Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Port Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Having trouble with my RAR, well, technically the magazines.

I get FTF's if I don't put just the right amount of pressure on the bottom of the magazine as I cycle the bolt.

I know this was an issue with the RAR when it first came out - but I though Ruger had straightened the problem out by now. Is anyone else having this problem?

As an aside, is Ruger ever going to build the RAR with a hinged floorplate, or is there a way to economically change it over to a hinged floorplate?

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
GB1

D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Funny you ask. I just picked up an American Predator that has the AR style magazine. The stock has a detachable 'insert' where the action screws go through. It is obvious that Ruger can then just change the stock insert when building to accept the rotary or AR mags. I emailed them twice as I wanted to convert from the AR mag to a rotary. Upon my second request I was told they weren't offer the stock insert to change magazine styles. I don't think the existing stock design would function with a hinged floorplate arrangement.

For an economy gun the Ruger American is pretty darn good but the magazine arrangement and feed kind of sux. When shooting the American with my Tikka's I kept double checking the chamber thinking the Tikka was empty since it feeds sooooo smooth.

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Just got our son an American Go Wild. The A.I. style mag feeds just fine with his 7mm-08.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I'd not buy a RAR unless it's with the AI magazine. Rimfires withstanding

'If you say the parent you were most afraid when you were a kid was your dad, you grew up in the city.'
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I’m having trouble getting my AI mags to seat without opening the bolt.

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
There are fans of the AI style here at the Fire. I think that’s the type Id buy if I ever bring myself to buy one.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Port
Having trouble with my RAR, well, technically the magazines.

I get FTF's if I don't put just the right amount of pressure on the bottom of the magazine as I cycle the bolt.

I know this was an issue with the RAR when it first came out - but I though Ruger had straightened the problem out by now. Is anyone else having this problem?

As an aside, is Ruger ever going to build the RAR with a hinged floorplate, or is there a way to economically change it over to a hinged floorplate?

Ruger hasn't straightened schidt out. Their quality control is abhorrent.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 450 Bushmaster mags work better with SA cartridges (except 223) and are more reliable. They stick out from the bottom of the stock maybe an inch or less. They have a normal spring and follower instead of the rotary boloney. I used them with the 22-250 I had and they worked fine.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 257heaven
The 450 Bushmaster mags work better with SA cartridges (except 223) and are more reliable. They stick out from the bottom of the stock maybe an inch or less. They have a normal spring and follower instead of the rotary boloney. I used them with the 22-250 I had and they worked fine.

This!!!!!!!

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I had trouble with 4 different magazines on two different RAR's. Life's too short to screw around with inferior/cheapass equipment so they all went down the road. They did shoot good though.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Buy the 450 BM mag and sell your rotary mag on ebay or somewhere. I sold a package of 3 rotary mags here on the classifieds.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Send the mag back to Ruger and they will replace it. I've owned and shot a bunch of those rifles, over a dozen with multiple magazines for each. I had to send one back years ago and I have one now that needs to go back. All others have fed just fine. BUT.... I have broken 2 of the rotary magazines when dropped on carpet. When loaded and they hit the floor they simply broke. I've never had a single issue with the versions with AI magazines. If you have a newish rifle converting over is easy.

And while I've not tried the 450 mag my brother has and it is a better design. But I'd still rather convert to AI magazines if possible.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I had trouble with 4 different magazines on two different RAR's. Life's too short to screw around with inferior/cheapass equipment so they all went down the road. They did shoot good though.

No offense meant, but if you wanted a Ruger with 1st class quality, why not get a Hawkeye or a RPR ? You did, afterall, buy a "budget" rifle.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How old is it? Is this the magazine you have? https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1021370181

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
only issue i've had with the rar mags is my 260 rem was extremely tight to get the 4th round in and when you did you had to almost hit the bolt handle with your palm to get it to go forward. ruger promptly sent me a replacement that will hold 4 and is easy to chamber round 1-4. ruger is usually good cs. granted the best cs is that that you never use but the guy above is right in that they are classified as budget guns and as such require a lil fiddling sometimes. most are pretty accurate though which makes up alotta time to me.
Big Ed

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
How old is it? Is this the magazine you have? https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1021370181

Whttail, is that a non-rotary (for lack of a better term)? Is it flush with the bottom of the stock?

The rotary that came with my .308 has always worked fine, but I can see buying one of those.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Here is the mag on my son's Go Wild 7mm-08. I'm going to order him a 10 round too.

Attached Images
20191127_143121-287x263.jpg (18.71 KB, 192 downloads)
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael

Whttail, is that a non-rotary (for lack of a better term)? Is it flush with the bottom of the stock?

The rotary that came with my .308 has always worked fine, but I can see buying one of those.

It's center feed, stagger stack (non-rotary), and flush fit.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael

It's center feed, stagger stack (non-rotary), and flush fit.

Thank you, I'll have one of those shortly.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
C
CP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
The magazine pictured above (from Midway) was the cure for my grandkids’ failure to feed issue with their American. CP.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (204guy, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 46 invisible), 1,855 guests, and 1,058 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,182
Posts18,465,649
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.