Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
My good friend uses nothing but a Browning BLR 308 and 150 Corlokts. He has killed some nice bulls out around 350yds, but mostly he kills smaller/younger bulls & cows up on the ridges in mixed timber and under 200yds. I like more "oomph" in an elk round but there are many who use the 7mm08 and do well. Big bull hunts though, that cost a lot of money? Its marginal.

BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
Its marginal.

How do you know this?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Andy makes more sense than all I have read here..

Maybe because he’s BTDT.

Like they say in theological circles, revelation vs speculation.

DF

BTDT. One bull. Seriously?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
With big bulls and expensive hunts, I want all the margin I can pull together.

DF

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

DF

I don't necessarily object to your opinion, I'd just like to know on what experience that opinion was formed.

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Brad

DF

I don't necessarily object to your opinion, I'd just like to know on what experience that opinion was formed.

And be warned, Brad has killed big mature bulls with a 7mm-08.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
My guide buddy in Alaska has had his teenage son and wife use a 7-08 quite a bit. The son shot a black bear and two caribou. The wife has taken a caribou and cow moose. Its funny when the lower 48ers show up with magnum 300's on up. The need for confidence comes in many cartridges.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A

DF

Hello Brad. Here's a brief history of my elk hunting experience. I'm 58 years old and have been hunting bull and cow elk since 1982, when I moved to New Mexico from North Carolina, at age 21. I am a self taught elk hunter, and the first couple elk hunts came up with no tags punched, but it was a learning process that I wasn't going to give up on.

I was hunting 4th season rifle tags (because the odds were much better than 1st rifle tags, so I could hunt every year). I learned to hunt bedded bulls, in black timber, on north facing slopes....on small benches. The first 4 bulls I killed were between 16 and 32 yards......with a 375 H&H. Still my favorite black timber elk rifle.

I killed quite a few elk in NM, but mostly rag horns and a few cows, because I was young and hungry (literally), working construction. I always killed the first legal animal I saw. But, I learned to kill high pressured elk.

Some years later, I heard that Idaho had OTC rifle tags, that opened September 15th, for 2 months! I sold out, and moved to Boise without any leads on work or a place to live. I did this so I could hunt elk every year, if I didn't draw. NM was 100% draw OR buying land owner tags....not an option for a blue collar guy.

I killed a 5x5 that first year in Idaho, on Sept 16th 1995. After that, I was lucky enough to draw some very good bull tags, so I could finally start holding out for larger bulls....and I did. My favorite Idaho draw hunt lasted 16 days, and I shot the 47th branched antlered bull that was in rifle range. I turned down more 6x6 bulls, on that hunt, more than I had seen in my entire elk hunting career!

It's been that way, every year since. And yes, I killed a 6x6 this year, with a muzzleloader on an either sex hunt....had a slim chance at the biggest bull of my life, but he made it to private land, 200 yards ahead of me.

The Wyoming hunt was something I always wanted to do, hunting the wilderness area, on the east side of Yellowstone, near Cody. I had max points and wanted one of the best hunts in the state. Being in the wilderness area, and me being a non resident, I hired the best outfitter I could find. And he made it everything I could ask for in a guided hunt, with me killing the biggest bull of my life. My first guided elk hunt was the perfect retirement present to myself.....and I don't see me doing it again. Perfect.

So Brad, this is what I base my elk hunting opinions on. At nearly 59, I'm still learning, as I tend to hunt different units each year. I know there are better elk hunters than me and more dedicated ones too......a couple are my best friends. But, I take pride in hunting alone, figuring out new country, and getting elk killed. I've been pretty successful doing it.

Andy3

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Not like shooting your elk in the back pasture....

Molon Labe
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Andy, great story. I love my 280 but in that situation would also use my 7RM. In a hunt of a lifetime I believe what is better is best. I really enjoyed your rendition of the hunt. Enjoyable! Yes, a 7-08 would do but in the end it is what is best in a worst case situation, not what works in a lesser situation.

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Being comfortable with a round and a rig is a big leg up, IMO.

Go with what works for you, what you have confidence in.

That’s what I do and will continue to do.

It’s opinions.

DF

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Andy, thanks for answering, though my question was directed to Dirtfarmer.

You are obviously an actual elk hunter. Same age as me. Similar bio, except I don't travel beyond Montana to hunt since were are quite blessed with good wilderness here around Yellowstone to hunt elk. My hunting is also all solo on public wilderness, both dayhikes and multiday backpack hunts. Depending.

Since you've answered, I see you mention the 375 H&H... what other cartridges have you taken elk with besides it and the 300? What was the outcome?

Happy Thanksgiving.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Brad, I apologize about fielding the question meant for Dirtfarmer.

