they would do a Pounder for my rig. And that factory option on the cheap might get another look, especially if I can inlet a Skeleton to my action.

I'm not sure how the Ruger Compact Magnum Rifle's action dims differ from the other SA Hawkeyes, if at all.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Thanks everyone, lots of options and great suggestions, some I'd not considered.

Sure would be nice to be able to handle them all for a bit and compare.

I'd like to explore this a bit more and start with Brown after the Holiday and see if they would do a Pounder for my rig. And that factory option on the cheap might get another look, especially if I can inlet a Skeleton to my action.

I'm not sure how the Ruger Compact Magnum Rifle's action dims differ from the other SA Hawkeyes, if at all.

Skeleton? You mean the Ruger Boat Paddle? MkII stocks fit Hawkeyes.

358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Yes, the Ruger "Zytel/Boat Paddle/ Skeleton" handle..

What I dont know is if the exterior dimensions of the rifles built for the RCM cartridges differs from those built for the common .473" head size SA cartridges..

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Yes, the Ruger "Zytel/Boat Paddle/ Skeleton" handle..

What I dont know is if the exterior dimensions of the rifles built for the RCM cartridges differs from those built for the common .473" head size SA cartridges..

No sir, the external dimensions are identical. The only one that's different is the M77 MkII Express Magnum that was built for 375 H&H, 416 Rigby, and 458 Lott.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A McM Ruger Hunter would and has been my choice.

I have a trio of stainless Hawkeyes in 223, 6.5CM, and 338FED set up that way.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
692 members (12344mag, 160user, 12308300, 16Racing, 1234, 163bc, 69 invisible), 2,686 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,620
Posts18,398,530
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.