Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Hatari, Crow hunter, Orange Okie, Alamosa et al: Glad you all enjoyed it!
I have been so busy chasin guns and finishing Hunting season I have not got back to see the movie a second time.
Looks like maybe Monday (December 2nd) I have an opening to see it again on the big screen.
I am not letting much of the "cat out of the bag" but the opening scene in the Ford assembly plant with all the Ford Falcons being assembled just amazed me - it was the predecessor scene that gave me a clue to what a superb movie this was/is!
Can't wait to see it again.
Again I am glad many of the Firers here enjoyed the flick.
Varooom!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by hatari

Tom Cruise?

Be for real❗️😉

Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle
Wasn’t as good as Days of Thunder......

Haha!

I know right? It was basically “Top Car”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can’t watch ANYTHING with Tom Cruise.🤮🤮🤮🤮

He is too me what Hanoi Jane was to my Dad

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I saw it.

I was interested in the various period vehicles used in the shots. Never had heard of Ken Miles before. Effectively he was in the equivalent of the Army Reserve (Territorial Army) until DDay.

Long odds against a British Tank Commander (or ANY tank commander) going ashore on Normandy, I’d like to know more about his wartime career.

I dunno what age race drivers commonly peak but doing the racing that he was doing in his 40’s (he was born in 1918) seems impressive.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
There are historical inaccuracies in the movie, but it is an EXCELLENT film.

IC B2

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
I saw it.

I was interested in the various period vehicles used in the shots. Never had heard of Ken Miles before. Effectively he was in the equivalent of the Army Reserve (Territorial Army) until DDay.

Long odds against a British Tank Commander (or ANY tank commander) going ashore on Normandy, I’d like to know more about his wartime career.

I dunno what age race drivers commonly peak but doing the racing that he was doing in his 40’s (he was born in 1918) seems impressive.

Limited info on Ken Miles: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Miles

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted by Redneck
I definitely wanna see it.. As soon as it comes out on DVD or streaming I'll watch it.. But will never go to some movie theater.. Gave up on those about 30 years ago..

B
Oh, see it on the Big Screen. Seriously.

Spend a few bucks and see it in the theater will full sound and BIG screen

Worth it

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
L
LJB Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I had never heard of Ken Miles before. What a story. His legacy deserves much respect; as much as Lauda, Senna, Foyt, Mclaren, etal.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Made a pot of Carroll Shelby's Original Texas Chili tonight I was so inspired. Still my favorite mix. Carroll said it was ok to add beans so phouc all you chili snobs!

smile smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Saw it on the Big screen.

Good movie except for the truth.

And I wonder if Shelby really made that deal before Daytona ...........

The things that happened in 64 he said happened in 65.
Heck. They skipped 64 altogether

But it was made for the masses.

Like the movie Pearl Harbor.......the truth be dammed

Last edited by 257_X_50; 12/01/19.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was thoroughly entertained.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Made a pot of Carroll Shelby's Original Texas Chili tonight I was so inspired. Still my favorite mix. Carroll said it was ok to add beans so phouc all you chili snobs!

smile smile

smile

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by DocRocket
I wonder where Starman takes a leak if he doesn't have somebody's cornflakes to pizz in... just wondering...

I'm thinking he don't mind pizz in his own cornflakes. May enjoy it. I have no idea why someone gives two hoots what he thinks.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Took the wife to see it last night. Both of us enjoyed it a lot. Just curious how factual the story was. Anyone know?

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
CaribouJack: I am so glad you and the Mrs. enjoyed the movie. I have been wondering the same thing as you - now that the Big Game season is over here in Montana I plan on spending some time researching this and the main characters portrayed in the movie.
I am seeing the movie again tonight on "the big screen" - have to travel 65 miles (each way!) but its worth it!
Can't wait.
VaaaRRRrrrooooom!.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
Took the wife to see it last night. Both of us enjoyed it a lot. Just curious how factual the story was. Anyone know?

