-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I know nothing about ipads except my wife wants a new one. The one she has is five or six years old and her birthday's coming up. She doesn't use hers for work. Is the new Apple, released 2019, too new to be problem free? Are prices pretty much the same at various retailers? Any options to buy with it or let her figure that out?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Size is mainly the difference.

Pro uses the pen?

I have an older iPad Air. No problems other than battery getting weak.

Should find some deals,for Black Friday. I think Sams club has $100 off.

Apple sells refurbished iPads for reasonable prices. I wanna say all refurb get a new batter, plus needed repairs. Come with warranty.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I've got an iPad Air that's 3 years old. Pretty much bulletproof, built to last.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Get her a new one. Older refurbs may work just fine, but may have a shorter useful life because of software compatibility. Mine's six years old and is at the end of the line on system software and therefore also on new apps. Buy as much memory as you can afford. Only real question for her is about the size she prefers. Larger ones are better IMO, but she may like the handiness of the compact model. Let her pick a nice case off Amazon too to keep it nice.

It's her birthday, so don't be cheap.

What fresh Hell is this?
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My favorite device by far.

Look here: https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished/ipad

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
New iPad 10.2 at Best Buy for $250...

I got a new iPad a few months ago and coming from all Android, it's been a learning curve for sure but they are great. I get two days battery life from mine. The iPad browser sucks but you can download Chrome or Firefox and the iPad keyboard really really sucks but there are others like Swift Key and Touch Pal.

For a tablet, the iPad is hard to beat for quality and price.

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was issued an iPad at the office about 6 years ago and due to the total lack of problems that had me buying my first iPhone since the Motorola Brick...I don't see me every going back to Android.

43'.........can't help with the question but you could let her pick it out on her birthday, win win.

Dave

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
We are transitioning from laptop computers to iPads for documenting in a medical setting. I’m one of the users who are helping work the bugs out. A coworker and I were discussing iPad performance. From what she had researched she recommended the newest air or the sixth vs the seventh generation of the standard. I’d say that there are some good reviews on the net. She had researched it well to come to her decision.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks like the deals at Best Buy are hard to beat, but I'm only seeing $279 and $379 respectively for 32GB and 128GB. Unless you're buying one with mobile and a two year contract to go with it, which runs $259 + monthly mobile fees.

Personally, I run a couple big games on a 32GB sixth gen, and have no problems with storage, but I'm not holding gigs of photos or tunes either. If you want to spend the extra $100 for 128 GB, that will give you a bunch of overhead just in case though.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Go to Best Buy. They are by far the most knowledgeable and helpful place here for electronics.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Go to Best Buy. They are by far the most knowledgeable and helpful place here for electronics.

Yep. Same here. I bet they have some great Black Friday deals too.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I bought one through our cell phone provider for my wife to use at school. Also bought the pencil to go with it, the things you can do with it are amazing.

I also just bought 3 refurbished 5th generation ones for each of the kids. I’ve only used them to get their Apple ID and stuff set up and 2 of the 3 were perfect. The other one seemed to have an issue with the charging port. Contacted the seller on Friday and it’s already on its way back with the prepaid shipping label.

After I switched to I phone I don’t think we will buy anything other than apple going forward.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
If you can fight the crowds, Best Buy is a good place to go on Black Friday. Otherwise, shop online. The iPad is about as bullet proof as any product I have ever seen and the newest ones are the best so far. Go forward and buy with confidence. Your wife deserves it.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks to all for the info. Getting her the new Apple online at Best Buy Friday, appreciate the help.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 43Shooter
I know nothing about ipads except my wife wants a new one. The one she has is five or six years old and her birthday's coming up. She doesn't use hers for work. Is the new Apple, released 2019, too new to be problem free? Are prices pretty much the same at various retailers? Any options to buy with it or let her figure that out?

I purchased a new ipad pro 12.9" with wifi and 64 gb storage for my wife a few months ago and another two days ago for my daughter for Christmas/birthday...my wife is very pleased with hers.

The unit has had no problems and seems to be reliable.

Buy the apple case if she is just using it for entertainment, and the case with keypad if she is going to use it as a computer.

Last edited by JSTUART; 11/28/19.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by logcutter
New iPad 10.2 at Best Buy for $250...

I got a new iPad a few months ago and coming from all Android, it's been a learning curve for sure but they are great. I get two days battery life from mine. The iPad browser sucks but you can download Chrome or Firefox and the iPad keyboard really really sucks but there are others like Swift Key and Touch Pal.

For a tablet, the iPad is hard to beat for quality and price.

I use Edge on my old one for serious stuff like banking, Firefox or Safari for other stuff. Can't be certain because I can't actually see the cookies, but I think Edge doesn't suffer from the Super Cookie problem others have.

I also just started running a VPN from Proton. Must be working because on Breitbart the ads are in whatever foreign language they speak where my chosen server is.

What fresh Hell is this?
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

My laptop was scammed about 4 months ago due to my lack of knowledge about those things.
Anyway they took the thing over and wanted me to pay them $250 to give it back.
I told them to stick it and went to a nearby Best Buy where i had bought it and asked the Geek Squad if they could fix it.
At first they said yes they could, but a few days later they weren’t as sure.
They had the medium size Apple IPad on sale at $259, so i decided to just scrap the old laptop and get one.
So far I’m liking it very much. It’s much faster than my old unit mainly due to the Apple system.
I added an after market keyboard setup which acts as a case also. Apple has their own version of coarse which is more expensive. So it is actually a mini laptop with the keyboard attached. Or i can remove it and just use the built in keyboard.
Again mine is the mid size among the 3 units they offer, and has a 9” corner to corner screen size.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
iPads are built pretty well my original iPad Air is still. Being bounced around with my kids. The one I am typing this on I think I bought last year. Wouldn’t be without one now.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

94 members (AnthonyB, 35, 7x57Hunter, AGL4now, 160user, 41rem, 12 invisible), 968 guests, and 729 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,221
Posts18,447,502
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.