Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Last March at the Bozeman, Montana gunshow I ran across a new in the box, unfired, Ruger American Varmint in 22 L.R
This is the heavy blued steel model with laminated gray stock.
The fella that bought it had purchased it for a grandson - and that did not go over well it seems. So I took advantage of the great cash price he offered and no paperwork.
I have been double busy this year and did not get it scoped up and to the range til a dead calm day late last week.
I scoped this Rifle earlier last week with an under-powered (in my mind) Leupold 2x7 variable rimfire model.
I used the rather pricey Burris insert rings ($46.00!) on this rig!
Anyway off to my friends private range I go on the next windless day.
I took five brands/styles of hollowpoint Hunting type ammo to test along with me.
I was hoping the Rifle would like the Federal 36 grain bulk pack hollowpoint ammunition that I have a lifetime supply of - it DID NOT!
The first three five shot groups at 50 yards I made with this ammunition measured 1.25" to 1.50" there at 50 yards.
I was beginning to worry - this was not pleasing performance to me at all - and not up to the norm I have had with other Rifles and this ammunition.
The trigger on this Ruger American Varmint is excellent as it came from the factory and I wanted to use this affordable and lethal Federal ammo on small game and Varmints come next year - small disappointment.
I decided to try my next most favored ammunition (for small game and Varmints) next - which was the Winchester 40 grain Power-Points that speed out at 1,280 F.P.S..
This ammo is much more expensive than the Federal stuff and I only use it in my higher dollar heavy barrel rimfire Varminters and a couple of heavy barrel pistols.
I shot a few rounds at rocks to "foul" (settle down - season) the barrel for this particular ammo, then shot my first group with it. That group (5 shots at 50 yards) measured .482" - and to tell the truth that is about as well as I can "hold" with a 7 power scope anymore.
I tried two more 5 shot groups and was very pleased with those groups as well as they were just at and just under .500"!
Last thing I did was adjust the point of impact to be exact with point of aim there at 50 yards.
I then obliterated the 1/4" blaze orange aiming dot, with 4 shots, and called that "good enough".
I was so pleased with the Winchester 40 grain Power-Points and the trigger, handling, function (flawless feeding, extracting and ejecting) of this Rifle that I decided to not even test the other 3 types of hollow-point ammunition I had brought along.
I took the Rifle home and wiped her down, fully not expecting to shoot it til next spring, but what pops up later that afternoon but a flying black and white nest robbing Varmint in my yard! The Ruger American made "short work" of that pest at 40 yards or so!
The current "store price" I see for these heavy barrel Varmint model Ruger Americans is right at $400.00 and I consider that a bargain for what you get - in today's marketplace!
I could find NO flaw in function, feel, appearance or the accuracy of this nifty little Rifle.
This model has the threaded shorter (stubby) 18" barrel and from using it's big brother (in 17 HMR) for the last two years I know this rig will be handy to use and works well on those occasion's I will be shooting from the cab of the VarmintMobile.
It almost goes without saying that Rugers ten shot flush fitting rotary magazine that comes with this Rifle is the best rimfire magazine system in existence!
For anyone looking for an accurate handy handsome and having a great trigger Rifle in 22 L.R. I highly recommend the Ruger American Rimfire Varmint.
Good luck if you decide to try one.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

'If you say the parent you were most afraid when you were a kid was your dad, you grew up in the city.'
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have that same rifle. I got mine from CDNN during a Ruger demo sale. I want to say I paid right around 300. The polished bluing on this gun makes it very appealing. I just checked my notes from my only range session with it. It was a windy day but trying to time my shots with lulls in the wind I punched out several .4 inch 5 shot groups with it using Eley Practice. None of the other 3 brands that I tried did very well at all.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Agree on the 2-7; I can use a few more Xs myself. Like to find another Bushnell Trophy XLT 4-12 AO like the one on my CZ especially at the price I paid when I got it. Might have to go eBay.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Pappy, the Burris Droptines at Natchez are a very good deal. I bought 2. Free shipping over the Black Friday week. https://outdoors.natchezss.com/search?w=droptine

IC B2

F
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
F
Appreciate the write-up and eval. I'm very interested in the RAR and have been looking at the Predator model, which I think is similar to the rifle you have.

Comparing that to a CZ 455 stainless that Bud's currently has for ~$300.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/24826

Decisions, decisions...

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Frayser
Appreciate the write-up and eval. I'm very interested in the RAR and have been looking at the Predator model, which I think is similar to the rifle you have.

Decisions, decisions...

You aren't likely to have QC issues with the CZ. You are with the Ruger.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Frayser

Decisions, decisions...

go with the CZ. i have many CZ rimfires and they all shoot well. and at $300 clams for a 455 stainless well, thats a no brainer. i paid prolly close to $400 for my 455 stainless when i heard CZ was phasing them out as i wanted the stainless american profile barrel in 22lr to thread and subsequently purchased a stainless 17hmr barrel to go with it. i'm in the middle of testing to see if they are worthy of chopping and threading for use with a suppressor.
Big Ed

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Frayser: The CZ's are rightfully noted for their accuracy.
So far my Ruger American Rimfire Varmint is shooting quite well though.
The CZ also is "known" for it's bassackwards safety - that is/was a big drawback for me and MANY others.
You also have to deal with the hang down (protruding) magazines on the CZ where the Ruger magazine is flush fitting and more conducive to impromptu and steady firing positions.
I much prefer the 10 round, flush fitting, EXCEPTIONALLY reliable, magazines used in the Ruger American - for rapid firing and or high volume shooting the Ruger magazines are far superior to the CZ.
And I need this feature.
The CZ's hang down magazine holds 5 (five!) rounds only.
There were/are NO quality control issues with this Ruger American Rimfire Varmint of mine nor with the two other Ruger American Rimfire models I own.
Best of luck to you with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Pappy, the Burris Droptines at Natchez are a very good deal. I bought 2. Free shipping over the Black Friday week. https://outdoors.natchezss.com/search?w=droptine

