Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I have never really paid attention to where people in Canada live. I just looked at a Canadian map. I know Paul and Wabigoon live in NW Ontario. Just curious what province some other members live in. I am especially curious about Steve R and Dewayne. I am guessing British Columbia for Dewayne. Any others care to join in?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.
BP-B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I live in central Ontario. We settled here after I retired from the service in 1999. I'm about 30 minutes from CFB Borden. I taught at a military school there for seven years in uniform, and eleven more as a civilian.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The all-around Canadian gentleman, pleasant and helpful dude BC30Cal is Dwayne not Dewayne. smile I will let him answer with regard to his locale....

I am in Calgary Alberta moving to LA in 2020 (Lethbridge Alberta smile )

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Cool Steve. I guess I could have looked at your profile but dont always think very well. 🤗

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
You dont live all that far from the line. Good luck on your move.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Texczech
Cool Steve. I guess I could have looked at your profile but dont always think very well. 🤗

No problem. All the best.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As my profile says I live on the north shore of Lake Ontario. More specifically I live about 35 miles east of Toronto. Due to my age I have seen the population change from a few hundred thousand to millions. Not anything I like but I'm too old now to consider moving out into the boonies.

Was out with a group of old friends this evening and we were reminiscing about the old days when we used to hunt ducks and run fox with the hounds within the city limits. None of this has been possible for years and years. It used to be that trespassing laws were almost non-existent. At one time on farm land if hunters kept away from farm houses and livestock most farmers didn't object to hunters. This is no longer the case. Also much of the adjacent rural land has now been chopped up into 1/2 or 1 acre residential lots and houses have been built. If one of these home owners now can hear a gunshot you can almost be guaranteed a police presence will follow shortly.

So many gun clubs have been closed that new or beginning shooters cannot even find a club with open memberships. The conclusion,, if you want to live near to areas where there are abundant hunting opportunities then you have to move to areas where work availability is quite limited. This is an unfortunate reality of the current age and things are likely to get worse here in Ontario.

Sorry to sound pessimistic but thought you might be interested in one old timers thoughts.

Jim

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Texczech:
Good afternoon to you sir, I hope the day was as clear and calm in your part of the world as it was here today - and of course a tad warmer!

Indeed as you've already guessed we reside in rural British Columbia, the nearest town being unincorporated Okanagan Falls, which in the old days was a sawmill town as well as the cattle auction sight for the south Okanagan.

For those unfamiliar with the Okanagan, we're Canada's only desert area, so the natural foliage is Ponderosa Pine, 3 kinds of sage - Antelope Brush, Sage Brush and Rabbit Brush, along with Saskatoon and some White Poplar and Cottonwood along the old river channel.

We've got a few scorpions, a few more rattle snakes and no shortage of prickly pear cactus.

Where I type now, we're within spitting distance of this lake 3 minutes south of us - Vaseaux Lake.
[Linked Image from britishcolumbia.ca]

That photo is taken from less than a mile up the back road behind our place.

This is Skaha Lake which is 3 minutes north of us.
[Linked Image from chambermaster.blob.core.windows.net]

That's the old Kettle Valley Railway trestle in the photo which is now a hiking/biking trail.

Anyway it's mostly known for our wine these days and by the awards the locals win, I suppose it's pretty decent quality. One of the local wine makers who wins a lot of the awards uses the meat pole in our yard to skin his bucks and as thanks he'll leave us a bottle of his latest.

I keep telling him he doesn't need to do that, but can't say the gesture is all that hard to take either! wink

We're about 45 minutes from Washington State on Highway 97 too so that's another geographical marker point I suppose.

Anyway sir, though I've been to San Antonio and then south to San Padre, I've yet to be in your part of Texas, but that's where we're from.

All the best to you as we head into winter and cooler weather.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 11/30/19. Reason: better desert info

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Evnin Bill here, I'm right at the line of central ont and northern ont. Used to be great hunting and fishing here, now because of all the water, river, lakes and streams its over run with tourists. Summer is tourist season but we can't shoot them DAM,!! Wish the wife would like to move far north. Doesn't want to be to far from the kids, grandkids. I'd move in a heart beat. Have a good weekend. 🐾👣🐾👣🇨🇦

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I am in Iowa, I love my time in NW Ontario.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B3

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I have lived in NW Ontario for the bulk of my 69 trips around the sun. Have loved it immensely. For 30 years, I ran herd on the lawbreakers of the province. On retirement at age 51, I was a prosecutor in Provincial Offences Court for just under 14 years, and I was the pastor of a church for 13 years as well.

