Campfire Tracker
B

looking for self defense knife....thoughts on behind the back option......bob

BP-B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Mine is a sp101 federal, less than that is my wrestling and street skills...

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by BobMt

Can you give us more detail on what you are looking for?

Size
Factory
Custom

When you say behind the back option are you referring to belt carry or over the shoulder?

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A big ass Bowie. 🤠

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
brtbladeworks (Ben Tendick) would most likely be my first go to guy for a stout fixed blade fighter. https://brtbladeworks.com

A Phill Hartsfield would be pretty high up there as well. But he is no longer with us and I believe his son has slowed down or stopped making. So it would be second hand market.

Ernest Emerson would be very high on my list for a folder.

RJ Martin would be just as high on my list.

If you want bling then I could recommend that too but sounds like you are looking for a workhorse fighter.

IC B2

B
BobMt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B

mch….belt carry...and you are right,workhorse….nothing fancy... size wise don't want a big assed knife...thanks for the recommendations...bob

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
4" to 6" Kwaiken would be my pick as far as blade design goes. I would most likely go chisel ground as well.

Let us know what you end up going with.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Clinchpick or similar, they are designed to be worn in front near the centerline. See ShivWorks for some useful info.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I like my Benchmade infidel OTF automatic for self defense

Sam......

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
What characteristics make for a 'self defense knife' ?

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
[Linked Image from i.etsystatic.com]

'If you say the parent you were most afraid when you were a kid was your dad, you grew up in the city.'
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Bud Nealy is a knifemaker that has a line of SD blades, and offers 3 position sheaths with them.

http://www.budnealyknifemaker.com/

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Fubarski
Bud Nealy is a knifemaker that has a line of SD blades, and offers 3 position sheaths with them.

http://www.budnealyknifemaker.com/

Bud has some great designs. His Pesh-Kabz being my favorite.

Hard to get horned up over CPM 154, I wish he would venture into better steels.

Edited Dam auto correct

Last edited by MontanaCreekHunter; 12/03/19.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by longarm
What characteristics make for a 'self defense knife' ?

That would depend on your style of fighting with a knife and your style of grip. I am a fan of the Filipino Grip. In my opinion the Tanto/Kwaiken is the most versatile design there is in a fighting knife. It can be used very effectively using a variety of grips and fighting styles.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bad idea bringing a knife to a gun fight...

Coyotes shot no waiting.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by GRIZZ

This is true.

However in some cases it is the only option. Also a Plan B is never a bad idea. Learning to fight with every weapon you can puts you a head of the rest, and light years a head of the majority of criminals. Can you take down a criminal with a pen from your seat on an airplane? I know 100% you can not with a knife or a gun!

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

This is true.

However in some cases it is the only option. Also a Plan B is never a bad idea. Learning to fight with every weapon you can puts you a head of the rest, and light years a head of the majority of criminals. Can you take down a criminal with a pen from your seat on an airplane? I know 100% you can not with a knife or a gun!

So you've actually taken down a criminal on an airplane from your seat with a pen?

'If you say the parent you were most afraid when you were a kid was your dad, you grew up in the city.'
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Girlhunter

This is true.

So you've actually taken down a criminal on an airplane from your seat with a pen?

No I have not. But I train for every situation. Your Life Your Fight. You decided how prepared you want to be when and if that time arises. It is no different than training for anything else in life, it all comes down to what you want to be good at and how good you want to be. I also practice my butt off on chandelles and Battue's, yet in 35 years of hunting have yet to see a real bird fly like either of those! So do you bring anything of merit to the conversation or are you just trying to stir the pot? My example is to get people that honestly have an interest in personal defense to thinking outside of the box. It could save their life or someone else's one day.

Last edited by MontanaCreekHunter; 12/04/19.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

This is true.

No I have not. But I train for every situation. Your Life Your Fight. You decided how prepared you want to be when and if that time arises. It is no different than training for anything else in life, it all comes down to what you want to be good at and how good you want to be. I also practice my butt off on chandelles and Battue's, yet in 35 years of hunting have yet to see a real bird fly like either of those! So do you bring anything of merit to the conversation or are you just trying to stir the pot? My example is to get people that honestly have an interest in personal defense to thinking outside of the box. It could save their life or someone else's one day.

Compelling, thanks.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
The OP didn't give us much information. Why he needs the knife (instead of a gun)? Where he's going to be? Etc. To use the old cliché--the best defensive knife is the one that you have on you. There aren't many places that you can carry a full size knife and not carry a firearm.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by UPhiker
The OP didn't give us much information. Why he needs the knife (instead of a gun)? Where he's going to be? Etc. To use the old cliché--the best defensive knife is the one that you have on you. There aren't many places that you can carry a full size knife and not carry a firearm.

I didn't see anywhere in the OP's post that he said in lieu of. However seeing we know where about the OP lives you are correct there aren't to many places that carrying a gun isn't an option. There can be other reasons behind carrying a knife over a gun.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Most of the time I just carry an Ontario RAT 1. Decent all-arounder that you aren't afraid to use.

I do have a few knives more along the lines of close in defensive use. The karambits can have a lot of fancy moves, but also very effective with gross motor skills, like punching, slashing, and hammer fist blows.

top to bottom,

Gerber Guardian
Spyderco Military
Ontario EOD
Derespina Chiroptera Karambit

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

B
BobMt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B

I didn't see anywhere in the OP's post that he said in lieu of. However seeing we know where about the OP lives you are correct there aren't to many places that carrying a gun isn't an option. There can be other reasons behind carrying a knife over a gun.

right mch…...I need to check the laws here in mt.…..thinking post office....banks ...etc....know no guns...need to check size of knives......also, why not have.. as you said basically another option......bob

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Most of the time I just carry an Ontario RAT 1. Decent all-arounder that you aren't afraid to use.

