-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I searched the forums for the topic but the search function turns up all kinds of irrelevant crap.

A friend has asked me for some guidance in building an AR15, which is something he has never done. I'm glad he asked...he's an experienced hunter, but really never payed much attention to guns themselves and knows little beyond buying the correct cartridge and hitting a deer, hog, or coyote in the right place.

Anyway, I went over to his house today and we sat at the computer and bookmarked web pages where good stuff can be had. I was suggesting the Larue MBT-2 trigger to him, so we pulled up the Larue website and I saw for the first time that there is a Larue single-stage trigger. I could be wrong, but when I looked at their site a couple of years ago (or was it last year??) I never noticed a single-stage trigger.

Any experiences with this trigger, good or bad?

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
It has been added within the past year or so. I have no experience with it. I'd also like to hear from someone who has.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I don't have any experience using them either but I was just looking at them online today. The pull weight of the single stage was 5.5 lbs. if I remember correctly. That seems a little heavy for a hunting trigger to me. The two stage trigger has approx that weight split up between the two stages so the second stage will break at around 2.5 lbs. I believe. That might be a little better for accuracy. The OP didn't say what his friend was wanting to use his AR for, though. I assumed for hunting.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just ordered one tonight but no idea when it'll actually get here. I'll post an opinion whenever it does.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JayJunem
The OP didn't say what his friend was wanting to use his AR for, though. I assumed for hunting.

That's because I was not thinking about asking for recommendations, just was curious about the new Larue trigger. But, since you brought it up recommendations are welcome.

I'm steering my friend toward either the Larue MBT-2 or a Jard single-stage adjustable.

In my opinion, the Larue is every bit as nice as a Geiselle 2-stage costing twice as much. I have two of each of them and like them very much, but when I pick up either of the rifles with the MBT-2s I never think to myself "I think I like the Geiselle better."

For single-stage, I love my Jard adjustable. It's a little more complex and takes some fiddling to get it adjusted, and it's very easy to achieve unwanted doubling if you don't follow the instructions that come with it...but once you get it set up right it is one sweet trigger. It is a bit on the spendy side, but not unreasonably so.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have one in my 5.56 and a Rock River 2 stage in a 6.8 SPC. Both are nice, but I think I have an ever so slight preference for the Larue. I also put a Larue in my son's AR-10 and it works great in that AR. If I build another AR, I will get another Larue trigger.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by RiverRider
The OP didn't say what his friend was wanting to use his AR for, though. I assumed for hunting.

That's because I was not thinking about asking for recommendations, just was curious about the new Larue trigger. But, since you brought it up recommendations are welcome.

I'm steering my friend toward either the Larue MBT-2 or a Jard single-stage adjustable.

In my opinion, the Larue is every bit as nice as a Geiselle 2-stage costing twice as much. I have two of each of them and like them very much, but when I pick up either of the rifles with the MBT-2s I never think to myself "I think I like the Geiselle better."

For single-stage, I love my Jard adjustable. It's a little more complex and takes some fiddling to get it adjusted, and it's very easy to achieve unwanted doubling if you don't follow the instructions that come with it...but once you get it set up right it is one sweet trigger. It is a bit on the spendy side, but not unreasonably so.

My opinion is that you more or less have to be a match shooter to appreciate a Geiselle at times. And that for just normal every day shooters La Rue or RRA might actually be a better choice in the end. Not that I prefer them but I can certainly live with them vs Geiselle, but I'd have G in every match gun we have right now if we were still active.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Larue is worth the money imho.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
I don't have any experience using them either but I was just looking at them online today. The pull weight of the single stage was 5.5 lbs. if I remember correctly.

I was reading about these recently too. Of the little bit of feedback I found, there were a number of comments about a lot of creep and the ~5.5 lb pull. Going by that and looking at the pics of this trigger (I've reworked a lot of triggers and have a good idea what I'm looking at), this seems to me more like a cleaned up mil-spec trigger rather than a nice crisp single stage that I'd expect from some other companies. I'm sure there are some people who'd be really happy with that, but I decided to pass on it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have the LaRue MBT-2 in my 6.5 Grendel build. My son has a CMC trigger in his Valkryie and prefers it over my LaRue. They were roughly the same price as well.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

275 members (2ndwind, 308xray, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 1_deuce, 10ring1, 35 invisible), 2,519 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,715
Posts18,457,060
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.