Thanks, but it'll have to wait until after Christmas. I've been a very bad boy lately; despite all my efforts a totally unneccessary 9mm is on its way. I just wish I could figure out how it happens.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Frayser: The CZ's are rightfully noted for their accuracy.
So far my Ruger American Rimfire Varmint is shooting quite well though.
The CZ also is "known" for it's bassackwards safety - that is/was a big drawback for me and MANY others.
You also have to deal with the hang down (protruding) magazines on the CZ where the Ruger magazine is flush fitting and more conducive to impromptu and steady firing positions.
I much prefer the 10 round, flush fitting, EXCEPTIONALLY reliable, magazines used in the Ruger American - for rapid firing and or high volume shooting the Ruger magazines are far superior to the CZ.
And I need this feature.
The CZ's hang down magazine holds 5 (five!) rounds only.
There were/are NO quality control issues with this Ruger American Rimfire Varmint of mine nor with the two other Ruger American Rimfire models I own.
Best of luck to you with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I agree with you on all points, as I've owned the RAR rimfire rifles. They are very good for the money. I'd almost go as far as comparing them to the more expensive 77/22's. The infamous Ruger rotary magazine is a huge selling point for me and a lot of other guys I know. My buddy has had a CZ for a while now and it has had issues. He's threatened to send it back to CZ for repair, but never does. Because of his issues with CZ, I sway away from them and when looking for an accurate rimfire rifle, I look at the savage's or RAR's.. The Savage, especially, bring a lot to the table when talking accuracy and economy...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Bsa1917hunter: I own a pair of Ruger 77/22's (Varmint heavy barrel and a boat paddle model) along with a pair of the Ruger American Rimfires in 22 L.R. (one the full Varmint model as described above and the other is a semi-heavy barrel that has been placed in a custom Varmint stock).
The accuracy from all four is very pleasing to me!
ONLY... because I have had it longer and shot it more (at the range and afield) I would give the accuracy edge (but just a slight edge!) to the Ruger 77/22 V/T - it has a Weaver V-16 (4 to 16 power variable with fine crosshair and fine dot reticle) scope on it - which may also be a reason it is more "accurate"? The most power on my other 3 Ruger bolt action 22's is a 4x12 variable.
For the money, I absolutely agree - the features on the Ruger American Rimfire makes it an absolute great deal!
Those features include the adjustable accura-trigger, the pleasing length (and efficient!) of the heavy barrel, the well designed laminated stock and the wonderful rotary magazines.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
One of the pluses for me is a Ruger rotory magazine that has been converted for .22 shorts. It handles the CB shorts very nicely. Though short range, they aren't much louder than some pellet guns and don't require a stamp. They'll shoot through a squirrel head most of the time which gives the results I'm after.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T_O_M
One of the pluses for me is a Ruger rotory magazine that has been converted for .22 shorts. It handles the CB shorts very nicely. Though short range, they aren't much louder than some pellet guns and don't require a stamp. They'll shoot through a squirrel head most of the time which gives the results I'm after.

Tell me more about that magazine.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Varmintguy it would be interesting to try those Federal rounds one more time. More than likely it will yield the same results but perhaps there was some breaking in that was needed on that rifle. They may not ever shoot 1/2” for you but maybe shoot better than originally shot. Hopefully we’ll enough to use. Nice write up, can’t wait to read the continued story next time out.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bulk is bulk, and despite occasional lots doing better, it's plagued by flyers that spoil groups, and might make you miss shots in the field at times. Even better grade ammo suffers from inconsistencies. 'Twas ever thus, and ever shall be. I buy new stuff to try pretty regularly, and have a pal that buys by the case, and the verdict is in: if you want consistent good accuracy, the answer lies in your wallet. Bulk has its place certainly, but for me that's in my handguns where my "ability" matches the performance. Some specialty loads like Stingers and Velociters remain useful for their killing ability, and like other CCI stuff, their reliability.

After years of supply problems, there are some great deals on good quality ammo from places like SGAmmo, so decent stuff is within anyone's reach. When my little pile of bulk stuff is gone, I'm done with it, if only because of the misfires, which have been pretty common with the Federal "maroon box", and in multiple guns. The 1435fps Winchester HPs also misfired a lot, maybe just the batch I bought, but I'm not throwing more money down that rathole hoping for better.

As to the RAR, I like my .17M2, but the accuracy is just so-so thus far. Have more ammo to try, but if it doesn't get better after 500 rounds or so, it's a goner. Maybe a .22 SS varmint model will take its place.

What fresh Hell is this?
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
JimHnStl: Good point - I have SO many of the Federal 36 grain bulk pack bullets and they are so affordable and do so well afield (lethality) that I would love to use them in my RAR Varmint!
Yes indeed I became aware of the need to "settle in" (some call it "seasoning") a 22 L.R.'s barrel when new and or going from one ammunition type to another for accuracy comparisons.
I have a friend, by the way, out in "taxington" (washington!) who contacted me late Thursday night with news that the "Bi-Mart" chain stores were having a Black Friday sale on 1,100 packs of this Federal ammo for $39.95 and if you bought two of the 1,100 packs you got an extra $25.00 off!
So those CampFirers out "Bi-Mart" way (taxington and Oregon?) may want to check on these "bargains"?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (1936M71, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 10ring1, 51 invisible), 2,280 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,550
Posts18,453,577
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.