Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Looking for the good, the bad, and the ugly for the best value in a two stage snowblower under a grand.

I'm googled out trying to decipher what I'm finding online.

Too bad Stihl doesn't make a snowblower......

GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Get reverse.

If you hunt with your kids. You should not have to hunt for your kids.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What are your choices and prices? How much snow, what kind of snow, how often, how big an area, and where does the snow go? Are you mechanically inclined? What can you handle physically?

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a Troy Built Storm 30 inch 357cc. Great machine.

Christopher Columbus, the greatest Democrat of them all.

He left not knowing where he was going, and when he got there he did not know where he was. He returned not knowing where he had been, and did it all on someone else's money.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by grouseman
What are your choices and prices? How much snow, what kind of snow, how often, how big an area, and where does the snow go? Are you mechanically inclined? What can you handle physically?

These questions.

If on a hill or very wet/heavy snow, consider tracks.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Flat concrete driveway, 30' long, 50' wide.

Hell, I'm in Wisconsin, who knows how much.....stats say 4' average per year, could be double, triple, or quadruple that. We've already had a foot and a half in Oct.

I could blow it in the street if nobody's looking til the plow makes it's first pass. Otherwise I can go both directions, unless the wind's howling.

I rebuilt the whole topend of my Harley Fatboy in my breezeway by myself. Not wanting to want to wrench if I don't have to.

Imma tough m'erfuker til I get out of my pajamas......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have an Ariens. I'm happy with it only had to change a couple of shear pins. My advice is get at least an 8HP. Get electric start. Tire or Trac---either one is fine. If it's tires get a set of chains. Be sure to get a plastic scoop to clear all clogs in the snow shoot. Never put your hand down it to clear anything!!!!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by wyowinchester
Get reverse.

And then prepare to back yourself up into garage doors, garbage cans, walls, and that sort of thing after you back up, change the direction of the chute, and then re-engage the forward drive without remembering to shift back into forward. (I've heard people say that this can be a problem.)

Further, every snowblower that I have ever had occasion to deal with has been a real bitch about starting, then having the engine die after only a minute or so, solely because you, as the operator, neglected to turn the fuel valve open.

Last edited by 5sdad; 11/26/19.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Let's approach it from a different angle.....

Which brand(s) would you look to first? (Think Stihl)

Which brand(s) would you avoid?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Honda. Not the cheapest, but the best. Mine started on 2nd pull always. So easy I’ve never used the electric start.

As much snow as you do/can get, get the widest with the most hp you can spend.

I have an 8/24 I’ll sell you. Honda.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
What is this "Snow Blower?

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Get at least 28" wide, and 8hp. If you go wider, also get more power. I had a 10/32" for a while and it was a beast. Great at the cottage, too much in town. If you often get heavy wet snow, get more power. Electric start is great when its -20. (Oh, always use the lightest synthetic oil you can get away with). Tires and chains would be fine, no need for tracks. Reverse is nice to have but I rarely use it. Oh, and only use premium/no ethanol fuel.

Snowblowers rarely wear out, unless you're a commercial user. I've resurrected a half dozen used machines with simple repairs like carbs, belts, bearings, etc. Usually it's simple things but people couldn't be bothered. And snowblowers are simple machines, clearly they'd pose no challenge to you.

What brands do you have available?

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender
Honda. Not the cheapest, but the best. Mine started on 2nd pull always. So easy I’ve never used the electric start.
As much snow as you do/can get, get the widest with the most hp you can spend.
I have an 8/24 I’ll sell you. Honda.

I bought a new Troy Bilt lawnmower 3-4 years ago, and went up in models to the 1st one with a Honda motor.

Their snowblowers are not in the mix, with the cheapest 2 stage at $2500 MSRP.

Shipping be a bish on that 8/24....... grin

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'll vouch for Ariens too mine is 10+yrs running fine.and yes get electric start

Sorry,I drank the Sako-Aid.My opinion may be biased.
bh444
aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Get at least 28" wide, and 8hp. If you go wider, also get more power. I had a 10/32" for a while and it was a beast. Great at the cottage, too much in town. If you often get heavy wet snow, get more power. Electric start is great when its -20. (Oh, always use the lightest synthetic oil you can get away with). Tires and chains would be fine, no need for tracks. Reverse is nice to have but I rarely use it. Oh, and only use premium/no ethanol fuel.

Snowblowers rarely wear out, unless you're a commercial user. I've resurrected a half dozen used machines with simple repairs like carbs, belts, bearings, etc. Usually it's simple things but people couldn't be bothered. And snowblowers are simple machines, clearly they'd pose no challenge to you.

What brands do you have available?

I was figuring on 24 or 26. Not sure I wanted the extra weight of the bigger units.
It will be kept in the garage, but options I planned on was electric start, wheels, not tracks(cost), probably not need reverse.
Most anything could be available any direction an hour away, so that had me spinning in circles. And no dealers close (relatively) to consider for repair.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Used a Simple-icity for years. Still use it. Now, more often than not, I use the skid-steer. grin

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
If you get heavy wet snow you are better off with a plow.
The blower will plug up and be useless.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Allow me to give THE best tip ever for them:

Replace those steel skids with wheels. Nothing makes maneuvering, backing up, or just regular forward movement easier than NOT trying to push steel skids across concrete!

HERE is what I buy.

My Husqvarna blower has metric spacing on the skid bolts, so I had to widen the grooves in the replacement brackets a bit. They're structural nylon, so it wasn't difficult.

One more thing: For heavy snow, spray the chute and auger with PAM or WD-40. Greatly reduces clogs.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Well I used my Honda Foreman with a manual lift plow for years. I sold it this summer and bought a new Foreman, with the intent of buying a new plow and winch for it, which will run a grand, give or take. So while I've been waiting for the holiday sales to kick in, I've been thinking a snowblower might be the better option.

I'm out of the loop on brands.....

Ariens, Cub Cadet, Toro, Troy-Bilt, Husqvarna, etc.....

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Where I live in the snow belt of MI Ariens is the most popular, I have the 28" Deluxe, elect. start, tires.
It starts just as easy with the pull chord. I've been here 40 years, this is my third Ariens, my last on is still being used by my son.
Dealer and most of my friends who have snow throwers find they run best using non-ethanol gas.

"The older I get, the better I was"
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

345 members (10gaugemag, 264mag, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 222ND, 17CalFan, 45 invisible), 2,788 guests, and 1,077 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,599
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.