Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Only did "proper " break-in with the Swift. One and clean x 10, then five and clean x 2 for a full box of ammo. Ended up with two 10 shot 1 1/4" groups. Only shoots 1.8" groups at 350yds now. all the other rifles have been shot as JB describes and shoot very well. The Savage 10FCP-K started shooting minute of clay pigeon at 300yds from the get-go, and hasn't let up since.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I saw where one barrel maker said that breaking in was good for business, the customer would just order a new barrel a little bit sooner.

I just go over the barrel with JB and then shoot it. It has been close to 100% that still have some loose metal in them in spite of being oil flushed when chambering. I suspect any metal fines would be blown out ahead of the bullet but it is more a ritual now.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Barrel break in is a myth.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS

But so is knockdown power.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Well, it looks like the break in discussion has been covered, so I will answer your other question.

I have two good loads for my 6X45. One is a deer load, one is a coyote load.

The deer load is 25 grains of XBR-8208, a CCI-400 primer, and a Hornady 87 grain SSP, loaded to mag length (2.295").
My yote load is 25.5 grains of AR-Comp, a CCI-400 primer, and a Sierra 80 grain SSP (which are unfortunately discontinued), also loaded to mag length.

Both shoot very well in my Blackhole Weaponry barreled AR.

M
mart Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Butch,

I simply followed the builder's break in instructions, which were shoot three, pull a bore snake through that has some 0000 steel wool around the brush section and dressed with JB bore cleaner. Pull the bore snake through three time and follow it with a clean bore snake. At 60 I ran a few patches with some Wipe Out copper solvent. They came back clean. Same thing again at 90. Nice clean patches. I haven't had a lot of custom barrels or builds over the years so wanted to do this one according to the builder's direction. If nothing else than to tell him honestly, I followed his break in procedure in case the barrel doesn't shoot. I doubt that will be an issue. It's acting like it wants to shoot well.

HandgunHTR,

Thanks for the load recommendations. XBR-8208 was the first one that came to mind for me. I don't have any AR Comp yet.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
IC B2

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Break-in? Do you know what you are doing and why? What needs breaking in on a custom lapped barrel?
Only one thing-the throat has a little "fluff" from the chambering reamer. I use a quality bronze bore brush, wrap 0000 wool around it. Now get your trusty Makita hand drill and polish the throat for about 5 seconds. It is now broken in.

Yup. One of the pics I was about to post in my 20 Tac build thread:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Yondering; 11/27/19.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Break-in? Do you know what you are doing and why? What needs breaking in on a custom lapped barrel?
Only one thing-the throat has a little "fluff" from the chambering reamer. I use a quality bronze bore brush, wrap 0000 wool around it. Now get your trusty Makita hand drill and polish the throat for about 5 seconds. It is now broken in.

Yup. One of the pics I was about to post in my 20 Tac build thread:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Tact over the Pract ?

just curious ?

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
One of the great joys of the shooting sports is making everything more difficult than is necessary.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by tikkanut

Tact over the Pract ?

just curious ?

Yup. I've got a thread on that in the AR rifles section, and discuss briefly why most of the online comparisons of the two are flawed or at least outdated. Short answer though - with Hornady's 20 Tactical die set, forming 20 Tac from 223 is just one pass through the die and hardly any more effort than normal case sizing, and cases come out perfectly formed. No need to convert a bushing die and size down in multiple steps, and I can load large quantities starting with bulk 223 brass with no complications. That doesn't exist for 20 Practical as far as I know.

Last edited by Yondering; 11/27/19.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

I use 223 Redding FL bushing die with .227 bushing

Yes...I have .230" bushing in case of fat necks...WCC..Lake City

Make two passes....finish with .227

Also use a bushing neck die after cases formed & fired

Built my 20 Practical in 2007....throat is toast as we speak......'bout 9500 rds...

May have Pac Nor build another when back running

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by ingwe
Barrel break in is a myth.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS

But so is knockdown power.

P

BS George Foreman had knockdown power

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Several years ago a friend called and asked me if i would not mind doing a favor for him.

He had bought a custom rifle and they had much of the same things that needed to be done.

I said ok just bring enough ammo.

It was slow going till i hit their magic number,but was a hoot to shoot it after.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by 5sdad
One of the great joys of the shooting sports is making everything more difficult than is necessary.

