Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by muleshoe
How does your son feel about the situation?

Just curious.

My son is madder at his friend than I am. I think that my son was embarrassed by his friend's disobedience, 'cause he knows that I am a stickler for following the rules and particularly strict when firearms are involved..

I agree that puts you in a pickle. It’s strange. Did he just get excited? What kind experience does he have? How old is he?

I’ve been hunting for a week with 2 14 year old kids and a 15 year old. My son and 2 of his buddies. It’s tried my patients to no end. But we are all learning from it. Good and bad. 2 of the kids made some bad shot choices and didn’t listen to direction afterward, in the excitement.

I was a bit upset at the time but now chalk it up to inexperience. We all talked about what went wrong and how to fix it moving forward.

Have you talked to the young man and expressed your concerns? If not...give it a shot.

Last edited by tzone; 11/28/19.

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by battue
Originally Posted by Blackheart
8 of us have a 1200 acre wooded lease, and we eliminated some problems by having one rule. If it is legal by Game Commission law, then it is up to the individual. All of us pay for the same ground. There are no restrictions of your stand is here, mine is there. None of the silly, posting your spot on a map for the day. Some like to still hunt and not be stuck in one place. They paid the same for every acre as someone else. We don't crowd another if we know they are there, but if I wander past you on stand and had no reason to know you were there, then that's the way it goes.

One guy years ago put in a small food plot and thought that gave him exclusive right to some unspecific amount of land. He felt it was off limits even if he wasn't there. That became clarified quickly.

Everyone does things different, and the above situation is another issue. However, unnecessary rules cause their own problems. And often there are those who want to make rules .

That's the best lease I've ever heard of. Congratulations on finding a good one.

We don't even need a stinking meeting. You pay your money to the landowner, sign a contract with him and get a key to the one gate. Someone becomes an [bleep] the landowner removes them quickly.
Sounds good. I've never heard of one with so few rules. Hows it going this year ? Any luck so far ?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
8 of us have a 1200 acre wooded lease, and we eliminated some problems by having one rule. If it is legal by Game Commission law, then it is up to the individual. All of us pay for the same ground. There are no restrictions of your stand is here, mine is there. None of the silly, posting your spot on a map for the day. Some like to still hunt and not be stuck in one place. They paid the same for every acre as someone else. We don't crowd another if we know they are there, but if I wander past you on stand and had no reason to know you were there, then that's the way it goes.

One guy years ago put in a small food plot and thought that gave him exclusive right to some unspecific amount of land. He felt it was off limits even if he wasn't there. That became clarified quickly.

Everyone does things different, and the above situation is another issue. However, unnecessary rules cause their own problems. And often there are those who want to make rules .

That's the best lease I've ever heard of. Congratulations on finding a good one.

We don't even need a stinking meeting. You pay your money to the landowner, sign a contract with him and get a key to the one gate. Someone becomes an [bleep] the landowner removes them quickly.

Sign me up!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is deer hunters and trophy hunters. The deer hunter wants to shot anything legal. The trophy hunter wants a old deer with large horns. Nothing wrong with either group. They just don’t mix.
Most folks that hunting is a priority find a place to hunt. If they can’t follow rules in every day life don’t expect them to change while hunting. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
No guests allowed on my lease......and wouldn't have it any other way.

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm for people shooting whatever buck makes them happy. This "only big bucks are worth shooting" is a big crock of shyt and I have no desire to force it on others, especially young/new hunters. I wouldn't belong to or accept an invitation to hunt on a lease where a bunch of lame ass dickheads would tell me where, how or when I can hunt or what I could and couldn't shoot. I was given permission to hunt a piece of private land that came with a bunch of restrictions a few years back. "Don't shoot any spikes or forks, don't shoot this 8 pointer or that 9 point cuz they'll be real slammers in a couple more years" yada yada yada. The guy had game cams all over the property and was showing me pictures of what bucks I could and couldn't shoot. I ended up telling him "no thanks" and have never hunted there.

My thoughts exactly !

Having said that, if I had an invitation to hunt somewhere else & did accept the invitation, I would follow the "rules" to a standard above what was requested.

Rather, if it's a conditional invitation that you accept, you accept the conditions !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Blackheart,

I have you on "ignore" and won't read your posts, but assume that it reflects your values and is therefore of no value to me.

I've quoted it, so you'll see it.

Actually I agree with most of Blackheart's reply, in this instance !

Paul.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Your situation is quite different from mine, as you appear to be part of a peer group of equal share holders, while I am the sole lease holder on this farm.

As part of the lease agreement, I am personally responsible for myself and my guests, so I set and enforce rules. I typically don't invite guests, never more than one at a time, and if they complain about my "we don't shoot small bucks" rule, they usually don't get invited back. I invited this 17 year old because he is a friend of my son. This boy was fine last year and he took a nice buck, a buck that I had mounted for him, so he was invited back this year. He knew what the rules are and by blatantly disregarding my directions not to shoot this buck, he disrespected me, and as a consequence it is unlikely that I will ever invite him to hunt with me anywhere ever again.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Battue;

Well thought through & completely logical.

