GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Take 2, That's All.

SAF / GOA / NRA Life Member - Endowment - Patron

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ar'gcnoc. - Gaelic for "Our Hillside"

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ours is Camp Opa. Which stand for the two states our original members, the Olde Guarde, were from-Ohio and Pennsylvania. Other notable names for camps in our area-Camp Bozo. These guys had the camp across from us. Good men. Sadly all are gone now. Camp Misery-a camp up on top of our mountain-if you were hunting up in that area, you could always go in there for a cup of coffee-just close the door when you leave. The Plastered Bastards-hard drinkers and even harder hunters. Bear's Den. A little shack up on top of the hill that figured out how to hunt 10 guys out of a shack the size of a glorified walk in closet. The Flying Dutchmen-seems like every mountain in Pennsylvania's got a Flying Dutchmen camp on it. There used to be one up on top of our mountain that always brought in a few "working ladies" for deer season. It was called Camp Crotch Rot,

Last edited by gophergunner; 01/19/20.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
We just call it going to the deer lease.

Naming must be a tradition thats not around here.

In Alaska we name the camps so we know what location we are going to. Boss says take your hunter to high lake or sheep camp etc....

Other than that no name works just fine.

Of course I'm not at all preaching. Just never seen the need to name boats, or vehicles or guns or camps etc..... had a few vehicle names and gun names and decided it was mostly silly. That was when we were young.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
our deer camp up north was named by a good friend > honeymooner

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Not mine, but one where I am invited to hunt some

Whipper will

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Mine is the Beartown Hill-ton.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
The Farm.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by rost495
We just call it going to the deer lease.

Naming must be a tradition thats not around here.

In Alaska we name the camps so we know what location we are going to. Boss says take your hunter to high lake or sheep camp etc....

Though NJ is a freaking far cry from AK, we do the same.

The Farm

The Scout Camp

The Airport

SplitRock

... and so farth.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
IC B3

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
The camp

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

My favorite AZ deer camp is called "Death Valley"

"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." Ten Bears
NRA Benefactor LIfe Member
USCG Veteran
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E

[Linked Image]

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Our place is alternatively “upstate” or “bear haven.” Started as a deer camp and morphed into our retirement home in another 8 years or so. We use it nearly every weekend and for most of vacation. I’m feeding a wood stove and surfing the web at fiber optic speeds as I type...:). Far cry from a beat up 5th wheel that had no insulation....

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Depends on which camp. And what one means by "camp".

I may do my local moose hunting a little differently than you midget chasers. Different circumstances also. NWR, so camps can only be for the duration of the season, with no permanent structures or vehicular use except main road. We set up camps 1-5 miles "back in".

There is (- - - - ) Lake, Black Hole, Sniper's Point, Middle Lake, Third Lake, and some others. Nothing imaginative, just location, location, location.

Only one, on which we have two (North, South) is named on maps, the rest are our own creations for lakes or locations not named. These camps generally are just a poly tarp cover for our ground beds and gear, with another tarp for a ground sheet. In any particular season, we may have a half dozen up, so we can easily shift/access hunting areas every few days with as little disturbance as possible - basically just back packing in and out our sleeping (sometimes left for a few days) and hunting gear and food (bear country).

We more often than not do not both occupy the same camp, but adjacent ones a quarter to half mile apart, unless we will be calling.

It is nice to have a dry place to sleep and cook already up when we get there (but you know that!). The weather isn't often very cold, but is often a bit dampish... We (my partner and I) don't do fancy meals, each taking care of our own, nor do we drink and BS. Well, we don't drink anyway..... And nights up here are too damned short as it is during moose season to stay up long BS-ing.

My wife and I, if all goes as planned, will be caribou hunting out of a camp we call "the pick-up camper" next fall, and moose hunting from our remote cabin "The Cabin", tho we will likely spend a few nights up or down the river at other locations and staying over night or nights in "The Tent".

Last edited by las; 02/21/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Camp No Wood - home of the one pointer.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
......... Ogahalla

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
GEEZER RIDGE for moose
CRANE CORNER for Sandhill cranes
DOWN NORTH for lake trout camp.
DENTAYBOW for whitetails.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Neighbor's camp name is WifeAtHome

CWT Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Swamp Root

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store; not a government agency.
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

620 members (160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 1234, 68 invisible), 2,312 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,096
Posts18,464,125
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.