Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I ran across a nice all original rifle for a good deal. Ive never had much interest in the 264. Always hearing they are a "barrel burner", kind of turned me off to them. However, after using and shooting my creedmoors lately, i see some advantages to that caliber (6.5). What say you guys that have and use them?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My buddy has one and I did all the load development for it. Tried several powders eventually settled on h4831 ssc with 140 Sierra’s. Magpro gave phenomenal velocity but chit groups. I also bedded it and did the false screw thing like you did to yours as well. With this particular rifle once I got over 2800 plus the groups opened up. I don’t know if it was just a shot out barrel or what. He had bunch of ammo that came with it, most loaded up with 100gr bullets. Which made me wonder if the previous owner took it prairie dog hunting 🤪. I love to find one, I had one yrs ago and was talked out of it. .

Last edited by 79S; 11/30/19.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks John. I appreciate your info. I hope you had a good Thanksgiving!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
My grandpa had one in 264 Win Mag and he also had a devil of a time to get it to shoot. A guy at the range let him chrono some handloads with 140gr bullets and he realized he got more velocity out of his 270 featherweight using 140gr bullets as well. The westerner went out the door.

I picked up a Cabelas special run, new production “Westerner”. Its an FN70 barreled action with sights, with what looks like a pre-64 straight-comb stock of slimmer proportions. Has the panel checkering instead of the wrap-around too. Shoots awesome. Its a 7mm Rem Mag.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
1917, I had a good one when I was about 21.. I had handloaded ammo from the guy I bought it from.. He had used it very little.. It was Horn. 140's with 4831 powder.. With the old Lyman 4x with a post it would easy shoot 1" groups at 100... I let a couple older "friends" talk me in to trading for a 7mm RM..Sako.. It wouldn't shoot worth a hoot.. When they knew I had made the trade, they beat it right down and bought it.. Never could talk them out of it..

A pal has one but not the Westerner, he used it for several years on deer and antelope.. Not sure of the load, but it was fast.. I had a couple on Rem. actions.. I liked the caliber, but none shot as good as the Westerner.. If I did not have a couple custom 7mm Mags I would have one... I know where there is one that is mint, but she wont sell at this time.. I always thought it was one cool round....

Molon Labe
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a 270 and a 264.

I like the 264, there is something about it that is just cool.

But I agree with Jack, the 264 is a loud 270.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I tried H1000, retumbo, as well never tried rl33. I also tried 140 AB, 140 hornady and the Sierras shot the best.. one of the very few rifles that left me wondering.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I bought a beater one in 264 for $200 and sent it off to LRI with a new brux tube and a mcwoody stock. Should ship back any day now and I couldn’t be more excited. Had it throated for 140 bergers at mag length.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have one I swapped into about six years ago, 1960 vintage, and I love it. MOA was not difficult to achieve. I can push 140 Accubonds up to about 3250 using IMR 7828, but best accuracy seems to come at about 3170. Only killed one deer with it, but performance was excellent. That little buck dropped within 25 feet and the chest cavity was all soup.

If I had to pare down to a single big game rifle, that rifle would be in the top three for sure.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I wished I had a P64 Westerner, but I did find an old Classic 264. With Retumbo and 140 Accubonds it'll knock down 3240 pretty easily and is a peach to shoot. I put mine in a McMillan and just enjoy the rifle a bunch. A Westerner in great condition would be a great addition in my book. I have never seen the few 264's I have loaded for give much drama, either 24" Rugers nor the 26" Winchesters..

Semper Fi
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Scotty, what's your charge of Retumbo? I have some queued up for my .264 when my 7828 loads are exhausted.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I don't remember my charge off the top of my head and apologize, but when I get back to my notes I will check it out for you.

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I appreciate that Scotty. I'm pretty sure I'd stumble on it sooner or later whilst fiddling and floundering, but if you know the shortcut I'll take it!
smile

Don't be the darkness.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by beretzs
I wished I had a P64 Westerner, but I did find an old Classic 264. With Retumbo and 140 Accubonds it'll knock down 3240 pretty easily and is a peach to shoot. I put mine in a McMillan and just enjoy the rifle a bunch. A Westerner in great condition would be a great addition in my book. I have never seen the few 264's I have loaded for give much drama, either 24" Rugers nor the 26" Winchesters..

Love to find me a model 70 classic in a 264 win mag. One of the harder chambering to find.. I was pretty stoked when I finally found a 25-06 in one..

