Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I understand the statistical fallacy of overly depending on three shot groups. I recently found a load that really shoots in my Bobby Hart built 7-08, M-700..

140 gr. SGK HPBT over 42.5 gr. Varget, W/W brass and Fed 210 primers. Three (3) shot groups and not on the same day. They were .27", .4", and .64" for an aggregate of .48" for the nine shots. Not a 10 shot group, but close. Shot these groups on an improvised 4 wheeler bench. Will post pictures one of these days. Handy rig.

So, one could conclude this gun likes that load. It also does well (sub MOA) with 120 NBT's and 150 NPT's, but for some reason does not like 140 NPT's (2"),.

I've never killed a deer with a Sierra Gameking HPBT, but plan to do so if I get the chance. I hear they perform well. Will report.

Rifle weighs 7# 14 oz as shown in a Hunters Edge. Hart barrel has Rem sporter contour and is 23". Timney 501, Conquest 3-9x40 with elevation turret. I've posted this one before. This is currently my favorite deer rifle.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
A fine shooting rig for sure!

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Nice rifle...not too light, but still an easy carry.
Bob

Last edited by RGK; 12/01/19.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Nice deer rifle!!! I have zero issue with 3 shot groups for a big game rifle. Once you shoot a good number of them over a period of weeks or months you get the full picture of where your rifle puts the first 3 shots. I've never uses more than 2 shots on a game animal in over 25 years

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Anytime you can keep um under a half inch with a deer rifle.
Your doin good
Looks like a well thought out practical tool to get the job done.
Very nice.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by RGK
Nice rifle...not too light, but still an easy carry.
Bob

Thanks guys.

It handles and feels lighter than the scale weight. It's just heavy enough to hold steady and not be whippy, but light enough for easy carry. With a light weight Edge stock, weight feel more forward, although it does balance at the front action screw. To me, it's about ideal for what I use it for.

DF

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Now, now. You know that shooting multiple 3 shot groups don’t mean anything.
You gotta shoot 10 shot strings to find out anything !!
whistle blush

Nice Rifle, nice weight, nice handling, GREAT shooting. cool

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I only shoot three shot groups for load development. After I get my load figured out. I shoot one or shots about a week before deer season. It’s the first shot counts the most.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Great looking rifle! One day I’ll realize that I’m generally over-gunned and buy something more pratical.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Did the groups hit in the same position relative to the POA? What would the composite group look like if you overlaid the targets?

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Fine looking rifle which should serve you well. Not to worry regarding 3 shot groups imo, they are more than adequate for a hunting rifle. Target shooters may want a larger sample, but for hunting folks who are only going to shoot 2 rounds (at the most) at an animal , a 3 shot group tells you what you need to know. Good hunting...

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Unless you are punching targets for score, it is irrelevant whether you shoot three, or five-shot groups. Three is all that will ever matter for a hunting rifle. As long as the load does it with consistency, it is all you need. Most of my loads are way more consistent that I am, anyway.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
For me, three shot groups confirm zero and the overall health of what I have going. Plus I am usually too cheap to toss too many rounds down range with factory ammo. With handloads i usually shoot a bunch more.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I usually shoot 3 or 5 shot groups. Not all of us have a great big money tree in the back yard. Mine died.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I can't believe this is an issue. Three shot groups are a perfectly reasonable and sound way to test your rifle's ability to take game and overall accuracy consistency. What's not to like?

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
JMHO:

3-shot groups are fine to see if your hunting rifle/load is good enough for hunting.

For seeing just how accurate your rifle is, which necessarily includes comparing your rifle to other rifles of know accuracy, 5-shots is the universally accepted number of shots for a group. Of course, regardless of number of shots in a group, the more groups you shoot, the better.

Because there is some "bell-curve randomness" in the printing of groups, a 3-shot group size is not as repeatable as a 5-shot group size. Thus, a single 3-shot group is less likely to show a rifle's true accuracy potential than a 5-shot group. A good rule of thumb is that for a particular rifle and load, the 5-shot group will be *about* twice as big as the corresponding 3-shot group. In other words, a 3-shot one-inch group is *about* equivalent to a 5-shot two inch group. (Notice the word "about" is emphasized)

7- or 10-shot groups are even more reliable, but it is a case of diminishing returns, and the accuracy-minded shooting community has gravitated to the 5-shot group as the acceptable accuracy standard without going overboard on the number of shots required.

Regardless, if you are happy with your rifle's 3-shot groups, and you don't care about its 5-shots groups, then continue to be happy and go hunting, since the whole point of all this is to have fun (unless your a professional sniper where accuracy is serious business and you'll get laughed at if you start bragging about your gun's single 3-shot group).

Again, JMHO.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
As we grow older (sometimes wiser) many of us tend toward more practical rounds, away from big boomers to get the job done.

With the 150 NPT, nothing (short of DG) is safe. The 7-08 will duplicate 7x57 performance and that round has a very long and impressive track record. The 7-08 has a pretty good track record itself.

And as oft quoted by our resident guru from the far North, "it's the boolit, not the headstamp". There's truth in that statement. And, where that bullet strikes the critter is probably the most important factor of all.

DF

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
When working up loads or just plain whiling away time at the shooting bench, I use 5 or 10 shot groups for a better statistical average. Sighting /practicing with a hunting rifle, 3 shot groups are my pleasure, especially with a recently acquired Ruger #1 which prints bughole 3-shotters and then starts walking the 4th and 5th shots upwards an inch.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
Did the groups hit in the same position relative to the POA? What would the composite group look like if you overlaid the targets?

John

All were centered, 1 1/2" high at a hundred. I never overlapped them. but POI looked about the same. Groups didn't shift enough to be evident.

Years ago, I bought a 40XB in .244. It came from Remington with an aggregate .38" target of three (3) shot groups, 60 gr. Sierra over 3031. That's the way they tested it. So, my thinking, if it's good enough for Remington, it'll do for me.

Now, if I had shot a 10 shot string, would it still be less than 1/2". I don't know, but think it would be pretty close. If I took the largest group, .64", as the standard, it would still be pretty good. And, my 4 wheeler shooting bench wasn't the best, just very handy.

DF

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Fine rig you got there DF!!

Dont eat the big white mint!
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (10gaugemag, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 54 invisible), 2,363 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,323
Posts18,468,478
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.