Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Would he shoot 40 S&W in full moon clips in a K frame,
Or would he shoot a Glock?
Happy Thanksgiving
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
He was a big guy with huge hands. Glock 20 in 10mm

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Probably neither one.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Even with my simple simpleness and goofy doofus mentality and using a calculator he would be 108 years old so in my simple simpleness I calculated he would be 108 years old being born on May 1911.
So, with that being said I would say unless he had super human capabilities, aged much slower than normal humans and was still working it is my sincere belief he would not be using any firearm at the age of 108 years of age regardless of brand, type or caliber.
But who knows, he may still be corralling the bad guys, shooting up the scenery, making headlines, wooing the women, giving talks and in general being a good guy.

I AM THE GOOD FRIEND OF RENEGADE50.
HE MENTORS ME.
HE PUNISHES ME WHEN I AM WRONG.
HE CALLS ME OUT WHEN I AM LYING.
HE CARES GREATLY ABOUT ME.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by whelennut
Happy Thanksgiving
whelennut

He would be shooting a Sig P320

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
A 357 Sig.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Whatever the Border Patrol issues.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
^^^^^^^^^....correct answer....

That said, if he could transport a todays handgun/cartridge back to 1960 when he, Elmer Keith and Skeeter Skelton were pushing for a .40/41 caliber LE handgun, I would hope it would be one of the Ruger GP-100 Match Champions in 10mm as it was just what they were looking for...

Mid-frame DA
.40 caliber
Stainless steel for easy cleaning
.40/10mm ammo available from mild qualification ammo to Magnum performance rounds
Built in speed loaders
Easy to carry 4 full-moon clips in a double pouch

Just my thoughts...Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Maybe a Smith 627 PRO......

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I can't the revolver over a semi auto

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Bill Jordan, more’n anything else, was a practical handgunner. I bought his book “No Second Place Winner” for my brother when I was in high school and my brother an MP in the Army. I suspect Mr Jordan would approve of any number of modern fighting handguns today.

Of more interest to me is “What would W.E. Fairbairn do?”

Fairbairn was waaaaaaay ahead of his time, survivor of more than sixty deadly altercations in his twenty-five years in the pre-WWII Shanghai Municipal Police.

While our police were still training by standing up and shooting at targets Fairbairn devised practical pistol courses of fire for his men, including home entry scenarios, pop up targets and shoot/no shoot scenarios.

Fairbairn said most gunfights would be 1) in the dark 2) within ten feet and 3) decided in the first two seconds. Heck, his master handgun treatise was called “Shooting to Live”, he was someone who obviously “got it”.

http://index-of.co.uk/Tutorials-2/S...rn%20and%20Sykes%20-%20FMFRP%2012-81.pdf

Anyhoo... most unusual for a Brit of the period, Fairbairn favored semi-autos for their speed. First of all the Colt 1911, IIRC with a pinned down grip safety. For his more diminutive Chinese recruits the Colt 1903.

Today, I’m gonna WAG that neither Jordan nor Fairbairn would find any fault with the Glock 19.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Why would anyone think that Jordan and Fairbairn 108 years and 134 years of age respectively would still be working much less be carrying and using a gun of any type?
That is so unreasonable. An I am considered a doofus.
Funny isnt it.

I AM THE GOOD FRIEND OF RENEGADE50.
HE MENTORS ME.
HE PUNISHES ME WHEN I AM WRONG.
HE CALLS ME OUT WHEN I AM LYING.
HE CARES GREATLY ABOUT ME.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have had the opportunity to interact with a lot of BP agents over the last 27 years and have yet to see one carrying anything other than whatever handgun is/was standard issue at the time. YMMV.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by glockdoofus
Why would anyone think that Jordan and Fairbairn 108 years and 134 years of age respectively would still be working much less be carrying and using a gun of any type?
That is so unreasonable. An I am considered a doofus.
Funny isnt it.

Not unreasonable at all if they were cyborgs sent from the future.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Probably be “running” a semi, though I can’t quite wrap my head around him using anything but a revolver! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by whelennut
Happy Thanksgiving
whelennut

Glock, for sure. Perhaps in .357 Sig.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Probably not .357 Sig...from his book, "The .357 Magnum is presently the best cartridge available. With the 160 grain bullet in 4-inch barrels it delivers slightly more than 1200 (feet per second) ...and an authoritative 500 plus foot pounds of energy. While a little more shock power would be desirable, no other available cartridge is so near the ideal for police use."

The ideal, he wrote, would be a ".41 caliber loaded to between 1200 and 1300 (feet per second) with a 200 grain semi-wadcutter bullet."

Of course, he was advocating for the .41 Mag, but it is very interesting to people like me with too much time on their hands sometimes to wonder if the 10mm would have been his huckleberry. After reading No Second Place Winner and as having started my LE career with issued L frames, I've been shooting old revolver qual courses with my 5" GP-100 10mm and can't help thinking it would have been pretty ideal back in the day.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I were in a position where the varmints were 2 legged, I'd probably go for the 1911 in 45. The varmints around here have 4 legs, so My choice would be an N-frame S&W in 44 Mag or 45 Colt, second choice would be a 357 19 or 586.

As far as those two guys, I'd suspect that Jordan would do well with the 1911. Don't know anything about the Birt.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I got to hunt with Bill several times 40 years ago, and he struck me as no nonsense and straight ahead. I just would expect him to have a S&W 357 on his hip and he'd by god be able to use it. I can't imagine him any other way. Like trying to imagine him without being that tall and skinny and having that molasses thick drawl.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Bill Jordon didn't have very many kind words for the 1911, but, to be fair, it has been much improved since 1965. I hadn't read his book until a few years ago and saw where he advocated for deactivating the grip safety. Before going into LE I was gunsmithing and saw where a lot of guys would pin down their grip safeties. (Thinking about the the liability of deliberately disabling a safety device makes me cringe now.)

I carried a 1911 beginning in 1987 and rarely could get through a 60-round qual course without some issue with the issued 185 gr Remington HP. Everything else ran fine but, of course, for whatever reason, probably cost, we went to the Remington ammo. I remember hoarding all the Silvertips and any other old issued .45 I could find for duty carry but had to use the friggin' Remington for quals.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
96 members (257robertsimp, 99Ozarks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 17 invisible), 1,661 guests, and 667 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,727
Posts18,400,741
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.