As I have known the story for years, it is fairly accurate. Ford wanted to get into GT racing to promote the Mustang and the Pony cars. Ford was all into "Win on Sunday sell on Monday" with NASCAR so LeMans was the next logical entry.

Shelby had already been racing his Cobras and the Daytona Coupe, which was why Ford approached him. Ferrari was hurting for money. Enzo Ferrari was passionate about racing and only built cars to allow him to race. Most models had only enough production numbers for "homologation". Enzo was all about racing and was passionate and egotistical about it.

Ford offered to buy all of Ferrari's holdings, but Enzo wanted to keep control of Ferrari racing. Ford wouldn't go with that, so deal was off and FIAT bought Ferrari production cars and Enzo kept control of racing division.

Henry Ford II was proported to be an egotistical prick that surounded himself with Yesmen. Ford II was into the good life of win, women, and racing. He took it as a personal affront when Ferrari told him to buzz off.

The first year at LeMans Fords were running very well but did all retire with transmission troubles. That lead to the design of the "top loader" transmission that they used in in not only the GT 40 but Mustang GT and drag cars. It is indestructible. Yes, Ford did finish 1-2-3 and yes, Ken Miles did get screwed out of the victory becasue of it. The story I read years ago was that the French agreed to Miles being the victor when Ford asked if they could stage the photo op, then with a few laps to go renigged on there promise and Bruce McClaren was declare the winner.

Yes. the phot finish was Leo Beebe's idea. I'm not sure he was as big of jerk as they make him out in the movie. Beebe made sure Shelby and the boys got all of Ford's resources to build that car.

Ken Miles was a hell of a driver, but so was Bruce McClaren and Dan Gurney, Chris Amon and Denny Hulme and Dick Hutcherson. This movie focused on Miles but there were other very talented drivers.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

smile smile

I'm a fan of Carroll's chili mix too and you'd better believe I add beans, two types of them as a matter of fact!

Half the satisfaction is sitting on the couch farting for the next three hours

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Made a pot of Carroll Shelby's Original Texas Chili tonight I was so inspired. Still my favorite mix. Carroll said it was ok to add beans so phouc all you chili snobs! smile smile

That's the only Chili seasoning I use, and yes I add beans!!! Carroll said so!!!

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
-Mark Twain
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ken Miles was a hell of a driver, but so was Bruce McClaren and Dan Gurney, Chris Amon and Denny Hulme and Dick Hutcherson. This movie focused on Miles but there were other very talented drivers.

There is a lot more to the story but this is a compelling part of it and very well told. The recent Midway movie is a disaster (partially) because it couldn't focus and tell a segment of a compelling story. That is one thing they did really well in FvF. They picked an important part of the story and then fully developed it and the characters. There is certainly more to be told.

Did anyone else notice the very small segment about the wooden wedges? The plan was to wedge the springs to meet the 40" height for the rules and at the first road bump or unloading of the suspension they would fall out and the car would settle down to a more optimum height. http://fordauthority.com/2016/06/meet-the-original-ford-gt40-crew-video/. There are LOTS of little things that were done but to include them would have cluttered a well told tale.

I'm looking forward to the DVD - I'm sure it's going to have some great deleted scenes and behind the story type of stuff.

(and also a fan of Shelby's chili mix. I've tried a lot and tried to make my own and have to admit it's just darn good)

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The story about McClaren's car being sponsored by Firestone and Mile's car being sponsored by Goodyear (Shelby was the Goodyear west United States distributor (and where he really made money)) is also interesting. The Firestones didn't last and McClaren demanded a shift to Goodyears - and finished the raise on them. They kept that pretty quiet. I still have an old McClaren driving suit patch (with the kiwi).

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

101 members (300jimmy, 10Glocks, 41rem, 300_savage, 264mag, 11 invisible), 1,431 guests, and 817 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,175
Posts18,465,441
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.