Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by donsm70
I recently purchased a Remington 700 Classic in 7mm-08 with some Kampfeld upgrades that shoots 150 gr Nosler Partitions very well. I really like the rifle, the weight, the mild recoil and the way it shoots.
Here is my dilema. I have a wilderness horseback elk hunt (probably my last) scheduled for the fall of 2020 in Wyoming. I also have rifles in 6.5 CM, 7x57, 280ai, 30-06 and 300WM that I like and are very accurate. I have a self imposed shot limit of 300 yards. I am not a turret twister. My last two hunts there have produced 6x6 bulls at 160 and 27 yards.
Is the 700 in 7-08 up to the task?
donsm70

You lost me at 700 Don.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Brad
I'm struggling to understand how this is even a question...

Rhetorical

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy

I think you meant niece....

That's a dickhead comment

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I'll add my "yes" to the pile. A few weeks ago a cow elk met a 139 gr GMX projectile going about 2900 fps out of my Remington 700 7-08 (stock other than a McM hunter stock). It wasn't the biggest elk around, but it was decent sized and it took about 1 step before going down.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm throwing in with those who say the 7mm08 with the 150gr NP will be fine. But I'll like to add something unrelated to bullet and cartridge headstamp. A good rifle for a horseback hunt has some special requirements. It should be on the short side and not overly heavy. And, if scoped, the scope should be small too. All this is important because the scoped rifle must fit under your leg in a scabbard. So, for me, the rifle itself is more important than the headstamp. But, maybe you already know this.

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
super T,

Excellent points.

Have actually seen the objective bells of longer scopes bent slightly, but noticeably, after riding around for a while....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Almost 20 years ago now, we started hunting elk with 300's and 338's just "because they were tough and the mountains were big".
Well, right now no one shoots a 300 of any kind. Its all 30-06's, .270 Win., and .308's. Go figure - what worked in the midwest on whitetail deer, worked on elk in WY. CO, and NM..

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

I betcha 10 dollars to a donut that those 150 gr Partitions from a 7 aught 8 won't bounce off any elk!!

"Pride is the only disease that makes everyone sick except the one that has it"
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I put 1000+ miles on a Browning A bolt SS stalker in 7 Mag with 26" barrel plus a brake, mules and horses, leupold 4x12 A.O.

First, I hate a rifle under my leg, I want to feel the animal and give him cues with the calf of my leg...he is used to this. So, I tied the Rifle scabbord to D rings on the right front side of the palma, rifle went down toward the stirrups, straight up and down. I had taps on my stirrups. Rifle was easy to get out of the scabbard while sitting in the saddle, while difficult/impossible pulling it out from the rear when the rifle is under your leg.

When hunting off a mule or horse, you get a lot closer to game if members in the group are not talking, and your tack does not "clank". During Summer months, we have rode right in the middle of elk herds and not disturb them.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The observations and experience of someone with a 1000+ miles on horseback hunts can't be ignored, but I must ask, were these hunts in North America? I ask because I have never hunted with a cowboy/guide/outfitter who would allow a paying hunter to pull a rifle as you described out of a scabbard while still mounted.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Highoctane

I betcha 10 dollars to a donut that those 150 gr Partitions from a 7 aught 8 won't bounce off any elk!!

I'll second your bet. When I had a 7mm08 (just sold it on GB a couple weeks ago) I settled on the 150gr. partition as a "do all" bullet. I actually bought a few (maybe 5) bags of seconds from shooters pro shop and will likely sell those for a good deal to someone. I don't see how you could go wrong with that combo. I've been thinking about buying another 7mm08, but a Tikka superlite when I find a good deal on one. I may just hang on to my partitions until the right superlite comes along.....

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've always wanted a 7mm-08 but owning 280s, 280 AIs, 7mags of various flavors, it just didnt seem like enough gun for elk. I've been shooting a 308 for 4-5 years now and have come to the conclusion that a properly constructed and placed bullet kills everything I hunt, regardless of caliber or cartridge.

I've waxed and waned several times in recent years on the 7mm-08.

I think a SA Rem 700 Mtn Rifle, punched to 284 win with a Wyatts mag box shooting 150/160 Partitions or lighter TTSX would be a 1 rifle masterpiece. Likely also dropped into a McM Mtn Rifle Edge stock with a NF SHV 2-10 on top. Likely weigh right at or slightly under 7lbs. Hmmm.......

