Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Crap. Now I have to switch too.... I better get on it I guess.

BP-B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, I wasn't very happy either. Was hoping my TracFone flipper would last the rest of my life.

Among other things, on semi-remote hunting trips I was sometimes able to call when other folks could not with far more expensive smartphones, because TracFone connects with several cell networks, not just one. Plus, the battery didn't need to be charged every damn day, in fact it often only needed once a week if I wasn't doing a lot of calling. However, the $19.99 replacement TracFone is an Alcatel, and so far it looks like the battery won't need constant recharging either.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Among other things, on semi-remote hunting trips I was sometimes able to call when other folks could not with far more expensive smartphones, because TracFone connects with several cell networks, not just one. Plus, the battery didn't need to be charged every damn day, in fact it often only needed once a week if I wasn't doing a lot of calling. However, the $19.99 replacement TracFone is an Alcatel, and so far it looks like the battery won't need constant recharging either. [/quote]

That was my battery experience as well...usually only needed to recharge once a week when most of the guys with the newest and best-est had to charge theirs daily.
I prefer the "KISS" (keep it simple stupid) method to most things and have been dragged kicking and screaming into the techno world we now live in...even though I realize it is inevitable.
Oh well, off to Wally's!
rookie

Last edited by rookieatbest; 11/30/19. Reason: rookie screw-up

NRA Life member

"You can't fix stupid"
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Just got word from the printer that the new RLN book is scheduled to be shipped next Monday.

So,figure a week or so after that you will start shipping out to your customers?

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
They usually show up here about three days after they're shipped from the printer in Minnesota, so if everything works as usual we'll be mailing them to customers by Thursday.

However, we have also occasionally had delays--such as the books being shipped a day or so after the estimated date, or a snowstorm between Minnesota and Montana.

I'll post here about what's happening.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gee, I carry even less than I did 30 years ago. I don't take a phone, I don't like cell phones much, I do have a flip phone, Verizon and I can make a phone call anywhere on my property- I just leave the thing in the car. What I do carry is a Compass, a means to start a fire, some rope and small tarp( works really well for dragging a deer out) some plastic bags, for the liver and heat, knife ( buck110) and a Havalon Piranta, Rifle one full load of ammo( bolt gun 5 rounds) plus 10 in my ammo pouch. 7 x 42 Bino's, Some food. that it. I hunt light and by myself. Yeah, I carried more when I lived in Alaska but I am nowhere near as young either. Some things like a range finder have its uses, Not so much for deer hunting, I do in CT with a rifle, maybe with a Bow, so far I have not had the need for one. All I care about is being warm and dry and having enough eats to keep off the low blood sugar, I am a diabetic now. other than that. The less complicated and lest stuff the better.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
They usually show up here about three days after they're shipped from the printer in Minnesota, so if everything works as usual we'll be mailing them to customers by Thursday.

However, we have also occasionally had delays--such as the books being shipped a day or so after the estimated date, or a snowstorm between Minnesota and Montana.

I'll post here about what's happening.

Thanks MD,I'll be waiting for the announcement.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
JB just read your article on the Burris FFII scopes in the RLN. I bought an E1 3-9 Plex several months ago then found out the "new" power ring was so large that medium DD rings were required to clear the bolt on my Rem 700. You seem to have some of both. Is the FFII enough smaller at the power ring to allow a lower mount? Do you see an improvement in the E1 over the older FFII in brightness, clarity or anything else? I'm seeing some good prices on the FFII with Ballistic Plex right now but want to buy the best model. Also, I'm not wild about the Ballistic Plex in the E1. Does not seem to go edge to edge. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks.

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yes, the power-ring on the E1 is large. The standard FFII does not have a power-ring; instead the entire eyepiece turns, so they can be mounted in lower rings.

Right now I only have one E1, which is on my .17 Hornet, used mostly for ground squirrel and prairie dog shooting, where dialing is more precise than using a ballistic reticle. I have never been able to see any difference in optical quality between the E1 and the standard models, but some people claim they can.

I am not crazy about the E1 BP reticle, much preferring the standard model.

John Steinbeck
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
That info makes my decision easy. Thanks.

One more question....in your brightness testing, how does the FFII at 6x compare to a Leupold FXII 6x36 or even an M8 6x36. Those two scopes are my best in low light but barely better than the Weaver K6x38. Wondering if the FFII is in the same ballpark.

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
They've rated right in the same range as 6x36 Leupolds, whether M8 or FXII, definitely above average but not super-bright. That said, I haven't had any trouble killing deer even in the latest legal light with 'em.

John Steinbeck
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Thanks again.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
537 members (10gaugeman, 222Sako, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 49 invisible), 2,576 guests, and 1,150 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,733
Posts18,401,021
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.