You hunted the “King”. Well done!!!!

laissez les bons temps rouler
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jerryv
Originally Posted by pointer
Originally Posted by Jerryv
Got back from ND yesterday. The last couple days were better than the first two even with the cold and wind. Harvest is way behind compared to the typical year mostly because of all the rain and mud. Some of the beans were coming off on Tuesday, but it looked like none of the sunflowers or corn had been touched. There were even a few fields of wheat still standing. Hopefully I will be able to get back out towards the end of December for a late season hunt once it is all in the bins and the water is frozen.

Jerry
Mind if I ask what part of the state you hunted? I'm heading towards the SW corner in a bit over a week.

I was in the SW. Things may be a little better for you since the ground was starting to freeze and the combines rolling again. Section line roads are very rough from people driving in the mud and then drying out or freezing.

Jerry
Thanks for the info and I hope you are right! Excited about putting some wild birds in front of my dog.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Went out on our annual Nevada Chukar trip last week.
Slightly above average hunting. Birds were easy to locate due to the dry conditions. Came home with sore legs, a sore dog and enough Chukar. Already missing the wide open mountains and the silence they bring.

"The Ballpark burgers were free, why not eat them?"
- Wabi-
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Have to tell the bad with the good. Took Merlot Turkey hunting today, the good being he flushed two. The bad being I missed.

Saw 19 Deer, 3 Bucks most would shoot, and 2 small spikes.

Better than good afternoon. With one exception. 😀

Addition: The Bucks got it made. The Does are following them.

Last edited by battue; 11/06/19.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So far I have hunted and harvested Sage Grouse, Sharptail, Pheasant, Quail, Chukar and Huns. The Ruffed Grouse woods still had to many leaves to see them zooming around when I was there.

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Work, home/cabin upkeep, finances, family, and weather have played a negative role in my hunting this year. Hopefully, things change somewhat for next.

Upland hunting has been mixed, never found any sharptails (though they are few and scattered in the area) and the woodcock disappeared after the snow and cooler temps a couple weeks ago. For whatever reason, I've seen only a handful of woodcock since Oct 21. A buddy only 20 miles away was finding them up to season's close last weekend.

Ruffed grouse has been a bright spot, where a typical walk would find 3 grouse, the same walk has one contacting double that number and a couple of times tripling it. That is surprising considering the amount of rain we got. Timing must have been right and the rain began after the hatch and the chicks dumped their down for real feathers.

Pheasants will be more in play in a couple of weeks once the firearms deer season ends. The crops are being harvested now, soy beans are a month to 6 weeks late and corn has just begun. The great point is it's been cold and the swamps are freezing quickly. That will allow me to get into areas with too deep of water to walk much earlier than normal. I have a handful of roosters in the freezer already but pheasants do not really begin until late November for me.

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
Grouse or Partridge hunting is in full swing here in Maine. Grouse numbers appear to be down from last year though, through the month of October I harvested 22 birds and saw around 40. Limit is generous with 4 a day allowed and possession limit of 8 birds. So, you have to have a steady diet of grouse breasts throughout the month. Ain't a bad thing.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by vferguson3006
Grouse or Partridge hunting is in full swing here in Maine. Grouse numbers appear to be down from last year though, through the month of October I harvested 22 birds and saw around 40. Limit is generous with 4 a day allowed and possession limit of 8 birds. So, you have to have a steady diet of grouse breasts throughout the month. Ain't a bad thing.

Jealous here!

Cook up the backs and legs/thighs, too. It's worth the little extra work cleaning them. wink

It looks like there was a good hatch. There are plenty of young birds in that harvest.

Rates a Two-Cool for sure.

cool cool

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DonFischer
Bird hunting in Central Oregon seem's all done. second year i a row I haven't seen one wild bird. Great looking cover around but no birds! Made a number of trip's for Ruff Grouse but closest place is 100 miles, and no grouse. I was going to put in my own chukar's this year and didn't get around to it, will next year for sure! Friend in Burn's is finding some birds but not a lot. Wildlife biologist over there and no great report's coming in. I can't remember the last time I saw a wild chukar. Saw a covey of Huns a few weeks ago but private property no one can get on.

I know the pen I have will hold 50 chukar and might build another to hold another 50. Looked into buying them and only found 15 up in Vancouver Washington for $10 ea. Add the trip cost added is just to much just to much. Preserves have them, min $20 each min 10 birds, wish I could afford that, I'd give up wild bird hunting! Looks like the closest I'll get to wild birds again this year is feral pigeons I raised over the years from wild bird's. Do get the dog's out to run but get's old not being able to find wild birds.

Use to be, Clarno, on the John Day River, was super for pheasant, quail and Huns. Then about 27 yrs ago the Oregonian newspaper did an article on it and called it the best kept secret in Ore. It was but not anymore. Every body in the stat showed up to get their share! Even the dove's have marked it off their places to visit trips! Saw one pheasant down there about 5 yrs ago and a couple quail but haven't seen a thing since. I suspect the best bird hunting left in Oregon is in Idaho! Very frustrating here for hunting anything. Deer and elk and antelope are a fairly rare sight here anymore also.

Small mouth fishing still fair at Clarno but the best fishing is Crappie at Prineville Res, 75 mi one way! Wish I was younger and had less junk, think I'd move!

Funny. My Brother that lives in Idaho spends more days killing Chukar in Oregon than anywhere else...and kill them he does...

