Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Any suggestions on solvent/oil to deal with surface rust? I've put on Kroil to see what that does overnight. thank you.

BP-B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
There is always some confusion as to what constitutes "surface rust". In general, any solvent which will remove rust will remove bluing. Removal of rust is, generally speaking, a mechanical operation. This is usually accomplished by using ultra fine steel wool but I have also used a piece of soft wood and some oil or solvent. Pretty hard to beat Hoppes #9 IMO. GD

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Frontier Big 45 Metal Cleaning Pad is your friend when it comes to removing surface rust, it will not remove bluing when used according to instructions. Try one you'll be amazed with the results, they're available on-line.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Bronze wool and oil.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Frontier Big 45 Metal Cleaning Pad is your friend when it comes to removing surface rust, it will not remove bluing when used according to instructions. Try one you'll be amazed with the results, they're available on-line.

Yup, can't beat the Big 45 pad for removing rust and leaving the blue alone.... I was a skeptic until someone on rimfirecentral convinced me to try it on a 69A I picked up on the cheap that had a bunch of rust spots on it. Cleaned that thing up clean as a whistle and left the remaining blue in amazing shape... and they are relatively cheap at around $6 shipped....
http://www.big45metalcleaner.com/

Bob

Last edited by Sheister; 11/30/19.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
A gunsmith acquaintance who served a formal apprenticeship in England for Gibbs, used unbleached coarse paper, like schoolkids use, and rendered lamb fat (that was after the ban on whale oil, which he preferred) to restore my LC Smith damascus which had gotten soaking wet in the case from a leaky ice chest over a period of two days. It was ugly, but he said not to worry, and it came out perfectly.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
thanks much guys. ruffedgrouse

W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
If it's light rust, steam it then wipe it down with a light oil.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Go to the dollar general store and you can buy that BIG 45 PAD for a couple of bucks and get 3 or maybe 4 of them at that price.. Same thing and they work great. Use some of your favorite oil and go slow and easy. wife says they used to be called "chore boys". Ray

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
For anyone who uses the copper scrubby pads, make sure they are pure copper and not copper plated.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What greydog said. "Removal of rust is, generally speaking, a mechanical operation. "

Red rust is softer than black rust (bluing) so the red rust, if truly on the surface, will come off faster. Some lesser amount of black rust will come off too. Just keep that in mind when picking what to scrub with.

If you find a chemical that will remove red rust without affecting black rust let me know, we'll both make millions. Or convert red rust back to a smooth black rust for that matter. No, boiling water won't change it back to the smooth coating it once was.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
A very gentle rubdown with Rem-Oil and 4-0 steel wool works well for me. Just don't get impatient and apply too much pressure- - - -it will also remove bluing if you get too energetic.
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
older pennys do a great job too, pre 70ish ones. Didn't believe it till I tried it. I've used that trick on stuff kroil and 000 wool wouldn't touch.

you can also steam it to hopefully turn it to black rust and then steel wool or card off.

Last edited by killerv; 12/02/19.
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Ray63
Go to the dollar general store and you can buy that BIG 45 PAD for a couple of bucks and get 3 or maybe 4 of them at that price.. Same thing and they work great. Use some of your favorite oil and go slow and easy. wife says they used to be called "chore boys". Ray

That Big 45 stuff does work well, but you're right, it's just a stainless steel scrubbing pad (I think some sort of 400 series stainless since it's magnetic). I haven't really used it much for rust, but it's great stuff for removing lead from a barrel; I quit using anything else after discovering that about 10 years ago. Even though it's stainless, I've never had it scratch a barrel or any other steel gun part.

For mechanical rust removal, I just use Kroil or WD-40 (IMO WD-40 works better) and fine steel wool, usually 0000 grade.

For chemical rust removal, anything that dissolves rust will dissolve bluing since they are almost the same thing. CLR works and is pretty gentle, and the purple cleaners (Castrol Super Clean, Purple Power, etc) also remove rust and bluing. Both of those work even better in an ultrasonic cleaner for small parts.

Last edited by Yondering; 12/02/19.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bronze wool.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
well, I usually don't go ahead and try something I'm not familiar with, but in this case I ordered one of those Frontier 45 pads. I must say I'm impressed. My son hadn't taken care of his M70: surface rust on barrel and floor plate. That pad did a really good job. If I were to show the gun now, I doubt anyone could see any signs of the surface rust: maybe if they turned the gun just right in the light, but even then, it is very, very limited. thanks for the suggestion.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 280shooter
Bronze wool.

That...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Frontier Big 45 Metal Cleaning Pads are just short of magic. They do a very good job of cleaning up bores too.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by killerv
older pennys do a great job too, pre 70ish ones. Didn't believe it till I tried it. I've used that trick on stuff kroil and 000 wool wouldn't touch.

you can also steam it to hopefully turn it to black rust and then steel wool or card off.

Pre-'83 are pure Cu.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Trick I learned from Sitka deer is to pour hot water over the location you are working on. Use cold blueing and a 3M scrub pad.
Works very well.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In my "admittedly limited" experience, the presence of red rust means the blueing is already corrupted.I have used mothers aluminum and mag polish to remove some level of corrosion. There is another brand in a toothpaste tube sold by fancy kitchen stores that seems to have a less aggressive grit in the paste.

Agree with greying too. Polishing is mechanical. But Fe+O>FeO is only reversible under conditions which don't support breathing.

Polishing compounds are just cutting grains immersed in a lubricant. (You can polish plastic headlights with toothpaste to De-cloud) so realistically you could mix a little baking soda in liquid wax and slowly polish away corrosion.

You could always buy some junk at a gun show and try different things.
I figured the above on a garage sale scope with good optics and ugly scabs.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have used a brass screw. Soft enough to not scratch steel or damage bluing, hard enough to remove rust. Something like 1.5" long or longer for the screw. Hold the near and lightly "saw" the rust area with the brass screw threads. Soak the rusty area first with something like Hoppe's, kerosene, Marvel mystery oil to soften the rust. Wipe down when done.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Steam it and wipe with bronze wool & oil.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Bronze wool and Kroil

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
kroil and 000 or 0000 steel wool, Pre1980ish pennys do a heck of a job too.

great video on a simple rust cleanup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2SyN6m39x4

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Free All is the very best penetrating oil I have ever tried, put something rusted in a rag and oil the heck out of it, let it sit for a week. Be amazed in how it penetrates and gets under the rust and lifts it off.

If you ever need help in getting off rusted on nuts and bolts, Free All will simply amaze you, and I have every super penetrating oil on the market I can find.

If you push a patch though a rifle barrel after shooting and let it set till you get home or a day or two later, the barrel will clean up much easier.

I don't work for Free All, just buy the stuff by the case.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
105 members (338reddog, 405joe, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 12 invisible), 1,388 guests, and 664 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,869
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.