Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
All,

Any experience with this bullet to in a 243 Win or any of the 6mm cartridges? I just picked up a neat little Remington 788 from a guy I work with and am looking for a do all bullet. Have a friend that shoots a 105gr. CBB out of his 6.8SPC and he is doing his best to talk me into them as my go to bullet for deer/antelope! Have to admit they look like a great bullet.

Thanks for your replies in advance!!

Elk Country

Last edited by elkcountry; 11/27/19.

"I refuse to waste my common sense on those who have been educated beyond their intelligence"

All you need to know about Democrats is they call American citizens "Deplorables" and illegal immigrants "Dreamers"!
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sorry, never heard if them. IF you find them and like them, better stock up before they disappear from the market.

If you can't find them, or they won't shoot for you, no sweat; there are lots and lots of good 6mm bullets out there since the caliber is so popular.

Good luck.

EDIT: Those puppies look pretty long. You might want to verify with the maker that they'll shoot in your barrel, presumably a 1-9", and that the listed COAL will fit in your magazine.

Last edited by Pappy348; 11/28/19.

What fresh Hell is this?
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Pappy,

I’ve talked to the guy that makes them and he said they shoot fine in a 10 twist barrel. They are looong for sure. I’ve also talked to Barnes about their new 95gr. TTSX and they are adament about needing an 8 twist for those bullets!

Elk Country

Last edited by elkcountry; 11/28/19.

"I refuse to waste my common sense on those who have been educated beyond their intelligence"

All you need to know about Democrats is they call American citizens "Deplorables" and illegal immigrants "Dreamers"!
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
So Barnes is (I think you meant to say, damn spellcheck) adamant about needing an 8 twist for what is probably a somewhat shorter bullet, but the guy who makes them says these shoot fine in a 10 twist. Okay.

While it's an interesting concept, and they may be very good bullets, there are a few things on the website that make me go, "hmmmm." First off, the pricing. They show, "list price" and "our price." I'm sorry, but this is the manufacturer. Their price is the list price. This is out and out flim flam.

They go on and on about supposed ballistic advantages with what, to me, looks like a lot of speculation and conjecture being presented as fact. I don't claim to know everything there is to know about this stuff, but they use terms that, in sixty years of level II obsession with guns, shooting, ballistics, etc, I've never heard before.

If it were I, I'd get some and try them if I had some money to spend on $.80/each bullets. However, there are a number of proven bullets, cup and core and mono's, out there that I know would work for what you are looking for. Did you ask the guy who makes them if he'd refund your money if your 10 twist rifle puts them through a 100 yard target sideways?

Mathew 22: 37-39

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
105s probably won't shoot well in your rifle. They likely will be too long, and won't stabilize. As to the magazine, the 788 will give you lots of room to set a bullet way out there. Much more so than other factory mags. I built my custom rifle (243) on a 788 action. I am shooting 105 Berger hybrids but have a 8 twist barrel to do it. If you are looking for a good all around bullet for your 788, try Sierra's 85 grain game king, or noslers 95 grain hunting ballistic tip.( Not the varmint bullet) Both are very accurate, and perform well on deer and other critters.

IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
I’m also thinking about the 85gr Barnes TSX. Any experience/thoughts with this bullet would be helpful. I’m just a little concerned about expansion as it isn’t a tipped bullet.

Elk Country

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Ok, so a lot of guys who have never used the bullet are giving advise. I, on the other hand, have been using them for over two years in 6mm, 6.5mm, and 6.8mm.

For those that are saying they are too long to stablize in a slower twist barrel, you have to remember that they have a hollow cavity in the base of the bullet so the weight is concentrated in the center of the bullet, rather than the base. Therefore the main bearing surface of the bullet is right where the weight is concentrated, so yes, they will stabilize in a slower twist barrel.
As for the comment about the bullets on the website, I know for a fact that a lot of testing went into those bullets. The statements being made are fact, not made up. Extensive ballistic and expansion tests were done with these bullets prior to them being released to the public.

As for how they perform on game, I have killed deer with the 105 grain 6.5mm MKZ and the 105 grain and 120 grain 6.8mm MKZ bullets.