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Haven't got out nearly enough. No quail in a favorite spot on the Carson river this morning but a little cottontail didn't let me come home empty handed.

Molon Labe
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by nemotheangler
Bird hunting in Central Oregon seem's all done. second year i a row I haven't seen one wild bird. Great looking cover around but no birds! Made a number of trip's for Ruff Grouse but closest place is 100 miles, and no grouse. I was going to put in my own chukar's this year and didn't get around to it, will next year for sure! Friend in Burn's is finding some birds but not a lot. Wildlife biologist over there and no great report's coming in. I can't remember the last time I saw a wild chukar. Saw a covey of Huns a few weeks ago but private property no one can get on.

I know the pen I have will hold 50 chukar and might build another to hold another 50. Looked into buying them and only found 15 up in Vancouver Washington for $10 ea. Add the trip cost added is just to much just to much. Preserves have them, min $20 each min 10 birds, wish I could afford that, I'd give up wild bird hunting! Looks like the closest I'll get to wild birds again this year is feral pigeons I raised over the years from wild bird's. Do get the dog's out to run but get's old not being able to find wild birds.

Use to be, Clarno, on the John Day River, was super for pheasant, quail and Huns. Then about 27 yrs ago the Oregonian newspaper did an article on it and called it the best kept secret in Ore. It was but not anymore. Every body in the stat showed up to get their share! Even the dove's have marked it off their places to visit trips! Saw one pheasant down there about 5 yrs ago and a couple quail but haven't seen a thing since. I suspect the best bird hunting left in Oregon is in Idaho! Very frustrating here for hunting anything. Deer and elk and antelope are a fairly rare sight here anymore also.

Small mouth fishing still fair at Clarno but the best fishing is Crappie at Prineville Res, 75 mi one way! Wish I was younger and had less junk, think I'd move!

Funny. My Brother that lives in Idaho spends more days killing Chukar in Oregon than anywhere else...and kill them he does...

Near Jordan Valley?

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Originally Posted by nemotheangler

Near Jordan Valley?

You betcha...!

Molon Labe
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Will be heading out for pheasants in about 45 minutes, one can't hunt them here until after 9:00 AM. Heard 9 different roosters last Thursday while sitting on a deer stand and heard one just a few minutes ago when I put the dogs out. Having some hope of bagging a couple birds by 11:00 at the latest. Then, it's off to pick up my deer from the processor - dropped off three on Friday and all but the sausage is done.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nearly always get some grouse during the elk hunt. This year I even brought the dogs and my drilling but no grouse.

My heeler does not yet understand the difference between a hen pheasant and a rooster. She put up 4 hens at various times last week. Each time that I did not shoot she gave me a crestfallen look. I believe she regards me as being somewhat retarded for not getting any shot off.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Sandhill Crane hunt Dec 15. Looking quite forward to it.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Sandhill Crane hunt Dec 15. Looking quite forward to it.

That sounds awesome...

Molon Labe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Still slow for us in Nebraska. Temps hit 60 again yesterday. Finding a few birds but working hard for them.
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 30338
Still slow for us in Nebraska. Temps hit 60 again yesterday. Finding a few birds but working hard for them.
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Nice----Congrats!!!!

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
I went out Saturday for my second "true" hunt of the year (the others have been from home or the cabin) but was tough going as the area I was hunting still had a lot of corn still up. I saw only two roosters which were a couple hundred yards ahead of us. The high points were my young setter did point a couple of hens which has been an issue with him and my Australian Shepard/Pitbull mix put things together and flushed three hens. If we could have hunted the late afternoon we probably could have put some roosters up as they left the corn to roost.

I was out this morning with a friend who had access to a property that just had the corn harvested. There wasn't much cover but there was some. A small swale gave up a rooster to my buddy over my old setter. The dog was put up and the mix came out to work some strip cover. Three roosters were flushed of which two were bagged. The one was a cripple which the mix tracked down. He thinks my wife is a 10 in like ability, I am a 12 now.

I got home and took the younger dog out back as he hadn't had a chance to run. He slammed into a point and a rooster popped up. I was able to make the shot but the retrieve was problematic as the bird landed in an overgrown drainage ditch and broke through the ice. He finally got a whiff and found the bird. It was a good day, hopefully the snow coming in will not be too wet.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
With the leaves mostly down but the snow not quite here (coming soon), thought I'd go out for a weekend grouse hunt last Saturday. Been wanting to try my Midland 20ga backpacker and luckily I was able to get into a few grouse. I've had my 410 out the last couple times and so when the first bird flushed I didn't let it get out far enough and I pretty much hammered it. Thankfully I had a spreader shot load in the chamber, otherwise it would have been inedible. A little bit later I flushed another one up and this time let it get a bit further out before shooting and that one was much less peppered. Saw another bird after that but it snuck away into some thick brush and I never could find it. But 2 is pretty successful for a dogless hunter and I count myself lucky when I get even 1! All in all the little Midland is a great shotgun for the money. Very lightweight, packs nicely into a daypack, points super quick, and although the trigger is a bit heavier than I'd like it isn't bad, and when a bird flushes I don't even notice the pull. Attached a pic of the gun and birds plus a couple of the terrain.

[Linked Image from backyardlivingsource.com]

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

715 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 66 invisible), 3,091 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,485
Posts18,451,922
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.