As if I'd expect anything else from you !

Happy Thansgiving to you & yours, Sir.

Paul.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Exactly - RIGHT !

Paul.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Sounds good. I've never heard of one with so few rules. Hows it going this year ? Any luck so far ?

One bowhunter who does well every year, took a nice Buck early in the season. A couple others have taken a few Does and there are more there than there should be.

The son of a friend had a few cameras out and he has pics of three bruisers. He also got a pic of two guys coming in-in the dark-with a game cart. So for sure, something came out. Blurred so a positive ID is not a consideration. I know 5 of the 8 guys and it wasn't any of them. The bow hunter didn't do it and the other 2 wouldn't. There are only two roads into the place. Both have locked gates. One of them belongs to a farmer. They were coming in from there. Could have been part of his clan. In fact he is a distant part of mine. Another side is completely bordered by a 50 yard wide creek. You really have to work to sneak on.

Rifle Buck starts Saturday....

Last edited by battue; 11/28/19.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

That sounds about perfect.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

One bowhunter who does well every year, took a nice Buck early in the season. A couple others have taken a few Does and there are more there than there should be.

The son of a friend had a few cameras out and he has pics of three bruisers. He also got a pic of two guys coming in-in the dark-with a game cart. So for sure, something came out. Blurred so a positive ID is not a consideration. I know 5 of the 8 guys and it wasn't any of them. The bow hunter didn't do it and the other 2 wouldn't. There are only two roads into the place. Both have locked gates. One of them belongs to a farmer. They were coming in from there. Could have been part of his clan. In fact he is a distant part of mine. Another side is completely bordered by a 50 yard wide creek. You really have to work to sneak on.

Rifle Buck starts Saturday....

I forgot your gun season hasn't started yet. Hopefully the poachers haven't gotten much. Good luck and have a happy thanksgiving !

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Your situation is quite different from mine, as you appear to be part of a peer group of equal share holders, while I am the sole lease holder on this farm.

As part of the lease agreement, I am personally responsible for myself and my guests, so I set and enforce rules. I typically don't invite guests, never more than one at a time, and if they complain about my "we don't shoot small bucks" rule, they usually don't get invited back. I invited this 17 year old because he is a friend of my son. This boy was fine last year and he took a nice buck, a buck that I had mounted for him, so he was invited back this year. He knew what the rules are and by blatantly disregarding my directions not to shoot this buck, he disrespected me, and as a consequence it is unlikely that I will ever invite him to hunt with me anywhere ever again.

I understand your situation, especially when a friend of your Son is involved. However, as I previously mentioned, I've learned more from my mistakes than from the successes. And it took some adult forgiveness along the way to lighten the path. "Unlikely" is better than never, which shows you are perhaps open to the same. If the boy has potential, then all is far from lost.

Addition: There are more than a few "wild" ones who go on to succeed in life, business, and the military. wink

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Blackheart,

I have you on "ignore" and won't read your posts, but assume that it reflects your values and is therefore of no value to me.

I've quoted it, so you'll see it.

Actually I agree with most of Blackheart's reply, in this instance !

That's fine, I'm not seeking affirmation, just stating the facts of the case.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

I forgot your gun season hasn't started yet. Hopefully the poachers haven't gotten much. Good luck and have a happy thanksgiving !

Happy Thanksgiving to you and all. Spent mine yesterday with the Daughter and family. She is stuck in the position of having to satisfy two families, so one year we get the day and the next they.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Our “ little piece of Heaven” only gets visitors that we invite. And that’s a rare occurrence. Rules are “Be Safe” and enjoy.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by TheKid
This exact thing is the reason I will never again invite anyone to elk camp. Some people are totally different when you get them out away from home.

My first job out of college taught me the 30 mile rule.if it happens more than 30 miles away, it stays there . Haha

Seriously, they’d never be back at the lease .

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A couple years ago a good friend took me on his lease for the first time, only 3 guys and I know all of them. Rules...if you wouldn't hand it on the wall don't shoot it. Within 20 minutes i had a 6 point 20 yards in front of the stand. He walked and I watched. Took a pic and sent it to him. I needed some meat in the freezer but wanted the friendship more. That afternoon i got the keys to 235 acres and told to fill the freezer as no big bucks were in there. Had the keys since and taken a couple moderate bucks out of it, haven't been invited back to his lease yet but they pay the lease.

If I'd shot that 6 point we wouldn't be doing any hunting together anymore.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by muleshoe
How does your son feel about the situation?

Just curious.

My son is madder at his friend than I am. I think that my son was embarrassed by his friend's disobedience, 'cause he knows that I am a stickler for following the rules and particularly strict when firearms are involved..

Let your kid deal handle it then. Assuming he's the one who made the initial invite, doubt there will be another.

Black Cows Matter!
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (160user, 10Glocks, 1973cb450, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 65 invisible), 2,810 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,257
Posts18,467,069
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.