Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 14 15
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
When I was growing up we had a Savage model 110 manufactured in the early 1980s in 7 Rem Mag that had a plastic mim part in the bolt. That part broke on a mountainside when we were packing out a moose shot about 3/4 mile from the road. The rifle was non-functional and we had spend a night with a big fire and a coleman lantern cranked up to the max as we were cutting up the moose and hauling pieces out.

Tikkas are very accurate rifles. They retain zero and are very rain and moisture resistant. Many hunters use them with great affect. I have never had a Tikka but have some Sako 85s and they seem very dependable. However, I would be concerned that some MIM part might go sideways in the worst possible conditions.

I have two Nosler Model 48s. One in 26 Nosler and one in 338 Winchester Mag. In my mind, while they are push feed construction, they are extremely well suited for terrrible conditions. They are both very accurate and would perform in arctic or desert conditions well. Both guns have microslick coating on the inside of the action that reduces gunk build up.

I also have two Winchester Model 70 NH Classics in 338 Win mag and 375 HH. The 338 is wood stocked and the 375 is plastic stocked with stainless action and barrel.
The nod would go to the 375 HH Winchester. They were basically designed to be a bomb proof rifle with a simple trigger. It would be easy to make that gun into a rifle that could be used every day forever.

Last edited by kaboku68; 11/28/19.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by colorado11
Seems like Sako is getting mentioned here - I wonder if anyone could compare how the Sako A7 would hold up in tough conditions. Does it share the same features that make a Tikka a good choice in abusive conditions?

I'm curious on this as well. I've held a few 85s and like the way they fit but the issue seems to be the extractor and kicking shells into the bottom of the scope.

I've been using Kimber Montanas for the better part of 10 years - with zero issues. Rain, snow, mud, dust, mtn laurel, sage brush, everything I've dragged them through, they've worked fine. I also really liked the early M70 SS Classics with the simple open trigger but they weighed a bit much.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
1939 K98. Mine's a Russian capture.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
For my hunting use, I will take a stainless Ruger Mark II / Hawkeyes or M70 Classic. Or similar Mauser derivative. I definitely prefer the stainless rifles, blade ejectors, and open style triggers. And synthetic stock.

Last edited by ldmay375; 11/28/19. Reason: Synthetic stock
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by lastround
My choice for your requirements is always the Ruger Mk II over the Hawkeye (poor finish) or any other rifle. Well made, extremely durable, and mine (with a bit of tinkering) are as accurate as any others in my safe.

The Hawkeyes from the past couple of years are back to a mostly-polished finish. So they're good again, if you can find them or buy a new config like the Hawkeye Hunter edition.

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by DrDeath
I’m looking real hard now at those older Ruger MKII boatpaddle stainless rifles.

This is your best move. If you are content with a 30-06 or 270, you can find them reasonably on Gunbroker.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Being old and contrary, I'd go for a good Mauser with a simple trigger and clip guide still present or added.
Some here have related stories about Mauser failures, but without details of the particular rifles, I can't get too
worked up about those. There are gazillions of them put there, and a lot have been extensively futzed with,
not always by people who know what they're doing.

WDM Bell wrote how M98 mausers failed him under extreme use conditions.

such Rigby rifles were not 'futzed' with mechanically, since Rigby essentially sourced military spec. barreled actions
direct from Mauser under contract.

When his life and livelyhood depended on it in remote colonial Africa, he found the Lee Enfield rough and unrefined,
but superior in reliabilty to all his other much more costly bolt trash and double rifles.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by kaboku68
When I was growing up we had a Savage model 340A manufactured in the early 1980s in 7 Rem Mag that had a plastic mim part in the bolt. That part broke on a mountainside when we were packing out a moose shot about 3/4 mile from the road. The rifle was non-functional and we had spend a night with a big fire and a coleman lantern cranked up to the max as we were cutting up the moose and hauling pieces out.
The Savage 340, whether in A,B,C,D or E series was never available in 7mm Rem. mag.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Check out Savage, they have some open sighted models

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I like the 18.7" bbl version of the GSR in SS. I changed to a synthetic stock to get the weight down. I also went with an XS sight rail for scope flexibility while retainjin the iron sight. Great rifle!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Condition Yellow
Other than the iron sights, I’d suggest a Tikka.

Tikka with quick detach mounts and carry a zeroed spare scope in quick detach mounts in your day pack.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The CZ550. It's predecessor the ZB ZKK has been exported all over the world. The Magnum is particularly impressive. The ZKK 602 came in .300magnum but was very heavy due to heavy profile barrel (about 9lb empty). Some where made with plastic stocks. I would pick up one of those.

D
DrDeath Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
How about the Kimber 84L Hunter

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
I don't have any thing against a Kimber at all, but the plastic trigger guard on the hunter & slim barrel profile don't spell extreme - hard use to me.

Others will need to step in & discuss how the action & trigger deals with snow or sand.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 338rcm
Another vote for the Ruger Mark II

Yep. Stainless boat paddle, chambered in good all American fashion: 30-06 springfield.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by DrDeath
I’m looking real hard now at those older Ruger MKII boatpaddle stainless rifles.

Thats the ticket.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wanted to add a no-worries, rough-use gun to my safe this year and wound up with a SS Ruger 77 Hawkeye .308win.

Now with even more aplomb
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Not sure how up-to-date this info is, but it mentions the M1917 use by Sirius Patrol.

GLOCKS & M1917S: THE REDOUBTABLE ARMS OF THE GREENLAND PATROL

The m1917 is extremely robust, but not really a "factory" rifle. They are a little on the heavy side too, but when you build them right, they are a thing of beauty.

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My version of the Wilderness Wandering Rifle, SS M70 Fwt 30-06, 21" bbl., Bansner Stock, NECG Rear Sight, Ashley Front, Leupold 2-7x33 LRD in Burris Zee's. I'd make a couple changes now, but I think it's about as good as it gets.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Page 4 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

650 members (1234, 19rabbit52, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 62 invisible), 2,610 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,694
Posts18,456,603
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.