Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Anyone used an rdf bullet on game? I was noticing the 6mm 115g has a BC of about .634 which looks high enough to make me consider trying them.

I've typically stuck with 105s because I didn't see many 115s with a big enough bump in bc to be with the trade in speed over 105s. The rdfs I have on hand look like the HP is totally closed off so I wonder if that will effect on game performance, maybe pencil through?

Bb

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
Anyone used an rdf bullet on game? I was noticing the 6mm 115g has a BC of about .634 which looks high enough to make me consider trying them.

I've typically stuck with 105s because I didn't see many 115s with a big enough bump in bc to be with the trade in speed over 105s. The rdfs I have on hand look like the HP is totally closed off so I wonder if that will effect on game performance, maybe pencil through?

Bb

I have not shot any on game, and have only used the 70gr .224 and the 130gr 6.5, however to your point about the tip being closed off - I have shot some into water jugs out of curiosity, and they definitely don't pencil through, they tended to tumble and fragment. The jackets seem to be pretty thin and the nose cavity is hollow, so I think the nose section collapses or deforms on impact and then the bullet tumbles or just fragments. That doesn't tell me everything I'd want to know about how they work on game, but from that limited info I'd expect them to work similar to Bergers.

My bigger problem with them is accuracy though - still haven't found a load that shoots well with these in 5.56, 6.5 Creed, or 6.5 Grendel. In my 223 Wylde AR the best I've gotten out of these is about 1.5 MOA for 5 shots, and that's after trying several powders, primers, and a wide range of seating depth. Since those haven't shot well, I haven't bothered trying the 6mm version yet.

If you have any accurate loads for these, I'm all ears.

Last edited by Yondering; 11/25/19.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't know how much I trust nosler on BC, I trust sierra and berger more when it comes to what the company says the BDC is. also I have typically better luck with sierras and bergers shooting better. When I am looking for the most possible accuracy I go to sierra and berger first. haven't shot very many big game animals with the match style bullets. however I have shot coyotes with them at extended ranges. I found in many cases the coyotes did a lot of jumping and wandering around before laying down and dieing in many cases. while I never looked, didn't want to walk that far LOL. I strongly suspect the bullets penciled through.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by Burleyboy

Bb

I have not shot any on game, and have only used the 70gr .224 and the 130gr 6.5, however to your point about the tip being closed off - I have shot some into water jugs out of curiosity, and they definitely don't pencil through, they tended to tumble and fragment. The jackets seem to be pretty thin and the nose cavity is hollow, so I think the nose section collapses or deforms on impact and then the bullet tumbles or just fragments. That doesn't tell me everything I'd want to know about how they work on game, but from that limited info I'd expect them to work similar to Bergers.

My bigger problem with them is accuracy though - still haven't found a load that shoots well with these in 5.56, 6.5 Creed, or 6.5 Grendel. In my 223 Wylde AR the best I've gotten out of these is about 1.5 MOA for 5 shots, and that's after trying several powders, primers, and a wide range of seating depth. Since those haven't shot well, I haven't bothered trying the 6mm version yet.

If you have any accurate loads for these, I'm all ears.

I know every barrel is different - some good - some bad , but i've read of quite a few folks saying they couldn't get them to shoot well . So i haven't tried them .
Good luck to you Burleyboy .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (222ND, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 2003and2013, 10Glocks, 163bc, 66 invisible), 2,569 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,176
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.