Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 15 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Well, this thread happens to be about SWFA's....

I fail to see what your point is. Everyone has been discussing the merits of one brand over another. That’s what I’m trying to decide on as well.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just ordered three more of the 6x MQ. I keep going back to that model.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by screaminweasil

As far as scopes go, the LRTS is nice, but for me the SWFA 3-9 HD is 8 ounces lighter, has a better reticle, I could care less about a zero stop as 5 Mils per rev is more than enough elevation for a hunting 243, so I'm not bound to "get lost" in the turret......

While I agree they are both great scopes, a 8 ounce heavier 3-12 LRHS/LRTS would be well above any weight difference in any samples I've personally used or seen. Usually more like 4 ounces, 5 max.

The ret and ZS is definitely personal preference. I like all the ret options- MQ/G2H/G3- and will hunt any of them. And while I can get by without one, a ZS is a big plus to me.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
27.4 ounces with sunshade and throw lever............

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

SWFA weighs 19

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have you tried weighing without the sunshade and throw lever? So it's setup more like the SS 3-9?

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Wrongside
Have you tried weighing without the sunshade and throw lever? So it's setup more like the SS 3-9?

If the SS had a sunshade, I'd run it too. I like them as they help keep the dust off the objective lense.

Out of curiousity sake, I just weighed the sunshade at 1 ounce

[img]https://i.imgur.com/FRP0UPa.jpg?1[/img]

Throw lever is probably 1 ounce...or less.

So, were close to what you've experienced in weight difference.

In all reality, I don't care about 6 to 8 extra ounces.

However, on a Fieldcraft it's an added bonus of losing weight. And in my opinion, gaining performance in the optic for hunting. I really think the Milquad in the 3-9 from 4x to 9x is better than the G3 Bushnell in the LRTS at any power for "big game" hunting. Just a preference I see..........losing a few ounces on the top and in my eyes, not losing any performance is a good thing.

Both great scopes. I have an LRTS 3-12 on a Kimber Montana .223 that I've been having fun shooting rocks out to 900 yards with this past fall.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S

Good call here, by the way. I wasn't thinking of sunshade/throw lever when I originally commented losing 8 ounces. Not exactly a fair comparision there.

I like to keep it real, so thanks for that heads up.

Like I said, both are excellent scopes. I agree, zero stop certainly isn't a bad thing as well. I have no issue with the added features the LRTS has over the SWFA. I'm just surprised at how much I like the SWFA HD and how great it is optically. I didn't expect what I got with it.

H*LL of a deal at $449

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Good call here, by the way. I wasn't thinking of sunshade/throw lever when I originally commented losing 8 ounces. Not exactly a fair comparision there.

Like I said, both are excellent scopes. I agree, zero stop certainly isn't a bad thing as well. I have no issue with the added features the LRTS has over the SWFA. I'm just surprised at how much I like the SWFA HD and how great it is optically. I didn't expect what I got with it.

H*LL of a deal at $449

Gotta respect that. 'Keeping it real' is all too rare these days. Especially on the Innanet! wink

I agree with most of the comments you'd made, the weight thing just jumped out at me a little is all. I've thought about it a little more since my earlier posts- almost all of my experience with the 3-12 Bushys is with the LRHS line. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the LRTS- with its larger windage knob and maybe mag ring- is a few ounces heavier than the LRHS, even with the sunshade, etc removed. So somewhere in the middle of the ranges we were both saying.

As you mentioned tho, an ounce or two hardly matters with scopes like these. Any of them are a great choice, and fantastic value. The SWFA SS line is pretty hard to beat, especially for what they sell them for. I really like the MQ, prefer it over the G3 for a hunting rifle, but like the G2H more than either of them in a FFP hunting scope. However, with the LRHS discontinued, my next rifle will very likely have a SS 3-9 on top.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S

H*LL of a deal at $449

Gotta respect that. 'Keeping it real' is all too rare these days. Especially on the Innanet! wink

I agree with most of the comments you'd made, the weight thing just jumped out at me a little is all. I've thought about it a little more since my earlier posts- almost all of my experience with the 3-12 Bushys is with the LRHS line. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the LRTS- with its larger windage knob and maybe mag ring- is a few ounces heavier than the LRHS, even with the sunshade, etc removed. So somewhere in the middle of the ranges we were both saying.

As you mentioned tho, an ounce or two hardly matters with scopes like these. Any of them are a great choice, and fantastic value. The SWFA SS line is pretty hard to beat, especially for what they sell them for. I really like the MQ, prefer it over the G3 for a hunting rifle, but like the G2H more than either of them in a FFP hunting scope. However, with the LRHS discontinued, my next rifle will very likely have a SS 3-9 on top.

10-4.....
It's nice to have a few scopes that actually can be trusted to work everytime with hard use. I'm pretty easy on my gear, but nice to know it's up for abuse.
Shot the fieldcraft 243 tonight with some fed blue box 100gr and the SWFA 3-9x on top. Now that its mounted on a rifle, rather than a tripod, I like the scope even more.
Fieldcraft is a keeper too.....

Not bad for only having two boxes shells through it so far. 1/2 MOA with factory loads when I can keep it from "bucking" too much. I've not gotten a group over MOA yet. Great rifle here.

Last edited by screaminweasil; 12/09/19.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
You guys make a lovely couple.... grin

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
You guys make a lovely couple.... grin

"Thanks Bro"..........haha

And, hey, did you see I finally tried a SWFA 3-9 HD.....................Why didn't you tell me how good they were?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Cheers! Hey, those 3-9s are great. Congrats.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S

Thanks man, beats a Konus.

Did you score any blackfriday optical goodies?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

No. I bought a flashlight and a shirt!
Did you do a low light side by side yet, SWFA 3-9 and LRTS?

--- Kid Rock 2022

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S

Havent... I wanna have them on the tripod for that and my first SWFA was mounted on the 243 Fieldcraft last night.
My 2nd SWFA is suppose to he here tomorrow.......the other two late this week or Sat.

But, I'll have a chance tomorrow to throw a 3-9 HD on the tripod if it shows up as scheduled to compare with an LRTS.
I have 3 LRTS, but one is new in sealed box, the other is on a Montana 223 and I've got one floating around, unmounted.
Tomorrow I'll do a low light comparison
I'll try and remember to remove the LRTS sunshade so it's a more fair comparison as well.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
And nothing wrong with a flashlight and T shirt......your wallets fatter than mine currently, I went off the "deepend"

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Looking forward to your comparison...

--- Kid Rock 2022

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

How about a review of that fleshlight when you get a chance

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I ordered (backordered) one of the 3-9X42 HDs for my SPR AR. I took the 3-15X42 SFP Super-Chicken off of it and put it on my Ruger Hawkeye. I then put the Nightforce 3-10X42 Forceplex SHV on my Howa Lightweight, which put my VX-3i 2.5-8X38 CDS out of a job....for now.

I have one Leupold (a 2-10X42 VX-5HD CDS) on a rifle that I'd shoot at something more than 200 yards away, I feel pretty good about that scope, but another SHV is in the back of my mind.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And nothing wrong with a flashlight and T shirt......your wallets fatter than mine currently, I went off the "deepend"

That's why I'm waiting for a 3-9X42 HD......(grin)

Page 12 of 15 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

645 members (12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 62 invisible), 2,354 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,621
Posts18,455,093
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.