Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
The larger screws 8-40 also involves machining the plates holes and enlarging the countersink I'm thinking?
Going to try a bottom tap and see if can get anywhere with that first. I'm up at the farm in cape Breton doing some grouse hunting this weekend. Will get back to my shop on Monday where my tools are and give it a go.
There was just a pack of coywolfs going off at dusk as I was heading back out of the woods so close the sound was so intense like a curtain of sound. They must of killed something.
I thought to myself my Cooey single shot .410 wasn't cutting it at that moment and a semi seemed like the thing to be carrying.
I'm drinking a beer now.

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes, you would have to enlarge the countersunk hole sin the scope base. Another option would be to use Brownell's "oversized" 6-48 screws and tap: https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...versize-6-48-screw-shop-kit-prod795.aspx

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Originally Posted by z1r
Yes, you would have to enlarge the countersunk hole sin the scope base. Another option would be to use Brownell's "oversized" 6-48 screws and tap: https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...versize-6-48-screw-shop-kit-prod795.aspx

Great solution.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks for the help.
Some good news stopped at a small gunsmith/retailer named Woodwise outfitters in Blockhouse Nova Scotia. He had some 6-48 screws that had the correct tapered shoulder to set down below the countersink of the original plates.
I had to trim them to length and they all tighten down nicely for me even the front one had a good purchase. I used some threadlock to keep them there.
So just have to sight in my scope now.

Thanks and regards.

Attached Images
image.jpeg (26.34 KB, 508 downloads)
Last edited by thornett; 10/28/19.
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Got my JcHiggins50 rifle all together trimmed the buttstock for it wasn't flat and fitted a Sims recoil pad which I also made a white line spacer for to mimic the factory butt plate detail.
Sanded off their limbsaver logo on the recoil pad for just wasn't doing it for me.
Some penetrating oil really helps with the finish sanding of the rubber.
The original scope and rings mounted up too. Here's a link to some photos.
[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/tKP6D8t1KzMJiHm76[/img]

IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
That looks really nice. Makes me want to find another original one. The one I have now has been coated, rests in a hogue stock with aluminum pillar block and A timney. It shoots lights out and is fast handling with a 1.25-4x 30mm Leupold. The 3 different ones I had were all outstanding shooters.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Yes it's a beauty.
Been at the local range Chester/Grant and sighted in both scopes.
The Weaver k3 60b with the post reticle find hard to be really accurate with at 100 yards. I did get 4 in the 2 inch square and the last shot was a bulls eye so I said that was sighted in.
The JC Higgins rifleman senior 2.5x has standard crosshairs which seems a lot easier to find/sight the center of the target after finding the paper at 25 yards went out to 100 yards and got 3 in the 2 inch square. Ran out of time for only had a 1/2 hour time slot for its whitetail and small game season here so the public range is somewhat busy.
I'm heading up to our farm in cape Breton on Friday to try for a buck and do some grouse and hare hunting. So far I'm 0 for 2 but I'm sure getting a appreciation for all the beautiful land that the farm sits on as I walk through the various habitats that it contains.

Attached Images
image.jpeg (21.65 KB, 387 downloads)
Last edited by thornett; 11/07/19.
V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
Just picked up a JC Higgins model 51 in 30-06 to go along with the model 50 I already have. It is a great looking gun that appears to have been used very little. Just ordered a Timney trigger for the 51 and some 2-pc scope mounts. The rifle came with a 1-pc Redfield type base but I do not like the windage adjustable rear and I like having the better access to the chamber offered by the 2-pc bases.

Note, I thought all JC Higgins 50/51 rifles had the .860" or so rear scope base but I was wrong. My new to me model 51 has the standard FN rear spacing of .504". I think I was told some had the .504" spacing years ago but I assumed whomever told me that was mistaken, but the mistake was obviously mine.

Last edited by VaHunter; 11/07/19.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
The one I posted had the wider spacing, had been drilled and tapped for the std spacing. Prev owner had found steel Weaver type bases with the wider spacing and that’s what it’s wearing.

DF

V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
The one I posted had the wider spacing, had been drilled and tapped for the std spacing. Prev owner had found steel Weaver type bases with the wider spacing and that’s what it’s wearing.

