Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I hear ya Mike, I like irons as well but had some missed opportunities and other difficulties when antler restrictions went in effect. I got tired of constantly looking with bins first and then shouldering the rifle. There simply isn’t enough time with deer moving through the timber. As much as they bother me, scopes are a tremendous advantage. A smaller 2-7 is about perfect for an eastern woods rifle IMO. Besides muzzleloader, all my rifles are scoped except one old 760 which wears a Williams peep on the tang.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm with you on the binocular thing Tom. I'm tired of lugging them around only to never have time to use them anyway.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by moosemike
I have a 30-06 myself and have killed a bunch of deer with the cartridge but I just feel myself drawn to the 30-30 even though with Bear open I'd be better off with the 30-06. There's something about a 94 Winchester but the open sights nearly cost me this buck. It wasn't fully light when he came by and even though I had him 50 yards broadside I couldn't tell there was a branch in my way and it deflected my shot. I hit him running with a follow up shot but that landed too far back . I didn't find him for hours and what should've been a hundred yard drag turned into nearly a mile. I'm strongly considering giving up on my iron sights after this rodeo and just using the 30-06.
That wouldn't be a problem for me as my Marlin wears a 1-4x20 VX- 2. It has worked well for me on dozens of deer in the woods.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I get a Marlin it will be in 35 Rem.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
If I get a Marlin it will be in 35 Rem.
I had one for a few years. Couldn't see that it was any more effective than my .30-30. It cost more to shoot, wasn't as accurate and didn't shoot as flat so I sold it.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I never noticed it to be more effective on deer than a 30-30 either. When it comes to Black Bear though that 200 grain slug gives me peace of mind.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Luzerne County was dead. I heard zero shots. Usually by 8am I loose count. Last few years have been pretty dismal.

This coming Saturday should be good.....hopefully! Last day for bear in WMU 3D, buck is still in and antlerless season opens. Bear, buck or doe......gotta get something!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I never noticed it to be more effective on deer than a 30-30 either. When it comes to Black Bear though that 200 grain slug gives me peace of mind.
Tough to argue with peace of mind, though I doubt theres much difference.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Steve_in_PA
Luzerne County was dead. I heard zero shots. Usually by 8am I loose count. Last few years have been pretty dismal.

This coming Saturday should be good.....hopefully! Last day for bear in WMU 3D, buck is still in and antlerless season opens. Bear, buck or doe......gotta get something!

I was in Luzerne as well, but I heard quite a few shots in the morning. Very few on Monday, and zero today.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I'm with you on the binocular thing Tom. I'm tired of lugging them around only to never have time to use them anyway.

In an area that has antler restrictions?

Never would I be without binos..........

IC B3

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Plus with binocs you wouldn’t need to glass me with a rifle scope, like some guy did In Warren County Saturday.

Last edited by flinger88; 12/04/19.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I wouldn't like to be without my binos, however I've bounced three Bucks out of their beds so far this season, and at least 10 plus Does. You either get on them quick or you lose all opportunity. You make a shoot/no shoot choice, provided you can get on them. Big horns make the decision for you. Entirely different circumstance than glassing someone with a scope.

I've used the Binos on Deer that were caught unaware, but for big horns up close they hang.

Last edited by battue; 12/04/19.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Battue just summed it up perfectly. I dont need binos for looking hunters over either. In my hunting areas I seldom can see a hunter more than a hundred yards away and my eyes do fine by themselves at that distance. I cant remember how many years it's been since I used optics on another hunter?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Before I drag my tired butt out:

I use Binos. Just not all the time, nor do they reside in a marsupial pouch, waiting to be used at my leisure.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

And second, why do some think that every time they see someone aiming a rifle at distance, they can exactly tell they are the one in the scope. Up close yes. At distance, perhaps the hunter is aiming at a Deer that is practically on top of him. They may be a couple hundred yards away from the other hunter, yet they can tell the exact vertical and horizontal angle of the one with the rifle up. Hey there is an orange Deer, let's look at it thru the scope?

And if they willing to aim at orange, binos would make little difference.

Last edited by battue; 12/05/19.

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P

I carry binoculars, but if I can’t determine if a buck is legal with the naked eye, it gets to walk.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P

Originally Posted by Steve_in_PA

Hunted Springbrook and Suscon (Luzerne and Lackawanna Counties) pretty extensively in the 70’s and 80’s. Big area and one can hear shots for miles, but every year would count the 200th shot between 8:30 and 9:00 on opening day.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Saw 10 or so today, 8 even posed for the binos. However, as hard as I looked, no horns were to be seen.

I even saw a hunter in orange about 500yards away out in a field. Actually didn't need the binos, but looked at him thru them anyway. Just to check him out.

Last edited by battue; 12/05/19.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I killed a decent 8 point the first day. Sat the morning from 6 am til noon. Climbed down and grabbed a quick sammich at camp, and was back in the woods at a different spot for the evening. While hiking in to where I wanted to be for the evening I spotted a buck on a distant hillside. I watched him til he topped out, then hustled over to the base of the ridge, hiked up to the crest and caught my breath. I crested the top and shot him at about 150yds when he stood from his bed. Good way to end a week that started with killing a bear the previous Saturday. I’ve got 7 doe tags left and after finishing up my 10 day stretch of work, have the last 4 days of the season off to put some meat in the freezer.

Oh, and believe it or not, deer bite. Fairly hard.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Saw 26 today. No bucks. Shot a doe.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I shot a "Doe" today or at least I thought I did. Turned out to be a buck that had already shed both antlers!

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
139 members (10Glocks, 2UP, 300_savage, 257 mag, 160user, 35, 12 invisible), 1,825 guests, and 832 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,778
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.