Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
5' walk?

We have 5' city walk here and I think the blower is 27".

Leave a little on the edge...

But I live in a town where they could care less if you leave all the snow on the walk much less on the edge.

Now Bozeman was different, I bet those fancy fuuckers have a 99% snow removal requirement. And have it done within an hour of the last flake falling.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was looking for answers in these places last week

This is a cool site, written by a fellow Cheesehead

https://movingsnow.com/

This is where I found him

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-snow-blowers/

This is their top pick

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Toro-Sn...le-Stage-Gas-Snow-Blower-36003/206125428

I read lots more about it and watched videos on Youtube. It looks pretty nice, maybe Santa will bring it for me

Last edited by Smokey262; 11/26/19.
aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Smokey262

This is their top pick

I read lots more about it and watched videos on Youtube. It looks pretty nice, maybe Santa will bring it for me

Thanks for the links, I'll get after them tomorrow.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Smokey262

This is their top pick

My first thoughts on that top pick, plastic chute, single stage and no light?
I'd keep looking.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by JLWilson
I have a Troy Built Storm 30 inch 357cc. Great machine.

That’s 2 of us... just don’t let gas sit in the carb bowl... or you’ll get to clean the jet or bowl check valve - true of all the model and brands.

Last edited by Spotshooter; 11/26/19.
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Ariens snow blowers are what most people use in the high mountains of Utah. They are about to get there money’s worth.

aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
Originally Posted by JLWilson
I have a Troy Built Storm 30 inch 357cc. Great machine.

That’s 2 of us... just don’t let gas sit in the carb bowl... or you’ll get to clean the jet or bowl check valve - true of all the model and brands.

That's a common theme I've been finding. Don't treat them like your average lawn mower.

aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Springcove
Ariens snow blowers are what most people use in the high mountains of Utah. They are about to get there money’s worth.

I'm leaning that way. I just found a shop 10 miles away that I didn't know was an Ariens dealer, plus a hundred dollar bill cheaper than anyone else on the same model I have my eye on.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you have the land to justify the cost and possibly other implements these are a good bet.

BCS America

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I began using a snow blower as a teenager in the early '60's when my dad bought the first one in town at the shop of the guy who gave me my first job and whose yet to be born grandaughter would become my wife. It was a 6.12 horse Ariens and that sucker lasted your years. It was nothing compared to todays machines however. I would not have a problem with any of the several major brands today. Peas in a pod. My last two were a 17 horse Simplicity and a 10 horse Husqvarna. Get as much hsp as you can afford. I've spent 60 years clearing snow with snowblowers, tractors and plow trucks and a snowblower is my first choice anymore. One ironclad rule: ethanol free gas only. Period. Don't screw around with "treatments". Buy and use only ethanol-free gas.

Mathew 22: 37-39

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Borchardt
What is this "Snow Blower?
Come on up - we'll show you and (gasp) even let you take a turn or two... laugh laugh

To the OP: I think you're going to have a bit of a hard time staying under $1,000 for a good, solid new machine.. However, consider checking Craig's list in your area.. My son found a really good one from a guy who was moving south and had no further need for one.. IIRC it cost him about $150.. 28" wide, 2-stage, with wheels (not tracks) and it runs like a champ..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I got my Husqvarna from a Stihl Lawn and Garden store that has a great service department. I call it "The Beast" after my last Sears model. $795 and they delivered it.

Replaced the skids with wheels before the first use, run non-eth gas with Sta-Bil only, and spray the chute before each use with WD-40.

Over the next five days, I'll likely be using it - a LOT.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
8HP, 28" box MTD, since 1996, the year we had a 2' snowfall that closed area roads for days.

Zero replacement parts in all that time, minimal maintenance and this critter has moved some snow. Used it for a couple years to clear out major snow on two neighbors' driveways, until they bought their own snow blowers. On that note, one got a bigger Cub Cadet that cost a lot more than mine did, been back for repairs every year since.

Also do a 200 foot round trip path to the wood pile out back, plus our driveway. First ten years it also did sidewalks at customer's properties. Prefer wheeled machines, Tracks are too damn slow. We have a fancy Toro track blower (heated grips) at our gun club and a Craftsman 8HP w/tires. No one wants to use the Toro, PITA to move snow with. Whoever gets there first, grabs the Craftsman.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
A friend gave me a MTD 8hp a few years ago. He was having some issues with it and being an elderly fellow he wanted something more dependable. Not surprisingly, the carb was gummed up, he never ran it our of gas each year. So with a very small amount of work, that thing has saved my back!

aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

A little birdy told me to stay away from anything MTD........

Suggestion was Toro first, with Ariens in 2nd.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Ariens seems to be Number One. People like their Honda's and Toro's. A good local dealer makes up for some but not all of a machine's shortcomings. I don't think MTD/Poulan/CubCadet hold up over the long term but some do. Snapper/Deere used to be good but I question their build quality of late.

I have heated handlebars and also a differential on the tires so that I can scoot it around easier. They are heavy beasts, they have to be to do what they do, and the differential makes it much easier to handle.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

This one is in the lead for consideration........

https://www.ariens.com/en-us/snow-products/snow-blowers/deluxe/deluxe-24

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If Honda is too pricey go with Ariens and don't lose sleep over it. Service and parts just about everywhere if you wind up needing them.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
My Ariens is a 24" Platinum Deluxe I think they called it. With the 254cc motor. Ive never wanted for power with it, it will deposit the snow exactly where I want it within reason (putting it in North Dakota is my dream) and it weighs less and stores easier than a 30" but I do have to make more passes. Starts first pull (even this weekend when I got it out of storage and put it in the garage. First pull after 6 mos) every time. No need for chains, the tires grip just fine without them.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

625 members (160user, 12344mag, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 163bc, 06hunter59, 57 invisible), 2,520 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,633
Posts18,455,226
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.