DF

Yep, the Model 50 that I have was drilled by "bubba" for the standard base, so it has the third hole, in between the two factory holes. I bought the correct .860 rear Warnes for it and it hides the "bubba" hole.

I am glad I waited to order the bases for the new to me model 51 until I had it in hand because I was sure it would use the same .860" rear that the model 50 did. Learn something every day.

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by VaHunter
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

Yep, the Model 50 that I have was drilled by "bubba" for the standard base, so it has the third hole, in between the two factory holes. I bought the correct .860 rear Warnes for it and it hides the "bubba" hole.

I am glad I waited to order the bases for the new to me model 51 until I had it in hand because I was sure it would use the same .860" rear that the model 50 did. Learn something every day.

I think the ones I have are steel Warnes. I wasn't sure because Weaver also makes steel bases.

DF

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
DirtFarmer,

Yes, your steel scope bases were made by Warne. I bought them new, directly from Warne.

https://warnescopemounts.com/product/m902831m/

Rick

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Thanks, Rick.

That would have been my guess, but wasn’t sure. Don’t know if Weaver steel Mauser bases come with the wide screw spacing like Warne.

I’m headed to the deer camp, that rifle loaded with 225 Fed Fusion bullets over 4320.

Those shouldn’t bounce off.

DF

Edited to add, some 225 loads are with H-380, some with IMR-4320. Gonna see which is better. I also have 180 Weldcore, 160 TTSX, 200 Fed Fusion, 200 Combined Technology, 200 Speer, 210 NPT, to try along with a good selection of mid burn rate powders. After hunting season, I'm going to check them out.

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 11/08/19.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I just got the latest copy of RIFLE SHOOTER Magazine and on page 8 there is a short article on the Higgins M50 telling what a great rifle it is and it's being such a great bargain etc. I wonder if that is going to make the value go up? He sure said some very nice thing about them, all of wheich we know are true.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I don't think enough people read RIFLE SHOOTER to make any real difference.

Great rifles, but it is too hard to beat the value of a modern T3 these days.

In fact, by the time I get my Model 50 30-06 completely squared away to my liking, I could have bought a new T3 and had a good bit of $$ left over. Then again, practicality is not the reason most of us buy old rifles (if we were honest).

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I agree, IMO there's more to it than just price. I like the old guns, steel and walnut, even steel guns in top end synthetic stocks..

If someone is just shopping price, this deal from Bass Pro/Cabelas is hard to beat.

Now, I DON'T want one, don't currently have any Salvages and not much into Chicom made Weavers, assuming that's where this one is made. From the price, probably a pretty sound bet.

Now, this rig will probably shoot and you can choose a number of popular chamberings.

Doesn't leave much excuse for price being the reason for not having a deer rifle...

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by PJGunner
I just got the latest copy of RIFLE SHOOTER Magazine and on page 8 there is a short article on the Higgins M50 telling what a great rifle it is and it's being such a great bargain etc. I wonder if that is going to make the value go up? He sure said some very nice thing about them, all of wheich we know are true.
Paul B.

Probably the value will go up in the short term, but after that issue gets thrown in the trash, value will go back to what it is.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
The market has been drifting away from 98 Mausers for a while now, partly because the older shooters who actually might want 'em tend to already have 'em, and younger shooters are more interested in different stuff--like the bargain in Dirtfarmer's post.

I'm one of those older shooters, but have enough Mausers to last the rest of my life. Built this one on a Model 50 purchased for $250 from my father-in-law almost 30 years ago. It was a .270 and shot well, so I restocked it myself with a pre-inletted stock made of European walnut grown in New Zealand, which as I recall cost $100 when Bishop went out of business. Eventually shot the .270 barrel out, and since I was hurting all over for a 6.5x55 after foolishly selling a very accurate factory rifle, had Charlie Sisk rebarrel it with a Lilja turned to the same contour. The safety is a Gentry 3-position, installed by Dave a few years before he passed away, and the trigger a Timney. It shoots very well with the right loads, but am not only less interested in acquiring more Mausers at this stage (though exceptions can always be made for the right one) but haven't made a stock in so long that can't remember the last time I got out the checkering tools. That said, this is one of my favorites.

[Linked Image]

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Guess I’m a senior, cause I do like that one.

DF

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
715 members (12308300, 160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 90 invisible), 2,722 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,890
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.