I have enjoyed the outdoors hunting, shooting and fishing. Recently, my wife and I jumped ship in NW Ontario and became residents of south central Manitoba. Loving it so far. Closer to family and medical facilities.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
I’m in Southern Ontario. Grew up in what’s called the Near North. Army brat. When the old man got out we moved back to our hometown, where I was born.

Been around 60 years now. Bounced around to a few cities locally, ended up in a small farm city about an hour and a quarter west of Toronto.

Used to be able to go out of an evening and shoot 8 or 10 groundhogs. Now the only ones we see are in the road ditches next to the towns.

Still some decent deer hunting, for bow, shotgun or ML. Wild turkey and Canada Geese. Lotsa Canada Geese. But I can’t stand the stink of them.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I live in the small community of Willowbrook, up in the hills, about 12 kms from where Dwayne lives.

Patrick

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die,
I want to go where they went."
Will Rogers

And on the 8th day, God created the Border Collie.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
You are close enough to shake Dwayne's hand then. many of us would like that privilege.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
wabigoon;
Good evening to you my friend, I hope the first Sunday in the last month of the year was a good one and finds you and your fine family well.

Indeed Moby/Patrick is a gentleman of the finest order and we've shaken hands and shared a cold beverage a time or two for sure. I believe we must have met close to a decade back now, but hopefully he'll know that date for certain.

Geographically, he's just behind the notch in the mountain - behind the big cliff on the right - in the top photo.

The cliff is known as McIntyre Bluff, where as legend has it, one group of First Nations folks drove another group of less than welcome First Nations folks over the edge.....

It was a territorial dispute of some importance - as in the buffalo grounds on the prairies, good fishing spots meant survival here in southern BC and were hotly contested.

Before it was dammed off to control flooding further downstream in the US, the water fall at Okanagan Falls was one such place where if you and your family group held it, you would be assured of enough food for the winter. If not, well then maybe one starved.

Such was life before the white fur traders came and traded firearms to some of the locals, enabling them to hold the falls and maintain both a livelihood as well as future bargaining rights with the fur trader's descendants.

Speaking of fur traders, the fur used to move through the Interior here on horse pack trains, some of them up to 300 plus horses. As a stock man, I know your mind reels too when thinking about supplying nightly grazing for 300 tired head of pack horses - much less unloading them all. Then of course there's the morning chores of wrangling the herd and throwing 300 diamond hitches....

All on the road down to the Hudson's Bay Company fort at the mouth of the Columbia - Fort Vancouver I believe it would have been.

https://oregonencyclopedia.org/articles/hudson_s_bay_company/#.XeR0-ZNKiUk

When the US and Britain began to settle on the 49th parallel as a dividing line, the good folks down there - mostly Scotsmen I'd think - made their way north. One of which was my buddy's grandfather, who settled up here doing some gold mining first and then going into farming/ranching.

Anyway although it's comparatively recent history, it's the history of the area Moby and I call home.

All the best to you folks as we head into winter wabigoon.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 12/01/19.

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Dwayne that was a great bit of history about our little Valley that I didn't know. And Wabigoon, Dwayne is most certainly a person one appreciates. We met in 2008 (he taught the course I had to take to get my hunter number) and he took the time to show on a map where some good hunting can be had. He also gave me some good advice on knives and reloading. In short, he is every bit the gentleman that most people believe him to be.

Patrick

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die,
I want to go where they went."
Will Rogers

And on the 8th day, God created the Border Collie.
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Moby1
Dwayne that was a great bit of history about our little Valley that I didn't know. And Wabigoon, Dwayne is most certainly a person one appreciates. We met in 2008 (he taught the course I had to take to get my hunter number) and he took the time to show on a map where some good hunting can be had. He also gave me some good advice on knives and reloading. In short, he is every bit the gentleman that most people believe him to be.

I'm shocked. Shocked I say!

Dwayne is a nice guy in real life as well as on the 'Fire?

Who'd a thunkit? grin

John

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
laugh I've talked to Dwayne on the phone a couple of times, I knew that. Just assuring the rest of the 'fire that Dwayne is for real.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I live on Piigitiwabic Bay of Lake Nipigon(Bay of Rock Faces) but it is still a 5 hour drive East of Wabigoon.
Fooling around with Google Earth the other day I realized that my house is the closest residence to where the world record Speckled Trout was caught.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
And we all seem to live close to Red Green, and Possum Lodge. laugh

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
142 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 11 invisible), 1,439 guests, and 793 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,590
Posts18,397,899
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.