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Bsa1917hunter: I have 5 (five) Pre-64 Winchester Model 70 "Westerners" - 2 (two) are Featherweight Westerners and the other 3 (three) are Standard Weight Westerners.
I do "like" them to the extreme (love'em!) but indeed I do not shoot any of these collector quality (minty!) Rifles.
It took me decades to accumulate this little trove of dandies and I wish, along the way, I would have bought one of the many lesser condition 264's I found and passed on.
I have shot several 264's way back when and have seen Deer and Antelope harvested with them - I would "like" to find a user quality pre-64 Model in 264 to wring out and do a little Hunting with.
One of my uncles had a pre-64 Model 70 and shot lots of Mule Deer in eastern Oregon way back when.
I was with him one summer when we went Rock Chuck Hunting and what that 264 did to Rock Chucks (made'em fly!) was something to behold!
Out of curiosity I looked up the production numbers for the pre-64 Winchester Model 70's in caliber 264 Winchester and the total production (all models) was only 21,114 or 4% of the total made.
Long live "the Riflemans Rifle"!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by beretzs

Love to find me a model 70 classic in a 264 win mag. One of the harder chambering to find.. I was pretty stoked when I finally found a 25-06 in one..

For sure. The 25-06 is a gem as well. You can’t tell the two apart except for the 2” of barrel.

Semper Fi
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
No Sir, don't have one, but have thought long and hard about them, nearly bought one from JKobe I believe, here in the classifieds a year or two ago.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Damn, didn't know they ever made a Classic in 264WM, another option to be on the lookout for. smile

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Stock trim

[Linked Image]

With the McM on its diet

[Linked Image]

It’s a good shooting rifle.

[Linked Image]

Semper Fi
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Hi BSA,
Sorry I'm a little late in seeing your post and responding. I apologize up front for the following long post!

I think I've mentioned on these pages before that my Dad gave me his .264 WM Westerner a few years ago. I love it! In fact, I've always loved and coveted that rifle ever since I learned what they were and that my Dad had one. I was probably 10 years old when I realized what the 264 WM was. I used to dream of hunting monster mule deer with that rifle before I was old enough to actually go hunting.

Unfortunately for me, my Dad loved that rifle too, and I never ever got a chance to even shoot it. Dad killed many elk and mule deer with that rifle. Then a few years ago, after helping my Dad out with some manual labor, he quietly asked that I follow him down to his gun safe and he took that rifle out and handed it to me and asked me if I wanted it. I told him of course I wanted it but I didn't want to take his rifle. He told me that he wanted me to have it for helping him out so much and because he was getting too old to get out hunting much anymore. I told him that I really didn't need to take a rifle from him that I knew he loved so much but he told me to go ahead and take it. His last words on the subject were, "you better take it while you have the chance before I change my mind." So I took it. You would have thought I won the lottery! My Dad provided me with all of his reloading dies, bullets, and reloading records, so at least I wasn't starting from scratch.

As far as the cartridge goes, I love it, but realistically, it isn't much more than a .270 Win. if you follow the pressure guidelines. As you can see from some of the posts above, you can achieve some impressive velocities if you don't follow pressure guidelines from the bullet and powder manufacturers. I like to live more on the cautious side so try not to push past the recommended maximum loads. If you do that, you will quickly find that the velicites that you can reach aren't much more than the 270 and can't match the 7mm Rem. Mag. However, you can load the 264 for plenty of velocity to hunt most big game in the lower 48. I would only hesitate using it on the big bears of AK.

My Dad claimed he always got better accuracy with the 2-diameter Winchester bullet and that when Winchester quit selling it as a component in the 70s, that he never could find a bullet that would shoot as good. I searched and searched for some of these 2-diameter bullets after I got the rifle and finally found some Remington Core-loks made years ago. I tried them this past summer and was highly disappointed in the accuracy. We're talking 6-8 in. "groups." It was obviously the bullets, since other bullets like the 140gr. Partitions shot in 1-1.5" groups. I used a 140gr. Partition load to shoot my antelope this year using my Dad's rifle. There have been discussions elsewhere on the campfire where people say that Winchester and others still use the 2-diameter bullet in their factory ammo. I'm a handloader at heart, so have never tried any of the new factory ammo.

One last note: I was hesitant to try the new 127gr. Nosler Accubond Long Range bullets in this rifle due to the slower twist rate as compared to some of the newer twist rates on current 6.5 rifles. I asked about this on the Gunwriters forum and Mule Deer (John Barsness) told me that he had no problems when he tried it in his Westerner and at the altitude that I typically hunt in, that I should have even less problems. I was already prepped for hunting season to use the 140 gr. Partition, but on my last trip to the range, on a lark, I loaded three rounds with the ABLR bullet with a powder charge that I thought would work. I shot those three into about 0.5". Not sure that I could repeat that and it may have been a complete fluke, but I'm definitely going to try those bullets some more when I have another chance to load some up.

Bottom line for me, as a hunter and handloader, is that the .264 WM is a lot of fun to play with and it has some panache and nostalgia that makes it even cooler. However, if someone was looking only for an efficient rifle to use strictly as a tool for hunting here in the US, I would tell them that there are probably much better cartridges to get the job done. I hope that helps you out a little bit!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (12344mag, 1234, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 16penny, 52 invisible), 2,319 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,618
Posts18,454,995
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.