I do have a few knives more along the lines of close in defensive use. The karambits can have a lot of fancy moves, but also very effective with gross motor skills, like punching, slashing, and hammer fist blows.

top to bottom,

Gerber Guardian
Spyderco Military
Ontario EOD

Does Ontario make any tactical pencils? Thanks from a frequent flyer.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
No idea.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

top to bottom,

Gerber Guardian
Spyderco Military
Ontario EOD

No Ontario doesn't. Most companies stick to pens.

Here are a few pretty well knowns that do make pens

Zero Tolerance, Schrade, Gerber, Surefire, Boker, 5.11, Cold Steel, Benchmade, Smith and Wesson, and CRKT. A long with a bunch of custom makers as well. I am sure you could get a custom in pencil form.

B
BobMt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B

a pencil would be better than a pen.....the tip would "break away" like a nosler partition….leaving the main body to plow forward..

an added benefit ….the lead tip left inside could deliver the " death blow" via poisoning in 25 to 30 years.....with no trace of foul play...bob

Last edited by BobMt; 12/15/19.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

a pencil would be better than a pen.....the tip would "break away" like a nosier partition….leaving the main body to plow forward..

an added benefit ….the lead tip left inside could deliver the " death blow" via poisoning in 25 to 30 years.....with no trace of foul play...bob

smile smile smile smile

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I would like to think my Zero Tolerance 0456bw or 0562ti would be up to the task!

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

top to bottom,

Gerber Guardian
Spyderco Military
Ontario EOD

No Ontario doesn't. Most companies stick to pens.

Here are a few pretty well knowns that do make pens

Zero Tolerance, Schrade, Gerber, Surefire, Boker, 5.11, Cold Steel, Benchmade, Smith and Wesson, and CRKT. A long with a bunch of custom makers as well. I am sure you could get a custom in pencil form.

Grin

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by RickyBobby
I would like to think my Zero Tolerance 0456bw or 0562ti would be up to the task!

You know the saying, It's not the arrow it's the Indian! Same with the knife. Any knife can be made to work in the hands of a skilled user.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I worked in the Philippines for just under two years on three islands. With my interest in knives I was lucky to be able to study daga/baraw (name dependent on island) the majority of the time I was there, reaching "bihasa"...roughly "master".

I carry a talonite Rob Simonich Bitterroot 'round my neck (same knife I wore in the PI) and a Tom Krein TK-4 Mini Bowie in CPM 3V in a kydex sheath with tek-lok small of back just as you are asking...

And:

If faced with a knife fight would either run like hell, or pull my 26...

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

right mch…...I need to check the laws here in mt.…..thinking post office....banks ...etc....know no guns...need to check size of knives......also, why not have.. as you said basically another option......bob

It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to ask permission. smile

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a good friend who is a former Navy SEAL who served in Vietnam. He said he carried a Gerber Mark II fighting knife. He said it worked quite well for him. He also said a knife collector who collected Vietnam memorabilia offered him a great deal of money for it along with a picture of him in Vietnam with the Gerber on his pistol belt. My friend turned him down as it meant a great deal to him.

Might work for the o.p.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Journeyman

I worked in the Philippines for just under two years on three islands. With my interest in knives I was lucky to be able to study daga/baraw (name dependent on island) the majority of the time I was there, reaching "bihasa"...roughly "master".

I carry a talonite Rob Simonich Bitterroot 'round my neck (same knife I wore in the PI) and a Tom Krein TK-4 Mini Bowie in CPM 3V in a kydex sheath with tek-lok small of back just as you are asking...

And:

If faced with a knife fight would either run like hell, or pull my 26...

Anyone that wants to be in a knife fight is just a stupid SOB! You are 10 steps ahead of the majority with your training. You have also learned the more important thing, try to avoid at all cost. At least if you are ever in the position of having to fight, you have a solid foundation.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
In a knife fight, you don't get cut if you know what you are doing. The idea is to cut the other guy and not get cut yourself. Seems obvious when you think about it.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by sharpsguy
In a knife fight, you don't get cut if you know what you are doing. The idea is to cut the other guy and not get cut yourself. Seems obvious when you think about it.

This post clearly shows that you have never been in a knife fight, you have never trained for knife fighting, and well I'll leave it at that!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Big difference between cutting someone, and being in a knife fight.

About the difference between a sucker punch,
And a good old toe to toe slugfest.

Except the damage is a bit worse than a broken nose and "coon eyes".

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by sharpsguy

I think I get what you're saying, Bill. I have your book and stuff by James Keating, Fred Perrin, classic Rex Applegate, etc...

My take re "self defense" vs "combat" is that the idea of knife fighting as a duel where you square away and have at it like in the movies is rather fantastic if not quixotic.

I've stood in more than one kali or krav maga session where with paint sticks being used to simulate edged weapons some very well trained guys ended up with way more ink on them than I'd care to endure as real cuts. So, personally part of "if you know what you are doing" would include the option of getting the hell out. I would fight if there was no other option, but damn sure wouldn't do that trading cuts bs 'til both guys look like zombies. My first teacher stressed only take a cut if you deliver a kill.

That's not even getting in to the legal issues that would inevitably ensue in many locales.

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
668 members (12344mag, 12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 75 invisible), 2,683 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,614
Posts18,398,421
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.