Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
NVhntr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Just picked up a pellet smoker on a pre Black Friday sale. I'm going to try a turkey for the upcoming feast.
How do you like to do yours?

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
GB1

X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
Get the bird in a brine NOW!!!!!!!!Lot of recipes and how to's on the net..........trust your meat thermometer, relax and enjoy. It is a really easy cook with either hickory or pecan pellets. aAso you need to season the smoker at least once before doing the real deal

How can I tell you bye if you wont leave?
NVhntr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I assembled the smoker today and ran it for a half hour per the instructions to burn off the new.
Do you wet or dry brine?

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I wet brine, ease the skin open over the breast and down along the legs to allow the brine in. I use a ton of dried herbs, several bay leaves, choppped onion, garlic cloves, and brown sugar salt to make it hypertonic. I only brine for a couple hours and let the bird dry before putting in the smoker. I keep the heat down for the first couple hours ((140-150). If I am doing a big bunch like usual I finish them in the oven at very low heat. A few years back I did 16 at once and all were huge.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
Go to smokingtex.com and spend a couple of hours reading their forums...........you will not be disappointed they know how to smoke everything.

How can I tell you bye if you wont leave?
IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Which smoker did you buy

NVhntr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Camp Chef DLX. Sportsman's Warehouse had them $100 off for $399.
Camp Chef DLX

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Nice looking machine.

I see that hickory was mentioned.

Keep in mind that I am a rank amateur.......but I dont like hickory. On anything.

I have some post oak and pecan and cherry I like.

I reckon that I would use post oak or cherry on a turkey.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Nice looking machine.

Keep in mind that I am a rank amateur.......but I dont like hickory. On anything.

I’m with you Big Jim. I hate hickory. Must be a regional thing.
Give me mesquite or oak.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
NVhntr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Nice looking machine.

I was thinking the Hickory might be a little strong/sharp for a turkey Jim.
I got some cherry I will try and see how that turns out.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Fruit wood for poultry! Others are far too strong/bitter, especially hickory and mesquite. I use apple exclusively, but peach or plum are fine. Or alder.

Use a natural bird, not an injected "Butterball". I sometimes brine and sometimes not. Brined ones are a bit juicier, but can also be salty. Always let the bird dry at room temp until the skin is slightly shiny before smoking. That's essential for smoke penetration. Rub it with olive oil immediately before smoking.

I soak a handful of applewood chips plus three or four baseball-sized chunks overnight. I have a propane smoker with a water bath. I put all the wood in at the start and bring the temp up to 225-250°. There will be smoke for about an hour - plenty. I allow 20-30 minutes per pound of turkey, and leave the cavity empty so the bird cooks evenly inside and out. I do not open the smoked until 2/3 of the way to my estimated time, and then use a digital thermometer to check the meat. When it passes about 140° I check it every few minutes because the temp shoots up at that point. At 160° I turn off the gas and leave the bird in the closed smoker for 15 to 45 more minutes (depending on outside air temp) to let the internal meat temp "coast" up to 165°. Result:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Done so both ways, but I prefer spatchcock, smoke 4 hours, crank er up til she hits temperature

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use this or a close variant every year and it always turns out great.

Link to Weber turkey brine recipe

NVhntr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the responses guys, good info.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by xtriangle
Get the bird in a brine NOW!!!!!!!!Lot of recipes and how to's on the net..........trust your meat thermometer, relax and enjoy. It is a really easy cook with either hickory or pecan pellets. aAso you need to season the smoker at least once before doing the real deal

If this is for Thursday, don't brine it until Wed morning. If you soak it too long it goes from brining to curing.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Yup. Unless you buy a fresh bird, anything from the supermarket is going to have some degree of saltwater injected into it, so brining really isn't necessary. And can make it too salty, too. Read the label and if it says it is treated, skip the brining.

Thaw completely, dry until the pellicle forms (shiny skin) and then lightly rub with olive oil. That's it.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

NVhntr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Rocky, I'd be more than happy if I can produce a bird that looks close to the one you posted above.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Yup. Unless you buy a fresh bird, anything from the supermarket is going to have some degree of saltwater injected into it, so brining really isn't necessary. And can make it too salty, too. Read the label and if it says it is treated, skip the brining.

Thaw completely, dry until the pellicle forms (shiny skin) and then lightly rub with olive oil. That's it.

I'm not sure I totally agree with this, as I've been brining frozen/cheap birds for 10+ years and it makes a huge difference. That being said, some brine recipes call for a couple cups of salt or more, which I think is too much. The recipe I posted doesn't go overboard on the salt and turns out great every time.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I do a very simple brine for a deep fried turkey. Cup of kosher salt, half cup light brown sugar and brine the turkey overnight. I think some people tend to overthink it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like to keep temp at 225F or so. Use oak or apple wood. I do stuffing separate. Naturally you are looking for 165f on the thermometer in the breast. It will be amazing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 1Longbow, 11point, 49 invisible), 2,595 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,361
Posts18,468,985
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.