Off the top of my head, I can recall killing elk with: 8mm Rem, 375 H&H, 300 win, 338 win, 54 cal muzzleloader. And one cow, many years ago, with a .270. All elk shot at, ended up dead, without any cripples or lost game....."knock on wood". Some, with the 300 have taken more than one shot, as I keep shooting until they hit the ground. I can't remember any elk staying on its feet when hit with the bigger bore cartridges. A couple with the 54 stayed upright after the shot, but where down by the time I got it reloaded.....one cow took 2 shots, with it. I don't recall any of the first shots, that weren't fatal....but elk are tough, and crippled elk seldom head for your rig, to die! wink

It's a pretty even split, I would guess, between the 300 win and 375 H&H, for total count. The 300 gets the nod when hunting more open country, where I can pick my shot, usually draw hunts. The 375 is used when expected ranges are less than 300 yards.....usually OTC hunts, in the thicker stuff.....where I CAN'T pick my shots.

But, if I had to pick one......I have a stainless Ruger 338 win, with iron sights, and a 2.5x8 leupold with B&C reticle with QR rings, shooting 225 grain accubonds. The iron sights are set for 300 grain woodleighs, 1" high at 50 yards. That gun pretty much covers everything in North America, and perhaps the world.....I just hope my 375 doesn't hear that!

I once read that, "a 338 kills elk, like an 06 kills deer". I find that hard to argue with.

Have a great turkey day!

Andy3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Thanks Andy and Brad for a interesting exchange. Enjoyed reading it.

I’ve used a 300 mag with good results. My latest project is a 98 Mauser 338-06. That one would be an interesting elk rifle. I’ve read here on the Fire, with good authority, that it’s the boolit not the headstamp....

Use what works.

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
I’ve killed elk with the Mighty -08 and watched others do the same. Never felt under gunned. It’s about bullets and placement anyway.

P

Sure pharm, you know its all about the rifle. Tikka or nothing baby!!!! whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
More bulls without a Tikka than with...

But not since 2013.

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I’ve killed elk with the Mighty -08 and watched others do the same. Never felt under gunned. It’s about bullets and placement anyway.

P

Sure pharm, you know its all about the rifle. Tikka or nothing baby!!!! whistle

He has some impressive groups and dead critter photos.

And don’t forget to mention Big Game powder. Good stuff in the 7-08.

DF

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
[quote=Jim_Knight] Its marginal.

How do you know this?

You know you are right! I do not have first hand knowledge of any failure with this combo, so I am not qualified to naysay it! Please forgive me guys. I myself have killed a 450-500 pound Scimitar Horned Oryx ( spike elk sized) at 184yds ( base of neck, pass through) with a 6mm 85 XBT going 2900 at muzzle! ( used a 222 Magnum necked up to 6mm, had a recent neck fusion). I also killed two axis deer same hunt. A 90lb doe and at least a 150 pound ( or more) buck. That
opinion" of a 7mm08 was hypocritical of me! . frown

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 11/30/19.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not to muddy the waters, but my grandson killed the largest cow elk any of us has seen with a 7mm-08 shooting a 120-grain Nosler Ballistic Tip. One shot at 309 yards, got both lungs and the bullet exited.

Last edited by mudhen; 11/30/19.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Andy3

Off the top of my head, I can recall killing elk with: 8mm Rem, 375 H&H, 300 win, 338 win, 54 cal muzzleloader. And one cow, many years ago, with a .270.
It's a pretty even split, I would guess, between the 300 win and 375 H&H, for total count.

Thanks for the response Andy. It does, however, bring to mind an old saying; "experience can be long but narrow."

You obviously favor large armament, and have not veered from that philosophy. Of course there's nothing in the world wrong with that. A big gun is never a bad thing, as long as you can shoot it (you obviously can). However, the term "confirmation bias" does come to mind. Hmmm...

I've used the 338 WM and 300 on big bulls. I've used the 270, 7-08, 30-06, and 308 on big bulls. They all died, but lighter rifles are far more enjoyable to pack for my hunting style (mostly backpack hunts), and lighter recoiling cartridges are more fun to shoot in light rifles. Obviously if a horse is carrying your rifle, within reason it really doesn't matter what it weighs. However, I prefer rifles around 6.75 lbs "all up" (scoped, w/ sling and rounds). For me, the 338's and 300's really should weigh in the 7.75lb range, and really, a bit more weight is better (it goes without saying "balance" is more important than sheer weight or lack of it).

I'd also suggest you really don't know what a 7-08 with a 150 gr bullet is capable of unless you've killed more than a few elk with it and similar rounds. Cartridges are truly more alike than different. Punch the lungs and elk die quickly like any other deer. Hit them at the margins, they'll run all day no matter the cartridge. And despite what gunwriters say (and which everyone seemingly repeats), I've never found big bulls die much different than any other average sized elk. Blasphemy I know...

At the end of the day, we only have ourselves to please. But I can truthfully report there has never been a bull I've taken, including old mountain animals in the 6.5-11.5 yo range, that needed anything more than a good bullet from a 7-08.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
397 members (1lesfox, 300jimmy, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 40 invisible), 2,081 guests, and 919 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,594
Posts18,398,021
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.