Excellent post.

Break in...a premium hand lapped barrel?

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

My barrel break in regime consists of running a patch saturated with Hoppe’s No. 9 back and forth through the barrel a couple times before shooting the gun for the first time.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
My opinion is it is far more important to put your first 100 rounds down the tube with ammo that is loaded to less than 1 thou runout! If bullets are starting unevenly in the throat how does one expect to get an even wear pattern on the throat! That's the only so called "break in procedure" I do and have had great results.

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Trystan
My opinion is it is far more important to put your first 100 rounds down the tube with ammo that is loaded to less than 1 thou runout! If bullets are starting unevenly in the throat how does one expect to get an even wear pattern on the throat! That's the only so called "break in procedure" I do and have had great results.

Trystan

Interesting!

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by mart
Got my Accuracy Systems mini 14 back Saturday and got to the range today for the break in. I was bound and determined to follow their break in procedure. Arduous would be a good description. Shoot three. Clean. Shoot three. Clean. Repeat for 90 rounds. It was 15 degrees, gray, overcast and gloomy. Not my most fun day at the range, but it is done. Now I can start on some load development.

Anyone have a favorite accuracy load for a 6x45. I have a lot of load data for it, a plethora of powder choices and a bunch of different bullets from 58-85 grains. Just curious what some of your favorite combinations are with the 6x45.

Just curious, why not use "break in" shots as load development. I always do.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
"I always like to team up 'break-in' and load development, at the same time, kills two birds with one stone."

Bighorn, that's what it do as well--unless the rifle is "pre-owned," so I assume it's been shot enough to be broken-in.

Will also note that I have talked to more than one gunsmith and even barrel-maker who made up some sort of break-in technique just to give to customers who insisted that they wanted to break in their barrel "properly." The smiths and barrel makers grew weary of telling such customers that they could just go shoot their rifle, finding it a lot easier to provide a break-in routine. They got more work done, and the customers convinced that break-in was absolutely necessary could waste their time instead.

Interestingly enough over years of playing the games, I noticed accuracy between broken in and not, was not enough different to tell a trend. OTOH some of the non broken in tubes fouled noticeably. While broken in ones never fouled to the same level.

I'm not sure that any of it matters as I'm kind of in the park that once you get to level X of fouling you can't get worse basically. Carbon has to be dealt with though. But copper not so much.

That said there is ultra bore coat or whatever the name is these days....of which I'm a FIRM believer in.

I am a believer too that it takes some number of rounds to get settled in for best accuracy to start.. in my mind that number was around 100 or a bit more and the tubes usually had made us happy.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
mart Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by mart
Got my Accuracy Systems mini 14 back Saturday and got to the range today for the break in. I was bound and determined to follow their break in procedure. Arduous would be a good description. Shoot three. Clean. Shoot three. Clean. Repeat for 90 rounds. It was 15 degrees, gray, overcast and gloomy. Not my most fun day at the range, but it is done. Now I can start on some load development.

Anyone have a favorite accuracy load for a 6x45. I have a lot of load data for it, a plethora of powder choices and a bunch of different bullets from 58-85 grains. Just curious what some of your favorite combinations are with the 6x45.

Just curious, why not use "break in" shots as load development. I always do.

I normally would with a bolt gun. And looking back at this I probably should have done the same but this was my first custom on a Mini 14 and the first time getting a rifle from Accuracy Systems. They have been great to deal with and I have no complaints with their service or the quality of their work. As I stated earlier, I elected to follow their break in procedure to the letter so if there was any problem that cropped up (which I don't expect will happen), I could honestly say I followed their procedure to the letter. But with a shoot three and clean protocol, it's tough to do any substantive load development when every first shot is from a clean bore.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I had AS "Accurize" my last Mini-14. The problem I had was POI change between the first "manually" loaded round and the subsequent rounds fired "rifle action" loaded from magazine function. Example: get set up, insert a magazine, pull bolt to the rear, release. Fire, round hits 6" high 3" right. Next rounds all hit at POA, nicely clustered, and worthless for coyote hunting! frown Bugged me no end. Its a peculiar trait of almost all semi-autos, even M1As. Not all, just the few you really want to use for first round hits!!! Arrgh.

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 12/02/19.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (02bfishn, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 16penny, 57 invisible), 2,396 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,222
Posts18,466,471
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.