Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
So, who won?

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Wife slowed down after she blew out a line,ran thru an intersection and managed to stop in a hedge.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Pat85
Constant pressure to dissipate the heat from the rotor.
That...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
How about using the hand brake and save wear and tear on the front pads - save them for a special occasion.

LMAO

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Either way you are using friction to generate heat so you can bleed off your kinetic energy. Letting off the gas a bit earlier saves brakes.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dale06
Trust me, the cost is not an issue. Wife and I are fighting over which is right.

Let her think she's right.
You'll be happier for it.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The official theory for trucks going down hill is steady pressure.
But, you are dealing with having accelaeration between pumps,
So it's not an apples to apples. And people disagree on this,
But there is always a kook who knows better than the testing.

Just remembered, there is a brake testing place not far from here.
Tandem trucks, loaded with weights go down the mountains
testing different brake setups. I should ask one of those guys.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Brake pads=a case of beer. Find something more productive to ponder.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Friction-heat-wear worth a ponder if you've ever been plagued with brake fade. Do they still have that? Ive become sensible.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The engineering answer is that the earlier you start applying brake pressure, the longer the pads have to dissipate heat, the lower the peak temperature on the pads. The higher the brake pad pressure, the higher the break pad wear. The higher the brake pad temperature, the faster the wear (my assumption).

So a long, steady slow brake application is best of the brakes.

For the trivially inclined, in trucking, with automatic slack (brake) adjusters, good drivers get in trouble because auto slacks only adjust during near full pressure brake applications, and careful guys end up with brakes out of adjustment.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
The wear may be negligible but coasting is free and saves gas. Does she know how to double clutch and shift down?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Change the point of the debate. The way to less wear on the brakes is to use less throttle. Saves gas too. I've never understood the rush to wait on a red light or the slower vehicles ahead.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I had a discussion with a friend that happens to be in the auto parts industry on a similar issue.

I asked him why the brake pads always wore out on one particular vehicle[wifes] so quickly.
He chuckled and confirmed that it also happens on his wifes car too.

He went on and said to watch-they'll reach 25-35 mph across a 100' long parking lot before having to stop at the street and this happens over and over and.......

FJB & FJT
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Morewood
Originally Posted by dale06
Trust me, the cost is not an issue. Wife and I are fighting over which is right.

My wife is on the gas up until the last possible moment to hit the brakes. I ask her, "you ever heard of coasting?"

Doesn't go over well.

Yeah, she's just wrong.

Whenever I see an ad for a car that says "Lady driven", I know exactly what it means.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ever watched a truck that had failed to shift down far enough on a steep hill when the brakes get hot? They have those runaway truck ramps for a reason.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I thank The Good Lord for the antilock brakes. On a valentines day a few years ago a truck pulled out right in front of me.
I could have nearly touched it when I was stopped.

Dry road braking is something to think about when buying tires.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Those trucks are scary. I70 here is steep and long. Several times i have seen and smelled trucks running away, at least they all made it when. I was a witness
For you locals, i take clear creek canyon when east bound, just too many hot doggers any more
Those antilocks are fine until i get in the snow, then they hust growl and wont let me pile snow in front

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
More confirmation.....

My wife's cars have always needed brake replacement in far fewer miles than mine. The kids took on her habits when they started driving, probably because they spent more time riding with her than with me. I pointed out the problems involved to both of them, and my son learned, but my daughter, not so much.

Years ago, before four-wheel disc brakes were common, I was riding while my wife was driving a winding mountain road (long trip), when I started smelling hot brakes. Didn't surprise me when she complained that the brakes weren't working good. No, she wasn't deliberately playing race car driver. She'd just been applying her normal stop-light to stop-light technique on all those curves.....gas-brake-gas-brake-gas. No coasting. I had to explain to her what the problem was . I think she's not different than the majority of female drivers in that respect......and probably a larger percentage of men than we'd like to admit.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kennyd
Those trucks are scary. I70 here is steep and long. Several times i have seen and smelled trucks running away, at least they all made it when. I was a witness
For you locals, i take clear creek canyon when east bound, just too many hot doggers any more
Those antilocks are fine until i get in the snow, then they hust growl and wont let me pile snow in front

If you think piling snow in front of your tires helps you stop faster and maintain control, you are exactly the kind of person who needs anti-lock brakes.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If all you hating haters would stop hating the Earth, birds and 54 year old lesbians you would be in your Subarus braking carefully and moderately and would feel it when the computer, which is Buddhist, ordered the alternator to increase it's charging rate to do the regenerative braking thing. Peace.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

169 members (338Rules, 35, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 19 invisible), 1,345 guests, and 856 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,176
Posts18,465,466
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.