Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks!

Apparently we're both seniors, though do have quite a few "modern" rifles I really like as well....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Mr thornette, Just throwing it out there, but my eyes are older than my two tapered post reticle scopes and I have gone to using electrical tape to make a "vee" about 6 inches tall with about 30-35 deg arms with a horizontal flat bottom on buff or light brown cardboard. The sight picture with a small band of white between the top of the tapered post and the bottom of the vee provide a very precise and repeatable sight picture. It ain't my idea, though, the US military used a vee target for a half a century at least.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
John, can I have dibs on Doc's rifle should you ever decide to sell it? Your original column on acquiring it was wonderfully written and one of my all-time favorites.

Greg Perry

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Hi Greg,

Glad you liked the article!

I do a keep a list of "dibs" names for people who want my rifles. Have even been using it some lately, as in the past year started downsizing the collection somewhat.

Will put your name as first-in-line (since you're the first to ask!) for Doc's rifle. Probably would be among the last I'd ever sell, but you never know. Nobody in my family, or Eileen's, has any interest in hunting rifles.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Nobody in my family, or Eileen's, has any interest in hunting rifles.

I'm staring in that movie too, John. I have well over 50 rifles, and they are mostly "old school": Mauser, Springfield, or M70. At least 5 are or started out as JC Higgins M50's. Great rifles. My daughters are 28 and 26 years old respectively and have yet to propose a suitable son-in-law to me, and that's a shame. Because if they can find a good outdoorsman, that guy's gonna be the luckiest SOB ever.

Cheers,
Rex

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just found one in .270 yesterday in excellent condition. $350 OTD. Never seen or handled one till then.

Wish you guy's could convince me to buy it.....................

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
z1r Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by krupp
I just found one in .270 yesterday in excellent condition. $350 OTD. Never seen or handled one till then.

Wish you guy's could convince me to buy it.....................

If you need convincing, maybe you do';t deserve it? Especially after five pages of glowing reviews!

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks for the tip on the target I'll try it out next time I'm at the range.
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Mr thornette, Just throwing it out there, but my eyes are older than my two tapered post reticle scopes and I have gone to using electrical tape to make a "vee" about 6 inches tall with about 30-35 deg arms with a horizontal flat bottom on buff or light brown cardboard. The sight picture with a small band of white between the top of the tapered post and the bottom of the vee provide a very precise and repeatable sight picture. It ain't my idea, though, the US military used a vee target for a half a century at least.

Last edited by thornett; 11/28/19.
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
My father in law sent me a photo of his rifle marked Whitworth rifle company in 30.06 from around 1975. Made in Manchester England any idea on what type of Mauser action this is?
I started a new thread on this question so as to not get of topic away from the jc higgins 50
thanks keith

Attached Images
image.jpeg (21.68 KB, 139 downloads)
Last edited by thornett; 11/28/19.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Hi Greg,

Glad you liked the article!

I do a keep a list of "dibs" names for people who want my rifles. Have even been using it some lately, as in the past year started downsizing the collection somewhat.

Will put your name as first-in-line (since you're the first to ask!) for Doc's rifle. Probably would be among the last I'd ever sell, but you never know. Nobody in my family, or Eileen's, has any interest in hunting rifles.

Awesome. I already have your Fox Sterlingworth that you featured in "Shotguns for Wingshooting." Doc's rifle would probably mean more to me than JOC's M70 #2, just because there is such a beautiful story behind it. I'd be a good steward to its legacy.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TRexF16
Nobody in my family, or Eileen's, has any interest in hunting rifles.

I'm staring in that movie too, John. I have well over 50 rifles, and they are mostly "old school": Mauser, Springfield, or M70. At least 5 are or started out as JC Higgins M50's. Great rifles. My daughters are 28 and 26 years old respectively and have yet to propose a suitable son-in-law to me, and that's a shame. Because if they can find a good outdoorsman, that guy's gonna be the luckiest SOB ever.

Cheers,
Rex

I've struck out on the son-in-laws so I appear to be worse off than Rex. I'm just glad to have nephews who are outdoorsmen and all around good guys. The transfers to nephews have started and will pick up the pace as I get to retirement in a a few years. More time to hunt and shoot means I need more ammo but not more rifles. Ward

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
641 members (01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 69 invisible), 2,773 guests, and 1,364 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,654
Posts18,399,211
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.