Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Anyone know anything about cameras around here? What would be a good camera for photographing wildlife? I would maybe like to find a good used camera to save $$$ from buying new. Are there any good places to find a quality used camera? I would like a camera that would be good in low light conditions and capable of adding high quality zoom lenses to get close ups of animals. I really don’t know much about photography at this point other than I always have enjoyed capturing pics of wildlife with my phone camera and really enjoy sharing pics with other people so it has me wanting to step up my game! It seems like it would be a great hobby.

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
BP-B2

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Probably some good ones on eBay

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I like canon products

how much willing to spend?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Take a look at the photography page , just below the Classifieds page!

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have zero advice as to what camera to buy or where to buy it, but my experience says to take an absurd amount of pictures, so make sure to get some big memory cards.

Chances are 1 out of 100 of your pictures will be magazine quality. Delete the rest. It seems like there's always a stick or grass in the way, an animal's head is turned wrong, or something is in the picture to take away the "quality". Chances are that by taking a shïtload of pictures, one will turn out really good.

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I have zero advice as to what camera to buy or where to buy it, but my experience says to take an absurd amount of pictures, so make sure to get some big memory cards.

Chances are 1 out of 100 of your pictures will be magazine quality. Delete the rest. It seems like there's always a stick or grass in the way, an animal's head is turned wrong, or something is in the picture to take away the "quality". Chances are that by taking a shïtload of pictures, one will turn out really good.

lucky if one out of fifty turns out really good

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’m not a camera person, but my wife dabbles in it. You asked about a camera good for low light. I think, low light has less to do with the camera than it does the lens. That leads to Ribka’s question of “how much are you willing to spend?” The sky is the limit.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by colodog

If someone wants to move this to the photography page I’m fine with that. Probably best place for it. Not sure why I didn’t post it there anyway? Don’t know what I was thinking ... lol.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
If you want to go Canon, shoot me your number because I have some gear you may be interested in.

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
As far as brand, Canon and Nikon are the two big players, for the most part. Leica is great stuff and their prices reflect that fact. If you're going to be using long focal length lenses for wildlife (almost a necessity) you're going to need a decent tripod. It's just like riflescopes: any movement is magnified. Low light? That means you need "fast" (read expensive) lenses. like any other hobby (think shooting) once you get beyond stuff that's just "good" and "acceptable" it's a real matter of diminishing returns with regard to the price:quality ratio.

Mathew 22: 37-39

IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by colodog

One of my favorite places to lurk. Lots of talented folks post there.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Ribka, what camera was used for the photos you posted above?

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Tough to beat the Sigma 150-600 for an entry level lens with some reach.
Source a used 1D3 or 4 and you’d be in the game for under $2k.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Ribka - I particularly like that mule deer photo!

Regards, Guy

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Picturing nature is a lot of fun indeed

Attached Images
squirrel-hands-up.jpeg (39.35 KB, 208 downloads)
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hitNpass
Picturing nature is a lot of fun indeed

[Linked Image]

Cool pic, a lot could be done with that pic.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It really boils down to budget and then intended use (lots of hiking or roll the window down).

Last edited by FAIR_CHASE; 12/01/19.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Mirrorless cameras are becoming more popular than DSLR. We have a whole generation of people who learned photography looking at the screen of a phone, and who don't care about having a viewfinder. Mirrorless cameras are lighter weight, and are less expensive to build. That said, I grew up looking through a viewfinder, and can't abide the mirrorless style. Choosing between those two is the first issue you need to resolve.

Christopher Frost has a YouTube channel where he reviews Canon lenses. If you go with Canon, before you plunk down coin for a lens, be sure to read his review of it. It will save you a ton of grief. You'll probably end up with more invested in lenses that in camera bodies.

Most of the cameras you're likely to consider will have an APS-C, or "cropped" sensor. The sensor is smaller than "standard". If you stick to highly rated lenses, the smaller sensor will put you at no disadvantage for image quality. If you cheap out on glass, the smaller sensor will show the shortcomings. On the plus side, with an APS-C sensor, you multiply the actual focal length of the lens by 1.6 to get the effective focal length, due to the cropping of the image. So your 250mm lens becomes 400mm. The bad news is that it's hard to get a really good very wide angle lens for APS-C.

250mm is probably the shortest focal length that will put you in the game. Longer is better, but weight, size, and especially cost escalate greatly beyond that point. I have a 100-400 which is better, but it stays home a lot because of weight.

If you want a Canon DSLR (which is what I shoot), take a look at the Canon T6i. It has a 24 Mpixel APS-C sensor, which is all you'll need. (The non-i version is only 18). It's an excellent value for money, and has all the features you'll really need.

Christopher Frost highly rates the Canon 55-250mm IS STM lens. I have two of them. They are very sharp, and they are easy to carry. Those can be had on eBay for around $125. I have two, because I found a nice used one on the local classifieds for $79. One goes in my big kit, which is for when I'm serious about something, and the other goes in my little quick kit, which is what I actually usually use the most. BTW, the Canon 70-300mm is a dog.

And yes, it is a lot of fun. We're just about to the point that the bald eagles will return, and I plan to be out at the bird refuge shooting pictures.

Last edited by denton; 12/01/19.

Be not weary in well doing.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My Fuji XT-2 mirrorless has a view finder. Wouldn't use a camera without it.

Last edited by SBTCO; 12/01/19.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
RickyBobby, A couple of years back I got a deal at Costco, was also about the same price at a local camera shop, on a Nikon D3400 with two lenses, bag, etc.
lenses were Nikor 18-55 and 75-300. Was about $500 at the time, not a bad deal with the two lenses. It takes what I consider decent "wildife" and other types of fotos:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I'm very happy with the results of my purchase. As someone mentioned, there's diminishing returns once one starts getting into the very good to excellent (and pricey stuff). Noticeable to some, not so noticeable to others. But, for someone just starting out, Canon or Nikon kits with a couple of lenses might just be the answer.

I'll let you decide if you want better quality than what I've gotten for the price.

Good luck with it, it's fun sometimes.

Geno

PS, wish I'd looked out my window earlier than I did this morning. Caught the last four of a small herd of antelope going by outside the fence. Could have got some nice shots if I'd had time to get the Nikon.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
170 members (12344mag, 160user, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 2UP, 300_savage, 16 invisible), 1,848 guests, and 853 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,783
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.