Or just leave it 7mm-08......

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Here is my dilema. I have a wilderness horseback elk hunt (probably my last) scheduled for the fall of 2020 in Wyoming. I also have rifles in 6.5 CM, 7x57, 280ai, 30-06 and 300WM that I like and are very accurate. I have a self imposed shot limit of 300 yards. I am not a turret twister. My last two hunts there have produced 6x6 bulls at 160 and 27 yards.

I don't understand the dilemma I guess. Yes, it is up to the task, but you have at least 1 equal choice (7x57) and 3 even better choices. I can understand if you only owned the 7mm-08 ... I'd say go for it. I can understand if you just really really really want to kill an elk with the 7mm-08. But lacking those two, which you seem to, it seems foolish not to reach for one of your even better options instead.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I’ve killed elk with the Mighty -08 and watched others do the same. Never felt under gunned. It’s about bullets and placement anyway.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I recently purchased a Remington 700 Classic in 7mm-08 with some Kampfeld upgrades that shoots 150 gr Nosler Partitions very well. I really like the rifle, the weight, the mild recoil and the way it shoots.
donsm70

You say you have a 300 win, that is accurate, and you like. Run a premium bullet out of it, the closer to 200 grains, the better.

Last year I also hunted a guided/wilderness elk hunt in Wyoming, as a retirement gift to myself. We hunted at timberline, and above. My bull died at 11,800 feet in elevation, the nearest tree was well below us. Possible shots could have covered the spectrum, in distance.

Big/mature bulls can take a beating. In my experience they are much tougher to kill quickly than raghorns and cows. The bull that I killed in Wyoming, took three 200 grain accubonds, out of a 300 win, into his shoulder at 435 yards, on the ridge top. He was a big bodied 7x7, that had a 50"+ outside spread.....his reaction to each shot was close to nothing. He just stood there, and took all three.....then turned around and went ass over end, down a granite chute, coming to rest about 200 yards below. He chocked up on a single basketball size rock on a small level spot. Otherwise, it was another 500 yards to the bottom.

His cape was ruined, his skull fractured in multiple places......several of his molars were broke in half, vertically. Luckily, the meat and horns were in good shape. If I had to do it over again, after the first 2 shots, I would of tried to break his neck, and anchor him up on top. The quartering of that bull had a pretty good risk factor......think bighorn sheep country.

My math for NOT using a lesser cartridge/bullet is:

mature/tough animals
wild and open country
expensive wilderness hunt
traveling from Pennsylvania
already owning a more capable rifle that is proven
hunting in grizzly country (that's another discussion, in itself)

No doubt which rifle to take.

FWIW, I usually use fixed powered scopes and etched reticles. But on this hunt, at the suggestion of the outfitter, I took a long range 300 win with a NXS nightforce on it. It's the only scope I 100% trust, when spinning turrets. The scabbard I took was the trail max by outfitter supply. After a 14 mile horseback ride in, the actual hunt, and 14 miles back out....the rifle remained sighted dead on.

The guide had my day pack and rifle on top of a pack mule, that he led, while we were hunting. After the bull was down, my pack and scabbard went on my horse, and the first load of meat went out on the mule. It worked really well, especially in grizzly country.....getting that first load of meat out.

Anyhow, that's what worked on this hunt. As they say, "your mileage may vary".

Andy3

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Andy makes more sense than all I have read here..

Molon Labe
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Andy makes more sense than all I have read here..

Maybe because he’s BTDT.

Like they say in theological circles, revelation vs speculation.

DF

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Maybe, but the 7mm-08 never seemed impressive.. I have used mine on coyotes pigs, whitetails and antelope.. Can't say I know anyone that has one in this country... I am sure there are but never see them or talk to 'em .. I have only found a very few pieces of brass at the local range..

Molon Labe
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
As much as I like my 7-08, if I was going elk hunting, I’d probably take my 7RM, 160 gr NAB’s over 67.5 gr RL-26 at 3K fps. Not that the 7-08 wouldn’t do the job, maybe just as well, I have a lot of confidence in that 7RM load, know what it will do.

DF

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I would agree with you completely!!

Molon Labe
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 06hunter59, 49 invisible), 2,383 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,242
Posts18,466,827
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.