Here is a pic of inside the chest cavity of an Axis deer that was shot at just over 100 yards with the 105 grain 6.5 bullet. You can also head over to the 6.8 Forum for many more examples of kills with these bullets. Edit to add, the bullet was shot from a 6.5 Grendel. As you can see, even at lower impact velocities, you still get great expansion.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by HandgunHTR; 11/28/19.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Interesting concept. What is claimed does make some sense concerning center of mass and center of pressure. I'm wondering abut the 2.5x expansion and penetration though. I also wonder about copper fouling--no rings to reduce the amount of copper being sheared off. Might try some in my 243's.

Edit to add: After closer inspection I see the bullets do have rings............

Last edited by alpinecrick; 11/28/19.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
We just ordered a couple boxes of the CBB’s! They are having a Black Friday sale! I figure I might as well give them a try!

HandgunHTR,

Thanks for the hands on info. I’m really looking forward to giving them a try. Which 6mm cartridge did you shoot them in?

Elk Country

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by elkcountry

HandgunHTR,

Thanks for the hands on info. I’m really looking forward to giving them a try. Which 6mm cartridge did you shoot them in?

Elk Country

I shoot them in a 6X45, a 6TCU and a .243.

Alpinecrick, in the picture I posted, the entrance is on the right and the exit is on the left. If you look closely at the entrance, you can actually see where the petals started to open up just under the skin. If you look at the exit, you can see it really did expand at least 2X.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One thing I noticed is that they don't seem to think their bullets are made of gold, unlike many premiums. Pretty decent prices, actually.

Worth a shot (NPI, really!).

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
They look very interesting; I'm going to order some.

My two biggest doubts are the claim that the cavity back allows more powder to be loaded. Maybe so, but if a certain monolithic bullet weighs X amount, then the rear end is going to take up as much space no matter how its shaped, when seated to the same approximate overall length as similar spitzers.

Have also become a little leery of monos with very small hollow-points over the years, having seen more than one fail to open properly--the reason I much prefer plastic-tipped monos. (Large-caliber monos with big hollow points have always opened well.)

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Pappy,

I’ve talked to the guy that makes them and he said they shoot fine in a 10 twist barrel. They are looong for sure. I’ve also talked to Barnes about their new 95gr. TTSX and they are adament about needing an 8 twist for those bullets!

Elk Country

Sorry for the brain fart I had.Too much time in the cold has frozen my brain.

Last edited by Huntz; 11/29/19.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
They look very interesting; I'm going to order some.

My two biggest doubts are the claim that the cavity back allows more powder to be loaded. Maybe so, but if a certain monolithic bullet weighs X amount, then the rear end is going to take up as much space no matter how its shaped, when seated to the same approximate overall length as similar spitzers.

Have also become a little leery of monos with very small hollow-points over the years, having seen more than one fail to open properly--the reason I much prefer plastic-tipped monos. (Large-caliber monos with big hollow points have always opened well.)

JB, the hollow point is pretty small, but they also have very defined pre-skived petals. which facilitate quick opening. In all the gel tests I was part of and all of the wound channels I have seen on game, I have yet to see evidence that one didn't open. The only thing I have ever caught in an animal was a petal from a 6.8mm bullet on a large Texas pig that was shot at a quartering-to angle.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Huntz
Pappy,

Elk Country

Length has nothing to do with twist rate.The amount of bearing surface however does.

That's a new concept to me!

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, me too....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Length has nothing to do with twist rate???
That flies in the face of everything I thought I knew about twist rate calculations.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by MickeyD
Length has nothing to do with twist rate???
That flies in the face of everything I thought I knew about twist rate calculations.

Sorry for the brain fart I had.Too much time in the cold has frozen my brain.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Hey, I understand! Winter has started in Montana....

John Steinbeck
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
MD,

I’m surprised to know you hadn’t heard of the Cavity Back Bullets! I’m also very glad to know you will be putting them to the test. I too prefer a plastic tip in my mono bullets (I use the 129gr. LRX in a 270Win and a 270 Wthby.). This little 243 will be used primarily as an antelope/deer rifle out to 300 maybe 350yds and my original plan was to use the Nosler 90gr. Accubond. I would love your opinion on that bullet as well!

Can’t wait to see your results and read the review!

Elk Country

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
724 members (10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 89 invisible), 2,723 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,698
Posts18,399,950
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.