Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
amazon has the whole kit, very reasonable...if i was a better hunter i would get it... smirk

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by sse
amazon has the whole kit, very reasonable...if i was a better hunter i would get it... smirk

HaHa! Too funny!

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I don’t care for wild game hamburger. So everything that would usually get ground up for burger gets cubed up and pressure canned at my place.

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
You guys put anything in besides maybe a pinch of salt? I'm hoping to do some deer this weekend, have only done elk before.I just cubed it, loosely packed the jars,added pinch of salt and canned. It was good, but thought perhaps some variety would be nice.

N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Pinch of salt and pepper, and some onions sliced or cubed. My wife likes it more without the onions. It's good either way.

Honestly, pack it in there tightly.

One of my favorite ways to eat it is to dump the whole jar in a sauce pan and cook it just until the liquid is gone from the bottom. Then load it up on a sandwich with your favorite cheese and homemade pickles. Nothing short of excellent!

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Everybody makes noise about searing meat before it goes in the crockpot, before roasting, before Everything... or after the sous vide. It makes a big difference.

Pretending it does not make a difference in canning is foolish...

Or lazy...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
What is the difference,exactly? I've only had it put in raw, curious if it would be worth extra time to sear.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by xxclaro
What is the difference,exactly? I've only had it put in raw, curious if it would be worth extra time to sear.

The difference is nothing, I’ve done it both ways

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
You guys put anything in besides maybe a pinch of salt? I'm hoping to do some deer this weekend, have only done elk before.I just cubed it, loosely packed the jars,added pinch of salt and canned. It was good, but thought perhaps some variety would be nice.

Couple cloves of garlic, slices of japeleno, taco seasoning, tomato juice, sky is the limit..

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

There are three main reasons why it is done and any of the three is enough to make me always sear before canning.

1) The Maillard reaction is the name of the process by which the sugars in the meat are caramelized and the proteins are browned which increases the flavors tremendously. That is why you brown meat before braising, why you sear meat after the sous vide bath, why you seldom boil meat, why you brown sausage and ground meat before adding liquids for sauces. I pity anyone that cannot tell the difference.

2) Texture is better because the meat has an outer layer that keeps the inside of each chunk from looking, tasting, and acting like boiled meat.

3) The meat holds together better as discrete bites rather than a bunch of mush. This is more important when doing something other than the really tough cuts like hocks.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I don't do any canning, but I sure can tell the difference between seared and not seared when it's meat in the slow cooker or whatever.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mathman
I don't do any canning, but I sure can tell the difference between seared and not seared when it's meat in the slow cooker or whatever.

It is well-documented fact it makes a big difference to put extra heat on a piece of meat... and very obvious.

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
One of the best meals I've ever had, was a kind of stroganoff made with canned venison, it was baked with partially cooked noodles, water, bouillon cubes and included a Lipton soup packet.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I guess I’m wrong, according to Sitka dummy...😂😂

Ain’t easy havin pals.
D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
A quickie trick I learned to simulate the seared/browned flavor in a hurry is to added a couple tsp of molasses. It gives the darkened color and just a little bit of sweetness and depth.

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have seen brown sugar used... it does not do anything for the texture. I cannot see how molasses would?

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Guys, we're way over thinking some of this, just can it! Give it a light sear, add a bit of onion, no water & pressure it. DONE!

Dick

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Been canning venison for 20+ years.

Water bath. 3 hours of rolling boil for quart jars.

tsp salt per jar
couple cloves of garlic pressed in
1/2 an onion
jam full of stew meat sized chunks
top with water

Use a table knife to slide down in and release any air bubbles before putting on the lid and ring.

Had canned venison and gravy over rice last night. Finer snappin' is might hard to come by.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just rolling eyes and shaking my head...

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Sitka, I'm with you!

Dick

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

276 members (10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 264mag, 16penny, 300_savage, 1beaver_shooter, 36 invisible), 2,826 guests, and 1,046 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,625
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.